Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm taking the family to Galveston next month and that place is only a mile or so off of the toll loop. I'm thinking I'm going to have to pull over and check it out.
    You'll be disappointed. I guess everybody needs to swing through there once just to say they've been to Carter's. Still, I've documented my feelings about the place elsewhere, so I won't go into that in this thread where it would be terribly off-topic.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    You'll be disappointed. I guess everybody needs to swing through there once just to say they've been to Carter's. Still, I've documented my feelings about the place elsewhere, so I won't go into that in this thread where it would be terribly off-topic.
    Divulge and save me a trip

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Divulge and save me a trip
    Big store with lots of stuff. If you just want to buy something, they're fine. They're mostly condescending lousy-knowledge-but-think-they-know-everything counter commandos if you start talking with them but the store is OK for making a purchase and leaving.

They have odd rules about the presence/visibility of firearms. Make sure you read all the signs posted at the front door and obey all the rules they set forth. You may not be treated nicely if you don't.

They are perfectly happy to up-sell and rip off newbies.

He's passed on now but the founder was a big supporter of gun control and tried to get gun shows banned. He was the ultimate Fudd and thought no one needed those scary black rifles. This has, of course, changed over the years; they couldn't pass up the profit from that market segment.

The range is a whole 'nother story. (Caveat - I haven't been for years and I hope they're better now.) People point guns at people all the damn time and the RSOs are asleep. No one seems to have any manners. Really sketchy folks show up. If the RSOs decide to take some action, they're complete jerks about it and will brook no discussion of the topic. To top it all off, it's the only range I've ever attended where they once ejected a shooter for rapid fire when he was using a Ruger No. 1.

A subdivision went in down range and they've done all sorts of strange, silly things to appease those folks. Ultimately, I don't think they're willing to really invest in the range because they feel they're going to lose it. That is pure and wild conjecture on my part and should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

There are at least two threads on this board dedicated to complaining about Carter's, here and here.

YMMV and my experience is way out of date so, if you stop by, let us know how it went.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Big store with lots of stuff. If you just want to buy something, they're fine. They're mostly condescending lousy-knowledge-but-think-they-know-everything counter commandos if you start talking with them but the store is OK for making a purchase and leaving.

They have odd rules about the presence/visibility of firearms. Make sure you read all the signs posted at the front door and obey all the rules they set forth. You may not be treated nicely if you don't.

He's passed on now but the founder was a big supporter of gun control and tried to get gun shows banned. He was the ultimate Fudd and thought no one needed those scary black rifles. This has, of course, changed over the years; they couldn't pass up the profit from that market segment.

The range is a whole 'nother story. (Caveat - I haven't been for years and I hope they're better now.) People point guns at people all the damn time and the RSOs are asleep. No one seems to have any manners. Really sketchy folks show up. If the RSOs decide to take some action, they're complete jerks about it and will brook no discussion of the topic. To top it all off, it's the only range I've ever attended where they once ejected a shooter for rapid fire when he was using a Ruger No. 1.
    A subdivision went in down range and they've done all sorts of strange, silly things to appease those folks. Ultimately, I don't think they're willing to really invest in the range because they feel they're going to lose it. That is pure and wild conjecture on my part and should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

There are at least two threads on this board dedicated to complaining about Carter's, here and here.

YMMV and my experience is way out of date so, if you stop by, let us know how it went.
    Well said sir.

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area

Never knew all this. I only go in from time to time for small stuff. There's only one location somewhat close to me and it's probably their smallest location.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX

TulAmmo 7.62X39MM 122 grain Full Metal Jacket, steel case, LIMIT 24-$6.95 p/bx- no tax and free shipping on orders $125+ with code "FREE2022"​

https://www.buckinghorseoutpost.com...tal-jacket-steel-case-20rds-per-box-limit-24/

Tries to charge me tax FYI. Possibly takes the tax off when you put in the code. Can't put in the code unless you sign in and an account is necessary to purchase from them.

Not a bad price considering current situation but it is a HORRIBLE price compared to what it should be.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Tries to charge me tax FYI. Possibly takes the tax off when you put in the code. Can't put in the code unless you sign in and an account is necessary to purchase from them.

Not a bad price considering current situation but it is a HORRIBLE price compared to what it should be.

It could be that some Texas zip codes are flagged for tax and some are not, like the one I used to check for this post. I had read this morning others in Texas having similar issues, I'll edit if I still can.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston

Is this a good deal and decent enough setup to get started?

$318.23 with tax and shipping.
    Yeah i think so.

Can't go wrong with a rock chucker.

I like hand primer setups.

Not sure about the beam scale

I have an old Lyman powder drop like that and it works great.

You might end up replacing everything slowly over time but it's a good setup, and a good price.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom