TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Any thoughts?

I'd like something good sized, for intimidation factor if needed, say 4" blade. Preferably that can be horizontally carried and USA made. And not too spendy.

I've got a sweet Joe Watson blade but cant figure out a way to semi-discretely carry it. I tried a Blade tech clip but it sticks out like a sore thumb and isn't easy on/off.

Which one of his blades do you have, and what size is it? Depending on the size, the methods I've found easiest are horizontal on the belt line with a rubber bicycle inner tube sleeve wrapped around the sheath and belt. This allows a bit of movement so it can move with you and be a bit more comfortable.

7259883242_4863048447_c.png

2012-04-28 13.23.54 by Dillo Dynamics, on Flickr

Also, I've found that in a side pocket with a length of paracord attached from the sheath to wrapped around the belt. If you can get it to sit at the rear most part of the side pocket, it will basically be along the side of your thigh, and can be very comfortable for sitting, moving around, etc. without it impeding movement. A bit slower to draw from though.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

Yep, I have one of those too. It's small enough that horizontal on the belt line (at 10-11 or 1-2 o'clock) would work well. I have a gut, and it's still comfortable for me to do to the point that I completely forget I have it on me. Since the sheath doesn't already have a clip on it, you might want to find a way to secure a section of bicycle inner tube on it. Those clips are usually cheap to buy from lots of places.

Also, another option would be using an IWB belt loop, like for a holster, on one of the top two rivets and wearing it vertically IWB at around 9 o'clock.

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    Anyone tried a Spyderco G clip for mounting a blade? I tried the Blade Tech Clip on the JW blade again; still too bulky. The G clip looks a bit slimmer and easier to conceal.

Saw a Buck 625 at Academy yesterday; too freakin' big(obligatory TWSS)! It would be like carrying a ruler around.

Found a Gerber Guardian back up at Gander Mtn. Looked good in the package; blade made in USA, plastic sheath, slim, 3.4" blade. Then I took it out. The sheath is for crap. Other than that it was about perfect. And if I could mount it horizontally.

The search continues.

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    I've been a student of knife combatives for 20+ years.

I carry a Bark River Mini Canadian with a 2.2" blade (cuts bigger than it should). In the field I carry a Bark River Gameskeeper with a 4.5" blade.

The Bark River Canadian Special is 4" blade is the absolute best knife I've ever owned. I gifted it to a friend and mentor.

If I seem to favor Bark River it's because I do. I have no affiliation with the company. They just make a very good product. None of these are tacticool but they are excellent knives. The sheaths they come with are garbage.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Which one of his blades do you have, and what size is it? Depending on the size, the methods I've found easiest are horizontal on the belt line with a rubber bicycle inner tube sleeve wrapped around the sheath and belt. This allows a bit of movement so it can move with you and be a bit more comfortable.

7259883242_4863048447_c.png

2012-04-28 13.23.54 by Dillo Dynamics, on Flickr

Also, I've found that in a side pocket with a length of paracord attached from the sheath to wrapped around the belt. If you can get it to sit at the rear most part of the side pocket, it will basically be along the side of your thigh, and can be very comfortable for sitting, moving around, etc. without it impeding movement. A bit slower to draw from though.

You need to cut weight lol

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I don't know what you're talking about, and I plead the 5th. LOL I'm down 18lbs from when that picture was taken at least.

lol I ws just joking with ya. I too have lost 22lbs after the wife got on me about my food baby.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Anyone tried a Spyderco G clip for mounting a blade? I tried the Blade Tech Clip on the JW blade again; still too bulky. The G clip looks a bit slimmer and easier to conceal.

Saw a Buck 625 at Academy yesterday; too freakin' big(obligatory TWSS)! It would be like carrying a ruler around.

Found a Gerber Guardian back up at Gander Mtn. Looked good in the package; blade made in USA, plastic sheath, slim, 3.4" blade. Then I took it out. The sheath is for crap. Other than that it was about perfect. And if I could mount it horizontally.

The search continues.

What don't you like about the sheath? I have one and don't mind the sheath.

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    For the guardian back up?

Mostly the flimsy retention. I should qualify the original statement; I posted that after playing with it for 15-30 mins and it may have not been the best time to post a review. I've fiddled with it some more and better understand how its supposed to work but still feel it's suspect.

I love the slimness of the sheath, I just wish I could mount it horizontally and that the retention was closer to the JW sheath; form fitted, the blade snaps in place, etc.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement

The search continues.

How are you trying to carry it?

I like IWB loops, G clips are cool as well.

TexCzech

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    South Texas
    I'd like to throw in my .2 cents an say look at Tops brand knives as they are 100% made in the USA an are of great quality . They can be a little pricey at times but I believe there worth it an they have a ridiculous selection of models to choose from . I have been carrying a fixed blade and a folder as my normal everyday gear an find that finding one that fits with out feeling it all the time is difficult , although being fat don't help lol

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    As of now, the JW knife is on the night stand and the Gerber is in the truck. Just carrying a folder for now.

I've been contemplating ordering a G clip to try it out on the JW. The big issue I had with the Blade Tech clip was it is very stiff and difficult to put on/take off and it makes the whole contraption stick out farther than I'd like.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom