• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    we have heard the 4 rules of firearm safety time and time again. i have always followed the rules to the letter...until today. i havent been to the range in several weeks so everything was out of practice. all went well till the end. i got sloppy, and thank god no one got hurt.

in the process of field stripping my glock, i pulled back on the slide to release the take down locks but couldnt get it right. then i remembered i need to pill the trigger first. so i went to rack the slide and guess what came tumbling out.. yup. a round that i had not realized was there. i kept it in a safe direction at all times; but the fact that i had forgotten about it is some scary shyt.

so my brothers and sisters dont ever let your gaurd down, and dont ever stop praticing the 4 rules...
    Hurley's Gold

Ruggles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Glad it turned out OK. Glad for your honesty in admitting the error, some folks who not be so forthcoming.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I was dry firing my 642 and handed to my son to get his opinion on the trigger now that I've fired a few hundred rounds. Was good to see him open it up and check it, even though he had just seen me dry firing.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I was dry firing my 642 and handed to my son to get his opinion on the trigger now that I've fired a few hundred rounds. Was good to see him open it up and check it, even though he had just seen me dry firing.

I learned a long time ago that checking to insure a weapon is unloaded is MY responsibility. My best friend and I have been shooting together for close to 30 years. If he sees me check a gun and hand it to him he will check it also. It is not a mistrust issue. It is an unspoken bond that we are both on the same safety page. I do not like when some one hands me a gun (as a firearms instructor this happens 30-40 times a day) with out checking it first (in front of me). I have ejected several officers from the range for handing me loaded weapons.

As a rookie, we had an old timer that demanded I hand him my S&W M-66 for him to "inspect". I removed it from the holster and unloaded it. He admonished me for removing the ammo. He said he wanted to check the ammo as well. I said "I'll be damned if I'm going to hand you a loaded gun, old man". He chuckled and said I passed his test. I found out later he was infamous for emptying rookie's guns into the air and demanding a memo as to why the gun was discharged. Yes cranking off 6 rounds of .357 magnum into the air is now considered a seriously irresponsible act, but 25 years ago it made a point.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Yep, you've got to stay vigillant, and not let yourself get distracted by people talking to you or other things going on around you. I think that's were normally very safe gun owners get into trouble. Like talking on a cell phone while driving.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    IMO posting these kind of happenstances are goods for everyone.
    It serves as a reminder that anyone of us can have a lapse on safety.
    We are human and humans make mistakes and oversights.
    Thanks for the honesty!

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    I went to the indoor range with a buddy a few weeks ago. He isn't very gun savey so I watched him closely and gave pointers when needed. He was doing so well with handling the weapon, counting his rounds, checking the weapon after each fire session. Took my eyes off him for 1 second to grab a broom and BOOM, he shoots the ceiling. We were the only ones in the room at the time and maybe subconsciously he was relaxed or just tired. But that was the end of that session.

You can't check a weapon enough times plain and simple. I never hand anyone a loaded weapon. Anytime I hand someone a weapon, I tell them it's empty. If they don't check it, I grab it back, check it, say it's empty again and hand it to them again. If they don't check it, I grab it and repeat till they get the point. If someone were to hand me a loaded weapon, unless I asked for it that way, I would be mad and happy. Mad you handed me a loaded weapon when I didn't ask for it, and happy I got free ammo which I will unload and keep.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If he sees me check a gun and hand it to him he will check it also. It is not a mistrust issue. It is an unspoken bond that we are both on the same safety page.

Makes me proud to see my 14 yr. old son do the same thing anytime I, or anyone else, hands him a gun.

crs2fer4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Grapevine, TX
    I can recall back in '94 when I purchased my first hand gun a Ruger .40. My best friend, a self professed gun expert, was having a serious talk with me about gun safety after we returned from the range. We were sitting in the living room of his apartment and he removes his Beretta 9mm from its case and discussing the importance of the safey etc. He then was lecturing me about never pointing a gun in the direction of anyone regardless of the gun being empty after dumping the clip on the coffee table. He then proceeded to point at the ceiling and fire a live round right into the ceiling. (He had neighbors that lived right above him) The incident scared me to the point I will obsessively check the gun every time I pick it up. There were people in the living room directly above us, and thank God the round never penetrated the floor of their apt.

glockrocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I learned a long time ago that checking to insure a weapon is unloaded is MY responsibility. My best friend and I have been shooting together for close to 30 years. If he sees me check a gun and hand it to him he will check it also. It is not a mistrust issue. It is an unspoken bond that we are both on the same safety page. I do not like when some one hands me a gun (as a firearms instructor this happens 30-40 times a day) with out checking it first (in front of me). I have ejected several officers from the range for handing me loaded weapons.

As a rookie, we had an old timer that demanded I hand him my S&W M-66 for him to "inspect". I removed it from the holster and unloaded it. He admonished me for removing the ammo. He said he wanted to check the ammo as well. I said "I'll be damned if I'm going to hand you a loaded gun, old man". He chuckled and said I passed his test. I found out later he was infamous for emptying rookie's guns into the air and demanding a memo as to why the gun was discharged. Yes cranking off 6 rounds of .357 magnum into the air is now considered a seriously irresponsible act, but 25 years ago it made a point.

Thats classy, I like that. But on the other hand, am I the only one that feels American gun owners have become just a tad bit over-zealous with 'Firearm Safety' to appease 2A bashers. I mean, I know accidental discharges happen and it sad when they do, but when I was growing up (and I'm sure most people on this board can relate), when my old man handed me a gun he would either say "careful, its chambered" or "i believe its emptied, check it". either way I kept my finger off the trigger and didnt point it anything I didnt want to die. I have to say, I am sick and tired of all these youtube gun orientated video where the first 20 seconds is dedicated to some douchebag sounding off like he is a USMC trained mall ninja, about how it is so goddamn important to make sure the chamber is empty. it gets old, we got the message. then if he doesnt, then its a parade of royal ass-chewing by alleged 2nd amendment supporters in the 'comments' section about gun safety. what the hell is this, a new fad? everybody calm down and just use common sense, there is really one rule to follow.. NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO DESTROY! case dismissed.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    am I the only one that feels American gun owners have become just a tad bit over-zealous with 'Firearm Safety' to appease 2A bashers.

Before you know it, we will all be walking around with safety helmets, tethererd to walking rails, and sidewalks will be covered with foam. We already stopped keeping soccer scores.

I don't think you can be too safe when it comes to firearms. Hate to sound like a broken record, but in this case I'll make an exception. It may be due to my re-entering the shooting world and my immediate family is just entering the shooting world.

glockrocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    By no means am I saying 'do not respect firearms as deadly weapons', but enough of this cult status of them being the only tool on earth that can cause unwanted harm. Enough of falling over ourselves to exhibit this.. I want to call it 'p.c. like' behavior, trying to outdo one another in the ways of acting skidish, like were touching nuclear reactor cores everytime we grasp a firearm. I'm not out to offend anyone here, nor do I have a real solid point. Merely venting at a growing trend... making me kind of sick.

Darkwind

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Houston
    the range I normally use- TopGun in Houston, has booths riddled with bullet holes- showing the results of MANY a Maalox moment. practice safety often, get proper protocols into muscle memory so it becomes second nature

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    we have heard the 4 rules of firearm safety time and time again. i have always followed the rules to the letter...until today. i havent been to the range in several weeks so everything was out of practice. all went well till the end. i got sloppy, and thank god no one got hurt.

in the process of field stripping my glock, i pulled back on the slide to release the take down locks but couldnt get it right. then i remembered i need to pill the trigger first. so i went to rack the slide and guess what came tumbling out.. yup. a round that i had not realized was there. i kept it in a safe direction at all times; but the fact that i had forgotten about it is some scary shyt.

so my brothers and sisters dont ever let your gaurd down, and dont ever stop praticing the 4 rules...

Good thing it ended well, crap like that will give you the heebee geebees and make you focus and pay attention won't it?

Top Bottom