• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mousegun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2014
    Bowie
    I actually live in a small town north of the DFW area, and wanted some options other than Bass Pro and Cabelas. I am mainly looking for places with a moderate selection. I tend to buy guns I just happen to see and like in the moment, so shops specialized in only ars or hunting guns don't really interest me.

Thanks,

Mousegun
    Hurley's Gold

newguy4104

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Northeast of Dallas
    My recommendation is Gun Gear to Go in Plano. I have become a bit of an anti-chain store buyer lately and Cabela's lost my business after all the ammo-shortage melarchy. I just purchased an XD two weeks ago from G-G-2-G and the experience was excellent. I had been in previously just window shopping and the low pressure service was what led me to go back. While I was in there, my wife wandered around and ended up discussing Sig's with another sales-member while I was filling out paperwork. Once we left, she mentioned that she felt very comfortable there and would love to purchase from them again. (possibly more guns in my future!!) :loaded:

The staff answered all my questions and worked to ensure the buying process went smoothly. The consignment selection was great at the time and I ended up getting an excellent deal. I know it sounds like a sales pitch, but I am truly thrilled with the experience.

mousegun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2014
    Bowie
    Cool, sounds like I need to check out Gun Gear to Go. Several years ago there was a place in Lewisville, but it went out of business and I have been purchasing most of my stuff on gun broker. I miss window shopping and the small gun store where I live recently shut down.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Gun Gear To Go is a nice store - it's pretty well-stocked, fairly close to where I work and I've started dropping in there first whenever I need a part or something.

Tired Retired

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    DFW Area
    If you are looking for a big selection and at least average prices, I would suggest "Cheaper Than Dirt - Guns" in McKinney. They are on corner of 380 and 75. They are the store front of the catalog gun sales part of the company. (How that company is divided and operates is kept a mystery for some reason). A lot of people do not like the company for all the price gouging they have done and I actually do not buy much of anything from them anymore. However, if you are looking to pop into the North end of the DFW metroplex and want to buy a gun at a average or less price, I would send you there. Because gun buying to about what you pay going out the door for a specific gun - all customer service issues are done by the manufacturer not the store that retails it.

Hope that is helpful...

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    Hmmm I will have to go look at Gun Gear To Go myself, it sounds nice. I will second Ray's, they have a nice selection. Bachman Pawn also has a decent selection.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Was just at gun gear. First time, EXTREMELY helpful staff. If you're a curmudgeon like me may find a little annoying.
    Selection pretty good and prices not too bad.
    And polish food just down the service road:)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Cheaper Than Dirt (aside from being fairly well hated 'round this board) is definitely not priced "at least average" - they consistently price around $200 or more higher than their competition. That dirt must be awful nice considering what they think "cheap" is.

I'll definitely throw in another vote for Gun Gear To Go. Helpful staff that knows what they're talking about - and knows when to shut up and let you browse. Rarely crowded. Good selection - including hard to find stuff. The only time I've ever seen a KSG anywhere but the internet was there - they had three in stock when it first came out.

The gun store attached to Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville is nice, but I didn't really browse when I was there.

There's a gun store in McKinney but they seem to be on their way out. Called "Gun & Knife Supply" or something similar. They don't have much in stock, but their prices are about average. They're in a tiny little shop on 380 that isn't going to help their business - they had a nice, big shop but moved last month. Now I'm not sure where their customers are supposed to park if they want to visit...

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I agree that CTD is more aptly named cheaper than gold.
    I wish there was a good shop in the south Arlington/Ft. Worth area.

I know Elk Castle on I-30, but their prices are also a bit pricey for some things.

BTW they are building a Gander Mountain in Arlington next to the Highlands shopping center on I-20.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I went to a little shop out by Lake Lavon recently. Its called Armadillo Guns. (they have a website) Really nice guys there, and a decent pistol range. Rifle range is in progress of being built.

They will order any item you want. And they do transfers for only $10 if you are a member there. I have done a few with them. The guns in stock are mostly low end stuff, with a few Glocks, Sigs and S&W thrown in.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Was just at gun gear. First time, EXTREMELY helpful staff. If you're a curmudgeon like me may find a little annoying.
    I agree - leave me alone and don't come up to me in every - single - aisle asking if I need help. As nice as they are, that's the one thing about them that WILL drive me away eventually; let me browse in peace, darnit.

Say hello and tell me something like "Good morning - feel free to browse around and give us a wave if you need any help, ok?"

Last edited:

newguy4104

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Northeast of Dallas
    +1 for the sentiments against CTD. I will be honest, their selection is excellent - however I was a (self inflicted) victim of price gouging. I purchased an AR in January of last year... I know - bad timing.... and I have since come to find out that I paid over DOUBLE what they are going for now.

OU_Colt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    McKinney, TX
    Don't forget Bullet Trap on K between Park and Parker in Plano. They have a good selection and are pretty good on prices. They have a range too.

Nev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Cheaper than dirt in North Fort Worth is nice.

Thanks! Didn't know that was there. Beats driving out to McKinney/Allen. I like the selection. Yes, they gouged bad during the ammo shortage. Unforgivably so.

There's a new Gander Mountain store in Lewisville that's good. Gun prices are high, but lots of ammo and supplies.

Last edited:

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I like Todd - very dry sense of humor.

I had a receiver in there a couple years ago and I had to wait a while to get it (turns out they reset the counter on your time in-state back to zero once a Green Card is actually issued - so I had to wait a further 90 days) so I asked him what they'd charge to store the receiver for me until I was legal.

He rubbed his chin and said "Well, it won't need no feedin' or waterin' jus' sittin' there in the safe, so... no charge." :D

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    I like Todd - very dry sense of humor.

I had a receiver in there a couple years ago and I had to wait a while to get it (turns out they reset the counter on your time in-state back to zero once a Green Card is actually issued - so I had to wait a further 90 days) so I asked him what they'd charge to store the receiver for me until I was legal.

He rubbed his chin and said "Well, it won't need no feedin' or waterin' jus' sittin' there in the safe, so... no charge." :D

Yep, that sounds like Todd, LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Top Bottom