• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robbo75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    My father in law is looking for a good handgun with out spending too much any suggestions?
    Military Camp

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I would suggest that your father in law spend some time at the range with a wide variety of pistols before buying one - or at least handle as many as possible first. A make/model that one person loves might not work for another.

As for value-priced pistols, Glock, Springfield XD, Ruger, Smith & Wesson M&P, and Steyr (if you can find them) are generally considered to be reliable and good values. For revolvers, Ruger offer excellent value, Smith & Wesson makes great revolvers that tend to be pricier, and Taurus seems to be hit-or-miss on finish quality but works OK.

As for caliber, 9mm is readily available from most manufacturers, the cheapest centerfire caliber on the market, has moderate recoil characteristics, and adequate stopping power.

For revolvers, .38 special (.38spl) is close to 9mm in terms of stopping power, with the added bonus that many .38spl revolvers can also chamber the much more potent .357 magnum round.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would call CDNN and see if they have any used Sig P6's left. That was about the best deal on the market for a while. They also might have some .357 Sig HK USPc's for about $499 brand new!

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    The Rock Island GI 45s are about $339 at centerfiresystems.com.They have other pistols too choose from.CDNN has Glocks cheap.

txpete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    picked up this CZ40B in 40 S&W for 325.00 otd.its a great shooter.
    40005.gif

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I would call CDNN and see if they have any used Sig P6's left. That was about the best deal on the market for a while. They also might have some .357 Sig HK USPc's for about $499 brand new!

I would be hesitant to recommend a handgun chambered in .357sig to someone as (what sounds to be) a first handgun. A bit spendy and snappy on the recoil.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would be hesitant to recommend a handgun chambered in .357sig to someone as (what sounds to be) a first handgun. A bit spendy and snappy on the recoil.

Ever since he got one, now Alan can stop touting the .357 sig cartridge and rattling off it's benefits. I have to hear it alllllllll day long. ;) He will now likely argue that it is no more expensive or snappy than .40sw among other things. ;)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    full house 10mm > .357 Sig. ;)

Anyways, here's some guns I'd suggest:

-Surplus Sig P225/P6 (~$260-350)
    -Stoeger Cougar (Beretta Cougar remake, excellent quality ~$300-350 new)
    -Rock Island Armory 1911's (some of them can be found on the low end of $300-350 new)
    -S&W Sigma (not the best guns in the world and some have their issues but you can usually find them for under $300)
    -Ruger P95 (seems you can find these for $350 or less usually)
    -Taurus 24/7, PT111, or any other polymer frame Taurus' (usually you can find some of these under $400, and certain models under $350)

Also, usually you can find plenty of used Sigs, Glocks, Taurus PT92's, and Berettas under $400, and if you look hard possibly under $350. Most of those manufacturers build high quality stuff so I wouldn't be too worried about buying used. My vote is to go with a surplus P225/P6 or Stoeger Cougar as those are probably two of the best deals around considering the price and how high quality those guns are compared to everything else around that price range.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    No EAA Witness, Travis?... :P

Heck yeah! After the few I've shot, I highly recommend any of the CZ clones out there, CZ's, EAA Witness', Armalite AR-24 (supposedly those have some issues), and there are I think several other clones out there. The thing is, most of them seem to be above $400. However, I have seen on Gunbroker that you can find some standard EAA Witness' for under $400, and those are d@mn good guns for the money.

All of that said, considering that you can buy a surplus Sig P6 for ~$260-300 from many retailers, I honestly don't think there is any better deal out there.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Heck yeah! After the few I've shot, I highly recommend any of the CZ clones out there, CZ's, EAA Witness', Armalite AR-24 (supposedly those have some issues), and there are I think several other clones out there. The thing is, most of them seem to be above $400. However, I have seen on Gunbroker that you can find some standard EAA Witness' for under $400, and those are d@mn good guns for the money.

All of that said, considering that you can buy a surplus Sig P6 for ~$260-300 from many retailers, I honestly don't think there is any better deal out there.

I'm surprised you forgot about it.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    One brand that is getting more and more recognition is Bersa. They are great guns, I own three of my own and love 'em

I second that. As far as inexpensive guns go, those seem to be a pretty good deal and reliable judging by the people I've known that have owned them and their experiences with them.

machinisttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I would suggest that your father in law spend some time at the range with a wide variety of pistols before buying one - or at least handle as many as possible first. A make/model that one person loves might not work for another.

As for value-priced pistols, Glock, Springfield XD, Ruger, Smith & Wesson M&P, and Steyr (if you can find them) are generally considered to be reliable and good values. For revolvers, Ruger offer excellent value, Smith & Wesson makes great revolvers that tend to be pricier, and Taurus seems to be hit-or-miss on finish quality but works OK.

As for caliber, 9mm is readily available from most manufacturers, the cheapest centerfire caliber on the market, has moderate recoil characteristics, and adequate stopping power.

For revolvers, .38 special (.38spl) is close to 9mm in terms of stopping power, with the added bonus that many .38spl revolvers can also chamber the much more potent .357 magnum round.

No .38 special revolver will chamber .357 magnum. The magnum case is roughly 1/8th of an inch longer. Any .357 revolver, however, will chamber the shorter .38 special.

As for the original poster's question, your dad needs to shoot as many different guns as possible and find the one he likes the best. I suggest he look at the CZ75 series and it's offspring such as the SP01. If he's into revolvers, a Ruger GP100, S&W 686, or similar guns may be more to his liking.

robbo75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    thanks everyone

My father in law is an old timer he has had many rifles, shotguns and revolvers. He just recently decided he would like semi-auto pistol to add to his collection but he just wants one at this time that is reliable but without spending a lot.

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    My father in law is an old timer he has had many rifles, shotguns and revolvers. He just recently decided he would like semi-auto pistol to add to his collection but he just wants one at this time that is reliable but without spending a lot.

I have nothing but good things to say about my Springfield XD-9. I believe I paid just shy of $500 for it brand new, and probably have somewhere in the range of 2500-3500 rounds down the tube with no problems. That includes pretty much all factory loads I can get and several different handload recipies as well.

Outstanding quality and accuracy at a reasonable price. Many of the other makes and models listed on this thread are fine weapons as well.

Best thing he could do is find a range that will rent firearms and try a few out - whichever one he likes best is probably the choice to make, regardless of how many of us tout our personal favorites.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom