• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    If you have the day off, or are just looking for a good movie, I just finished this one while I was cleaning up the house this morning. Assembly ?2007?, Full movie with english subtitle, war movie - YouTube

It's a Chinese movie that follows the trials of a captain and his trials and tribulations during battle and also after the war. It is interesting because the captain gets "captured" and pressed into serving in the "enemy's" army, but little is made of this. It reminded me of the Korean movie "My Way" where two men are captured over and over again until they end up being taken prisoner by US forces on D-Day.

Anyway, thought you guys might enjoy it .
    Venture Surplus ad

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks for the link Mike, I just watched the first battle scene and this looks like a great movie. One question though, did they really have such a mish-mash of weapons or did the producers have problems rounding up enough firearms? If you look carefully, and it's difficult as the camera quickly pans amongst the actors you'll variously see Siamese Mauser, Mauser 98k, Sten gun, Bren Gun, Johnson M1941, M3 SMG, PPsh 43, 1903 Springfield, Bar 1918, and Browning 1919. Might even be a ZB 30, Japanese 99 and a Type 100 SMG thrown in for good measure. It doesn't detract at all from the movie though and might even be historically correct.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I don't know about those specific models, but there was certainly a huge variance in types of weapons they used, especially secondary infantry. There wasn't regular issue rifles from what I've read, because they didn't have enough of them. It was a basic, if it fires, then we'll use it. So that's likely an accurate portrayal on that aspect. .

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    As far as I know, yes they did. The revolutionary forces were kind of completely random. Actually, later in the movie they pick up a Lee Enfield, which hilariously the characters identify as a "type 77", and they kind of address that issue. I know that the US sent 40,000 Enfields to China as well as numbers of Springfields. The German weapons I am not sure where they would have gotten them. When the Chinese fought the Japanese they captured weapons from all over the place. The Japanese had their weapons as well as Russian, American, French and English weapons they had captured. I'm not sure if all the weapons are "historically" explicable, the Johnson I cannot explain, but I feel like since there was little or no standardization, it's not completely unbelievable.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom