• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    So I was up at the cedar park academy today to pick up some 223 for the multigun match this weekend and ended up talking to the manager. Asked him if they were every going to get small rifle primers in (they have all the others cept magnums). He informed me of some VERY good news. Not only will they probably be getting small rifle primers in but they will also start carrying powder and maybe even dies, brass and bullets. Something tells me they are at least going to be comparable if not better than Cabelas in price and will hopefully have a decent selection. Just figured I would pass along the word that Academy is bout to get ALOT friendlier to us reloaders :banana:

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Thats great news. Wonder if the other locations will be carrying reloading supplies as well. Ive just abour given up on Cabelas. Theyve never got what I'm looking for it seems like and only carry bottom of the line greenbox rcbs dies.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    The Academy in Corpus has a whole aisle of reloading components now. That includes presses, powder, etc. iirc.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Abilene Academy has had primers for months now but thats the only components I've seen

Grog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Texas
    I hope this is a corporate move and all stores begin to stock primers and powder. That would make things very convenient.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'd like to see that happen in Waco. The new Cabelas outpost has their powder marked at $27/lb, it would be nice to see it a little cheaper at academy.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I hope this is a corporate move and all stores begin to stock primers and powder. That would make things very convenient.

They may set it up in test markets first to see how it goes. So if you don't see it at your store right away, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't see it eventually.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It would be great if it ever makes it to our local store.
    Components are pretty thin in these parts.

I've heard that some Wal-Marts sell reloading supplies but I've never seen that either.
    That would be fantastic if they did.

jwiatrek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Austin TX/Karnes County TX
    I have been asking the Academy on 183 just north of the Arboretum for a long time and they keep teling me they have no plans ... I am glad to hear that has changed! Given that ALL components are in short supply maybe it will take time for all the stores to get components.

I was at McBride's (don't usually go there becasue I find their staff very rude) and they had a few powders on the shelf which was a surprise and the reloading guy, David, was actually very freindly. Anyway he said that the number of people that are now getting into reloading has exploded and that has made the component situation even worse.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    In Baytown, the only reloading components are the 209 primers used in black powder rifles. There is some good news, however! The only ammo being rationed in Baytown is .22LR. Everything else is stocked on the shelves with no limit. .22LR comes in only occasionally and not much arrives when we receive it at all.

Flash

Grog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Texas
    Anyone checked the store on 183 and 35 in Austin? If no-one has, I may check tomorrow or Thursday at lunch.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I have been asking the Academy on 183 just north of the Arboretum for a long time and they keep teling me they have no plans ... I am glad to hear that has changed! Given that ALL components are in short supply maybe it will take time for all the stores to get components.

I was at McBride's (don't usually go there becasue I find their staff very rude) and they had a few powders on the shelf which was a surprise and the reloading guy, David, was actually very freindly. Anyway he said that the number of people that are now getting into reloading has exploded and that has made the component situation even worse.

y'all just need to meet the right folks in Austin for reloading supplies.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Back in September, I found some Winchester Small Rifle Primers at Academy. About $3.99 each. Bought five flats of 100 each. Solved my immediate reloading needs.

Some Walmarts across the country in more rural areas have sold reloading components for years.

Glad to see Academy get in the reloading game.

Side note: Your local Academy only does what it is directed by their District Managers and Corporate HQ. Local managers are very limited when it comes to what their stores can sell, despite popular preference.

Ever note how they want your phone number or zip code? That is data to feed their consumer demand database.

Next time you check out at Academy, don't give your phone number or zip. They will look at you silly but still take your money. Don't feed the information hog.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Back in September, I found some Winchester Small Rifle Primers at Academy. About $3.99 each. Bought five flats of 100 each. Solved my immediate reloading needs.

Some Walmarts across the country in more rural areas have sold reloading components for years.

Glad to see Academy get in the reloading game.

Side note: Your local Academy only does what it is directed by their District Managers and Corporate HQ. Local managers are very limited when it comes to what their stores can sell, despite popular preference.

Ever note how they want your phone number or zip code? That is data to feed their consumer demand database.

Next time you check out at Academy, don't give your phone number or zip. They will look at you silly but still take your money. Don't feed the information hog.

I either decline to enter or enter all 5s. Those damn shopper cards at grocery stores do the same damn thing to the point where these retailers are obsessed with knowing as much details of our life as possible to squeeze that extra cent out. I honestly think that BS is also how most of the country is still so complacent after the NSA revelations, it conditioned us. So hard to have a little privacy today. Better steer my own thread back on topic now :P

Top Bottom