Hurley's Gold

Good pawnshops for gun browsing in San Antonio?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Action Pawn on the corner of 410 and Marbach have a decent size assortment. But the prices are nothing to brag about.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Action Pawn on the corner of 410 and Marbach have a decent size assortment. But the prices are nothing to brag about.

What Skip said, but don't get your expectations up. They may have one or two interesting selections, but their prices aren't worth the trouble.

Why not wait a day and go to the SAXET gun show right next door to that location this weekend?!?

Is that Old Fort Trading Post still open over on General McMullen?

Yeah, I stopped by once a while back, they quit selling guns long before it closed...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Pawnshops in DOSA want lawn mowers, weed eaters, cheap jewelry, power tools, and flat screen TVs. No money to be made from Highpoint zip guns.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Pawn shops in different locations around the city have different stock -- unfortunately though, I've noticed that the prices really suck at all the places that have a large enough collection to be interesting, because they more or less know what they have, and price the merchandise out for $20-$30 less than if you bought retail/new.

At the smaller ones where they only have a small cabinet, it's a total crap shoot regarding the inventory, but the prices are (usually) a little better. The ones I know for sure that usually have decent stock when they haven't been bought dry, are the pawn shop across the drainage ditch from Nagel's Gun Shop, and Pronto Pawn on Perrin Beitel -- I've walked in and seen nothing but Hi-Points one month, an empty cabinet the next, then went back a while later to see a legit Winchester 1887 28" model that they got stung hardcore on and were desperate to sell -- along with a Pre-B CZ-75, a PSL look-alike chambered in 7.62x39, and before the Sandy Hook scare, a half dozen AR-15's, all on different trips. The place within the same strip mall as Don's Guns on the far west side wasn't too bad either, although it had a bunch of generic rifles and hand guns.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Both Action Pawns on Military have a good selection. The one across the street from Target is pretty much a gun store, music store, and pawn shop rolled into one. It's about the size of a WalMart. I buy broken guns there all the time for about half of what they're worth, then fix them up for a few dollars. I only got one good deal at the other one- a $175 P3AT. Needed a little work but it only took five minutes to fix. Gun had some uncut flash that prevented the mag from dropping. No big deal.

The Action Pawn katy-cornered on Fredricksburg (Next to Bud's Guns) doesn't have a great selection but deals can be found there from time to time. They do have good prices on music gear. I once bought about five Beretta 92 factory mags there for $9 each.

American Loan has a decent selection, but prices are usually high Deals can be found there if you are willing to do the hunting. I recently got a SW model 65 for $300 there. I got a $320 Glock 23 there once, too.

I never waste time with any other shops. Their prices and selection always suck. There is one right down from me which I and many others are convinced is just a money-laundering front for the mafia. How's you like to pay $700 for a used Gen 2 Glock 17? Or $660 for a Gen 3 Glock 27 that was clearly tossed out of a car onto asphalt? $500 for a Windows 95 laptop? Then go to James Jewelry & Pawn and find out just how bad a pawn shop can get.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    ^^^^^^^^^^^this.....I go in there often, a couple of days ago the manager said they were going to put out over 300 new guns that they got from their other stores. That was last Friday I believe (action pawn across from Target)

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Both Action Pawns on Military have a good selection. The one across the street from Target is pretty much a gun store, music store, and pawn shop rolled into one. It's about the size of a WalMart. I buy broken guns there all the time for about half of what they're worth, then fix them up for a few dollars. I only got one good deal at the other one- a $175 P3AT. Needed a little work but it only took five minutes to fix. Gun had some uncut flash that prevented the mag from dropping. No big deal.

The Action Pawn katy-cornered on Fredricksburg (Next to Bud's Guns) doesn't have a great selection but deals can be found there from time to time. They do have good prices on music gear. I once bought about five Beretta 92 factory mags there for $9 each.

American Loan has a decent selection, but prices are usually high Deals can be found there if you are willing to do the hunting. I recently got a SW model 65 for $300 there. I got a $320 Glock 23 there once, too.

I never waste time with any other shops. Their prices and selection always suck. There is one right down from me which I and many others are convinced is just a money-laundering front for the mafia. How's you like to pay $700 for a used Gen 2 Glock 17? Or $660 for a Gen 3 Glock 27 that was clearly tossed out of a car onto asphalt? $500 for a Windows 95 laptop? Then go to James Jewelry & Pawn and find out just how bad a pawn shop can get.

^^^^^^^^^^^this.....I go in there often, a couple of days ago the manager said they were going to put out over 300 new guns that they got from their other stores. That was last Friday I believe (action pawn across from Target)

Looks like the girl and I have a few trips to make this week. Thanks.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I should mention there is a third AP on military I forgot about because it has no FFL and I almost never go there. Go to the one by Target and the one on Military and S Flores.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX

Good deals can be had there. Plus, never went dry during the scare.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I should mention there is a third AP on military I forgot about because it has no FFL and I almost never go there. Go to the one by Target and the one on Military and S Flores.

I'm only seeing 2 AP's on Military, the one by Flores and one just East of 35. Where is the 3rd one?

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    There are a couple in between those two on the south side of the street. Neither are worth bothering with as are the rest of the many, many pawn shops on that street.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom