• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    My daughter wants to go camping again. (She is almost 7 and we used to go every 2-3 months in AZ) so she antsy and very used to it. Looking to go in two weeks for a few days, there any good places maybe within an hour to 90 minutes of SA?

Don't need RV hook-ups or crap like that. She likes fishing so that would be good if nearby. Just looking for suggestions.

She is fine with tents, dirt, bugs, animals, etc. She is not a "princess" when it comes to camping. :D
    DK Firearms

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    You're a lucky man, she sounds awesome! There are times to be a young lady (prissy) and other times to be kid.

Inks Lake State Park. It's been many years for me and I hear it may be crowded now but as a teen, I remember sleeping in bag on the ground and the sky above flooded with stars. Good stuff ....

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Yeah, she is awesome. She camped with me the first time when she was 3 years old. It is not easy to solo camp with a 3 year old (we went to a place like L and L in New Braunfels) but it was fun. Now years later she collects firewood, helps set stuff up, tends the fire like one of the kids from Lord of the Flies. Haha. She has her times to be very girly but luckily she loves camping with dad. I will check out Inks Lake State Park. Planning to go the 11-14th of October. She has decided she wants to eat some "bag meals" (Mountain house) and try to catch dad some dinner via fishing.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thinking back, Inks has some great rock cliffs in a cove for diving but she may be too young, certainly for the highest of them. I was too girl crazy at the time to think of fishing. ;)

Austin State Park(?) is on one of the highland lakes off of FM 2222. In my mid twenties then, many sites were water front so fishing was easy but I remember many other twenty somethings too so it was pretty raucous at night.

If you've got a long weekend try Martin Dies, Jr. SP near the S.E. corner of the state. Plan to take or rent a canoe or similar. AWESOME place for gator watching, chasing, hunting.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    A bit more than 1.5 hours, but Port Aransas on the beach is a great experience.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Way more than a 90 minute drive but well worth it. Caprock Canyon SP in the panhandle is an amazing place. You'll think you're in Sedona. Last time I went I broke up the drive by spending a night at Lake Brownwood SP. Caprock has fishing. You'll see bison, eagles, prairie dogs and the coyotes howling at dusk & dawn are very cool. I've been four or five times and you rarely see another human...........

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Yeah we got rained out. People bitch that it doesn't rain here, but sure as shit seems like in the 4 months I have lived her 8/10 times I want to do something significant on the weekends, it rains. LOL

Top Bottom