• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't want something that is Navy SEAL approved for hand to hand slaughterfiesta or is the latest and greatest internet mall ninja "tacticool" blade that can cut through UN buildings.

I'm looking for something with a very good serrated edge, polymer frame, with about a 3.5" blade or so on it. Something you could cut through a seat belt, cut a rope, etc. with. One of those handy tools to have around kinda knifes.

Any suggestions?

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    I've got a Benchmade Switchback that I think would work real well for what you're wanting. It was named Knife of the Year a while back in American Handgunner magazine.

Besides the main blade, there's a small blade on the back that I use for general pupose (cutting open boxes, etc.) so I don't dull my "social" blade.

Here it is, at Impact Guns' website.

BT1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    USA
    My daily carry is the CRKT M16-13. It's light, cheap, and holds a great edge. I'm not a big fan of serrated knives but this one is offered in both plain and serrated. Some bash them because they're from Taiwan but they are as good or better than a lot of domestics for the price. I picked up mine for around 25 bucks.

http://www.crkt.com/m16alumn.html

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My daily carry is the CRKT M16-13. It's light, cheap, and holds a great edge. I'm not a big fan of serrated knives but this one is offered in both plain and serrated. Some bash them because they're from Taiwan but they are as good or better than a lot of domestics for the price. I picked up mine for around 25 bucks.

http://www.crkt.com/m16alumn.html

I like that one. They have a full hilted version that I found on EBay for about $45.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    There are LOTS of mentions of Benchmade in here. I've casually looked at them but what makes them worth the money?

I don't mind forking over good money for quality... I just don't know much about them. Input is appreciated.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    I have several knives from AG Russell and carry one every day. Have been well satisfied with their knives and service. The knife I carry is surprisingly not shown on current web site. It is similar in shape to a William Henry Lancet but much less expensive. The AGR Lockback knives are also nice but slightly larger than I want to carry in my pocket.

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    There are LOTS of mentions of Benchmade in here. I've casually looked at them but what makes them worth the money?

I don't mind forking over good money for quality... I just don't know much about them. Input is appreciated.

There are two types of Benchmades, the blue box and the red box ones. The red box is the lower priced ones the blade steel in these is 440 stainless, the blue box one have blades made from CM154 and some with ATS 34. The blue box knives are a harder and tougher blade steel, I have one that is a mini griptillian with the cm154 blade steel and it serves me well. I bought it on line for around $62 delivered. You will not got wrong getting one of these knives!
    DRJ

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    iagree.gif
    But Benchmade offers four different classes of knives.

GOLD CLASS - Erasing the lines between custom and manufactured, it is a matter of satisfying the ultimate desire. Whether it is embellishing existing designs to loftier heights, creating entirely new ones, or even crafting a one of a kind experience from a collector’s wish list, the Gold class clearly sets the new standard of knife manufacturing.
    BLUE CLASS - Staying true to blue, the Blue Class represents the heart of everything that is Benchmade. For years it’s been where people have come to expect greatness. Whether it’s folders or fixed blades, the Blue Class knife is designed and built for the individual who appreciates the difference a high-quality cutting tool can make.
    BLACK CLASS - It represents the most commonly used knives by professionals where life and death situations are often all in a day’s work, so the tools they use must be up to the challenge as well. From Law Enforcement and Public Safety to elite Military troops, our obligation is still the same, the best tools for the job. Imagine what they can do in your world.
    RED CLASS - Edged tools with the same Benchmade signature innovation and performance driven mindset, geared for the casual knife buyer. It’s a commitment to be the “best in class” value, and initiate an entirely new group of knife users to the Benchmade performance difference. (Some product offerings in the Red Class are produced in our off-shores facility and our Oregon City facilty)
    Home | Benchmade

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    iagree.gif
    But Benchmade offers four different classes of knives.

GOLD CLASS - Erasing the lines between custom and manufactured, it is a matter of satisfying the ultimate desire. Whether it is embellishing existing designs to loftier heights, creating entirely new ones, or even crafting a one of a kind experience from a collector’s wish list, the Gold class clearly sets the new standard of knife manufacturing.
    BLUE CLASS - Staying true to blue, the Blue Class represents the heart of everything that is Benchmade. For years it’s been where people have come to expect greatness. Whether it’s folders or fixed blades, the Blue Class knife is designed and built for the individual who appreciates the difference a high-quality cutting tool can make.
    BLACK CLASS - It represents the most commonly used knives by professionals where life and death situations are often all in a day’s work, so the tools they use must be up to the challenge as well. From Law Enforcement and Public Safety to elite Military troops, our obligation is still the same, the best tools for the job. Imagine what they can do in your world.
    RED CLASS - Edged tools with the same Benchmade signature innovation and performance driven mindset, geared for the casual knife buyer. It’s a commitment to be the “best in class” value, and initiate an entirely new group of knife users to the Benchmade performance difference. (Some product offerings in the Red Class are produced in our off-shores facility and our Oregon City facilty)
    Home | Benchmade

Thanks for the update I was unaware that they made four classes of blades. I have owned Benchmades for over 14 years and have never been let down with there performance. I have over 12 in my collection and have only broke one of them and BM repaired it with no questions ask!
    Thanks!
    DRJ

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    Welcome drj3828 I own 2 of the blue box blades best knives ever I really like
    the Axis locks I feel they're much stronger than the liner locks just my
    2c.jpg

Top Bottom