• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Some people are just too paranoid. If I reach in my pocket to pull out my wallet, sure the officer may see me "squirreling around" and become suspicion, but his suspicions will be erased when he walks up and sees my hands on the wheel and wallet in my lap. :rolleyes:

We hope anyway.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Some people are just too paranoid. If I reach in my pocket to pull out my wallet, sure the officer may see me "squirreling around" and become suspicion, but his suspicions will be erased when he walks up and sees my hands on the wheel and wallet in my lap. :rolleyes:

Or he'll wonder what you stuffed behind you in the seat.

Stay still.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    I had a rather bad stop involving a local sheriff's deputy that ended up with I and the occupants of my vehicle standing on the side of the road for several hours at about 2-3am. I had several rifles in the car, as we had been driving back from shooting at a friend's house in a neighboring county (which we calmly told him), and the deputy didn't know a lot about firearms and sort of freaked out, so called for State Trooper backup after a nice 45-minute long divide-and-question routine. At first, the Trooper was sort of an A-hole (understandable though, he only heard the confused story of the deputy and was trying to get to the bottom of the situation), but after a further instance of the not-so-fun game of divide-and-question, the Trooper quickly determined that we had done nothing wrong, apologized for the confusion and we had a nice conversation about different rifles and stuff. Ended up being a pretty cool guy.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    The "squirrelling around" thing is some times overblown. Often times you know you are about to be stopped. Pass an officer, check your speedo and "OOPS" I was going a bit fast. THAT is the time to get your wallet out and put it on the dash. Hands on the wheel when the approaches. When asked for your license, tell him it is in your wallet on the dash and you have a CHL. 99.9% will then ask if you are armed. Reply accordingly. DO NOT say "I have a gun"! Let him lead the conversation.

If the officer is already in behind you when you first notice him, sitting still is probably the best advise.

On a side note, many vehicles in Texas have tinted windows. Most vehicles these days have power windows. PUT THEM ALL DOWN! Walking past a dark tinted rear window can make some officers a bit nervous. Shows additional "cooperation" and concern for the officer's well being. Unless, of course, there is something you do not want him to see ;)

I do not recall EVER writing a "Keeper" to a CHL holder. When the CHLs first started, some folks acted a bit strange. They wanted to show me their guns. "No sir, I like it just where it is. NOT in your hand." It took about a year for the "newness" to wear off.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I do not recall EVER writing a "Keeper" to a CHL holder. When the CHLs first started, some folks acted a bit strange. They wanted to show me their guns. "No sir, I like it just where it is. NOT in your hand." It took about a year for the "newness" to wear off.

Outside of mandatories, I don't think I ever wrote a CHL'er, either. The only mandatory we had was no insurance - but if you could bring the card in the court would dismiss it. I'd also explain that it was mandatory, so they knew I was otherwise cutting them a break. Things are probably different now, though... they didn't have the insurance information in the computer when I was on the streets.

Don't take mandatory as quota. I was never, ever given a quota, and never chided over warnings vs. citations. Other departments had mandatory TOWING for no insurance. I thought that was rather extreme.

CHL'ers were my friends. They were already vetted and, if worse came to worse, more likely to help me if things went way sideways somewhere and I needed any help I could get.

PettyOfficerUSN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    Houston, TX
    i like troopers. they are the standard of professionalism. i was pulled over for smoked tail lights. before i applied for a chl i told him i had a handgun in the car, he was courteous, asked me to step out slowly. patted me down, ran the serial, chatted for a bit about my lights, the navy, the weather. once the all clear was given, he opened the driver door and put the pistol between the driver door and driver seat. told me that i can put it back where i had it once he left. i asked him where can i have it at because harris county sheriffs told me the law says it has to be in the trunk with the mag in the glove compartment. he said no where i had it is perfect. said good bye and he was on his way.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom