• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grakk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Cedar Park
    Hey guys,

I have a bit of a unique situation - I'm looking for a decent to good gun safe that will hold 1 or 2 long guns - I have no real interest in buying any more long guns. I have a Mossberg 590A1 and I could possibly see myself getting another shotgun for bird hunting in the future.

I live with just me and my fiancee - so the safe would really only be locked when we are away or visitors are in the house.

I want this safe to store a few handguns, and some important documents - this will be on the second floor and the main purpose would be fire protection and to keep friendly (ie non burgulars) people out.

As an alternative do you think it makes sense to buy a high quality smaller safe, and just leave the ammo and handguns locked in it and the shotgun outside?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    If the intent is to preclude unauthorized access/use by guests, then yes - the long guns COULD be outside the safe with simple trigger locks while company is present.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I saw a StackOn gun "cabinet" at Academy for about $80 if you don't need the fire protection.

Its good for basically locking out kids / non-burglars. It holds maybe 3 rifles and comes with a small shelf. I use one for ammo, knives and other stuff I want to keep the kids out of. I built some cheap little wood shelves and threw 'em in mine.

Good, inexpensive fix for your shotguns if you get a safe for your docs and handguns.

grakk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Cedar Park
    Actually I feel kind of dumb about not saying this - I am in a house (that I own) so I can go busting holes all I want - probably should have mentioned that huh?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, DUH!!! In THAT case, go with a larger, fire-rated safe. Jewelry, tax records, etc. can be stored there - not just guns. As time goes by, your collection is likely to grow - better to have the room than having to buy another <cough> safe.

Don't ask.....

grakk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Cedar Park
    Part of the issue is it will be in an upstairs closet in our master bath (close enough to get to when unlocked if needed for HD) and the fiancee doesn't really want a huge heavy safe taking up room - which is why I like the idea of a smaller safe.

The closet is on exterior walls on 2 sides, and the 3rd side is the master bedroom. So just looking for smaller options.

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    Well, DUH!!! In THAT case, go with a larger, fire-rated safe. Jewelry, tax records, etc. can be stored there - not just guns. As time goes by, your collection is likely to grow - better to have the room than having to buy another <cough> safe.

Don't ask.....

TR is right if yer gonna go , go big .You may have 1 or 2 guns now but down the line there will be more if yer addicted to them as much as the rest of us.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Acesn8's has a pretty good idea there (in post #4), you could easily put a full length mirror over it and keep it close, and out of sight.

Using an outside wall might not be a good idea, because you will have to remove the insulation inside the cavity and increase the possibility of moisture inside the cabinet due to condensation from temp changes. However an inside wall would be ideal.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom