• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    REMINGTON 770™ COMBO

Saw this at Academy, wasn't sure if this is a good starter rifle or not...

I'm looking at some opportunities to go this season, Southwest Texas and Madisonville area. Want a decent rifle, but not wanting to break the bank either.

Also, .270 vs .30-06? Any suggestions on this?
    Guns International

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Never messed much with a 270, but it is hard to go wrong with a 30-06 (best all around caliber followed close by 7mm IMHO). I might look around for a used rifle as more than likley you are going to want something better in the future anyway and kind find some VERY nice used rifles for around that price anyway.... Just my 2 cents

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Never messed much with a 270, but it is hard to go wrong with a 30-06 (best all around caliber followed close by 7mm IMHO). I might look around for a used rifle as more than likley you are going to want something better in the future anyway and kind find some VERY nice used rifles for around that price anyway.... Just my 2 cents

I had the same thought of finding a used one, just trying to find one that someone took care of is my worry...
    From what I've read, 7mm and the .30-06 seems to be the ones that most go with.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    In this case, I would say you might or might not get a rifle that will shoot. For $350 you know they have to be cutting a few corners...I dont know how much you are wanting to spend but I would say, spend as much as you can afford. I would definately look around for a used 700 in either caliber. You can find them pretty easily.And the same thing with the glass, spend as much as you can afford. You definately get what you pay for in optics.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I can't find the review of that XL7. But there was a review of it in long range rifles I think either that or field and stream and the article said it could hang with the TC Icon at half the price and that it is a very good rifle and it is only like $3-400. I'm still trying to find a review tho.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I used a Remington (Sportsman 78) 270 for more than 20 years. Never had any problems. I finally sold this rifle to a young family member that is just getting into hunting. Plus I upgraded to a Remington 700BDL (.270). I owned a Remington in 30-06, but sold it since I wasn’t into hunting way back then. I think you can’t go wrong with a 270 or 30-06. My backup rifle is a Winchester 94AE lever action 30-30. Which is another good caliber start out with. If you can, go shoot your friends rifles in as many different calibers that you can, just to see which one you will like the best. Just my $02.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I can't find the review of that XL7. But there was a review of it in long range rifles I think either that or field and stream and the article said it could hang with the TC Icon at half the price and that it is a very good rifle and it is only like $3-400. I'm still trying to find a review tho.

Just doing more research, I found this ad at Carter's Country
    Welcome to Carter's Country

Scroll all the down and you'll see the Marlin XL7 / Scope Combo for $400.00

Might go check it out this weekend...

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Can't say its a good rifle or not but at the rate its been saling if it was really bad probally would have heard about it by now.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have two AR-15's and a AK-74. Looking at something more traditional. I did go to Academy and looked at the Rem. 770 combo... Felt pretty good. But, you can tell it was kinda on the cheap side...

Another thing if the gun is on the light side could have a pretty good bite.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    In this case, I would say you might or might not get a rifle that will shoot. For $350 you know they have to be cutting a few corners...I dont know how much you are wanting to spend but I would say, spend as much as you can afford. I would definately look around for a used 700 in either caliber. You can find them pretty easily.And the same thing with the glass, spend as much as you can afford. You definately get what you pay for in optics.

The 770 is basically an economy 700... in other words, it's pretty much a 710. Numerous corners cut.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Just doing more research, I found this ad at Carter's Country
    Welcome to Carter's Country

Scroll all the down and you'll see the Marlin XL7 / Scope Combo for $400.00

Might go check it out this weekend...
    Hey man if that is what your after go for it. I found that article at home and David E. Petzal of field and stream wrote something along the lines of " this is a sub moa rifle for way under $400" That is all I'll quote but it out shot some at least on big name rifle. If a more classic look is what your going for I'd suggest the TC icon one more time I have never shot one but a guy I know has three in three different calibers. They're all he hunts deer-elk with now. But the action's are full aluminum bedded and they have great barrels. The S&W i-bolt's have TC barrels in them.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The 770 line of rifles are good, but they are very basic. It would be a good hunting rifle for sure but there are other offerings from Marlin and others that are price competitive and availible many places like Academy. If you are looking into a .270/.30-06 I would look at the Mossberg 100ATR. I did a lot of reasearch when a family memeber was looking for an entry level bolt-action, they seemed to be very accurate and very inexpensive.

Top Bottom