Good Starter???

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by ConnRadd, Aug 10, 2009.

1. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

REMINGTON 770™ COMBO

Saw this at Academy, wasn't sure if this is a good starter rifle or not...

I'm looking at some opportunities to go this season, Southwest Texas and Madisonville area. Want a decent rifle, but not wanting to break the bank either.

Also, .270 vs .30-06? Any suggestions on this?

2. MuddyWaterMan

MuddyWaterMan Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Never messed much with a 270, but it is hard to go wrong with a 30-06 (best all around caliber followed close by 7mm IMHO). I might look around for a used rifle as more than likley you are going to want something better in the future anyway and kind find some VERY nice used rifles for around that price anyway.... Just my 2 cents

3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
  4. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

I had the same thought of finding a used one, just trying to find one that someone took care of is my worry...
    From what I've read, 7mm and the .30-06 seems to be the ones that most go with.

5. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
  6. MuddyWaterMan

MuddyWaterMan Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Is weatherby still offering a 400 dollar rifle?

7. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Not unless they plan on doing it again. The $399 Weatherby promotion ended in Dec. '08. I have heard nothing about another run on them at that price. The current pricing on a Vanguard (read $399 Weatherby) is $499 through gungenie.

8. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    In this case, I would say you might or might not get a rifle that will shoot. For $350 you know they have to be cutting a few corners...I dont know how much you are wanting to spend but I would say, spend as much as you can afford. I would definately look around for a used 700 in either caliber. You can find them pretty easily.And the same thing with the glass, spend as much as you can afford. You definately get what you pay for in optics.

9. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I can't find the review of that XL7. But there was a review of it in long range rifles I think either that or field and stream and the article said it could hang with the TC Icon at half the price and that it is a very good rifle and it is only like $3-400. I'm still trying to find a review tho.

10. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX