• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm looking for a probe that you leave in while smoking. Preferably with at least two proves. What are your good or bad experiences?

Thanks
    Chris
    ARJ Defense ad

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Was given a "ThermoPro TP08" last year as a gift, so far so good.
    Two probes, and a remote unit that works with me sitting in the den about 50' away.
    Have no idea of the price, but I'd buy another one if this one goes South.
    YMMV ...

Wombat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Lubbock
    Maverick has several models, including a longer-distance two-probe wireless thermometer.

Like the ET-733

I have a single-probe that does okay, though the range is a little shorter than I'd like.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    The Maverick line is fantastic, I have a ET-732 and will be upgrading to the 733 soon since it's newer and has more information. It's nice to have the wireless feature, I can sit down at my computer and glance at it as I need too as well as set thresholds for warnings.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Been using the maverick 733 for a couple years now and love it. Sure is nice to start the pit, get it at the right temp and go to bed. When it beeps, i go throw another log on the fire and go back to sleep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    For the Cadillac of smoker probes..., consider the DigiQ. It's great for long smokes like brisket. Just set the temperature and walk away. Makes smoking on Egg or other similar type smoker so easy. For smoking on my Big Green Egg, I both the Maverick and the DigiQ. I smoked a large shoulder over the weekend. It took 11 1/2 hours. I'm not sure I could've done it without the DigiQ. Pricey but worth every penny.

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometers/bbq-guru-digiq

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Was watching a cooking show the other night when I couldn't get to sleep, effing back pain, and realized it was that "test kitchen" thing on PBS. Ya' might try taking a look on their website and see what they recommend. I did that years ago, for somethin' or another, and the recommendation/review was dead on. - I'm thinkin' it was for the large skillet I have now. The one I bought about 15 or so years ago, and still looks almost brand new even after very hard use.

Whiskey Tango

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Go with the ThermaQ. It's an amazing tool. You will have the grate temp and the meat temp. I have the older version and it's amazing. I want the new one but have no need for two. They sell replacement probes too. the grate probe lasted about 3 years and I smoke a lot on my egg. The meat probe is still going strong.

http://thermoworks.com/products/handheld/therma_q.html

I second this. I've been very happy with everything I've bought from Thermoworks.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I have a wireless one I just use to monitor the pit temperature. Being wireless, I don't feel like I have to sit around the pit watching the thermometer all day. I can mow the yard, make worthless posts on TGT from inside my house etc. I've gotten to a point where I just watch the temps on the wireless monitor and as soon as the temp starts dropping, add some more wood. It probably wouldn't be as important if you had a really good pit.

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    For the Cadillac of smoker probes..., consider the DigiQ. It's great for long smokes like brisket. Just set the temperature and walk away. Makes smoking on Egg or other similar type smoker so easy. For smoking on my Big Green Egg, I both the Maverick and the DigiQ. I smoked a large shoulder over the weekend. It took 11 1/2 hours. I'm not sure I could've done it without the DigiQ. Pricey but worth every penny.

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometers/bbq-guru-digiq

You can also buy adapters for other grills/smokers that are direct replacements as well as a universal kit if you need to cut your own hole.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Ordered a new wireless thermometer to replace my Maverick. Thermoworks has new one out call Smoke. Wireless, better probes and easier to setup compared to the Maverick. It will also have a app that will work on your phone but hasn't been released at this point.

http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom