Gun Zone Deals

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Let's go down that list...

"Cashiers" - replaced by "self checkout", a decision universally despised by the customers but loved by the beancounters.

"Secretaries and Administrative Assistants" - duties that are now being foisted on office managers, sales reps and others in addition to the duties they already had.

"Office clerks" - see above.

"Customer Service Represenatives" - outsourced to some Indian guy who claims his name is "Bob" and has a Mumbai accent so thick you can't understand a damn thing he says. Outsourcing also conveniently removes the "let me talk to your superior" method of getting results. A decision universally despised by the customers but loved by the beancounters.

"Executive Secretaries and administrative assistants" - Is there an echo? See third item above.

"Miscellaneous assemblers and fabricators" - no done by slave labor in China. "Most Favored Nation" status for our most dangerous adversary while they rip off our intellectual property and flood our market with unreliable crap. A decision universally despised by the customers but loved by the beancounters.

"First Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers" - well, it's hard to supervise people who've been replaced by self checkouts.

"Bookkeeping, accounting and auditing clerks" - "Hello, I am Bob, a perfectly normal American with a thick accent who has no idea how figures of speech or common phrasings work. How can I help you?"

"Fast Food Cooks" - I guess they're not counting workers without green cards for this chart.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    A few weeks ago I went into the store for a few things, both real check out lane had full carts. The store manager was talking to the new self check person. I mentioned that I'm old enough that self check pisses me off & had hime self check my stuff.

I partly think stores put in shelf check in so they can report higher loses. The last Randall's I worked was in Sugarland, Texas and the thieves there just loaded up baskets & walked out.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Yep. I'll add:

Cashiers - a job that nobody wants to do, hard to find workers that will show up for their shift, and will ultimately not be great in the position because they're often too good for the job.

Secretaries, assistants - "How dare you expect me to do your bidding, I'm a strong independent woman." High risk even trying to fill these roles, so workers do their own. IT has made it a lot more sensible to do the work yourself anyway.

Clerks, CSR - see cashiers

Assembly/fabrication - In America? The work that's "coming back" is going to Mexico.

First Line Supervisors - largely replaced by IT

Bookkeeping and accounting - No longer full-time work, thus replaced by software and outside help for all but the largest firms

Cooks - Undocumented workers, and "robotic automation" which is probably an undocumented worker.

The world is changing, we have to adapt or be left behind. Like the changes, don't like the changes, whatever. It's still going to change.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    With companies pulling back production from communist China, hopefully the fabricator and assembly job outlook will improve. Some of that is returning to the US rather than Mexico, et al.

On the flip side, someone has to develop the software, service the IT and build the robots. Sometimes job shift rather than being eliminated entirely.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Yes, this is gloomy news, but what's it's source?

Oh right, the feds.

Who must, absolutely must deliberately BS us citizens or if not that, are hopelessly incompetent...

Recall all the various numbers (from the feds) regarding anything 'covid'?

They make up numbers to suit their agenda regarding anything.

So, look upon these numbers and shake your head 'NO'.

Nothing these bunglers have to say can be relied upon as the truth or accurate.

Take anything and everything emanating from the feds with a very jaundiced eye...

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    We completely did away with our local offices, no secretaries needed, just dial the automated line for the required department. HQ is the only staffed building besides the distribution centers. Most of us work from home so no need for office space which saves money. A large part of our accounting department is farmed out to India. Basic PC support is fully farmed out to India, they fixed my VPN issue in under five minutes just yesterday. Dozens of employees from our distribution centers were replaced by an automated assembly line along with faster servers eliminating the onsite IT staff each distribution center once had. I have no doubt that the programming department and infrastructure IT (me) are being sized up for replacement. Progress I guess.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    A few weeks ago I went into the store for a few things, both real check out lane had full carts. The store manager was talking to the new self check person. I mentioned that I'm old enough that self check pisses me off & had hime self check my stuff.

I partly think stores put in shelf check in so they can report higher loses. The last Randall's I worked was in Sugarland, Texas and the thieves there just loaded up baskets & walked out.

They now have self checkout at the auto parts store I go to. Seems weird but I always know what I need and it gets me out the door quicker.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    If they made a chart for the fastest growing job market they would need to make it about 6 ft. long to show the bar for federal employees. DHS has about 220,000 employees not counting 45,000 more service staff (mostly Coast Guard).

Think of it; a quarter million people most of whom are busy shuffling illegals across the country.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    They now have self checkout at the auto parts store I go to. Seems weird but I always know what I need and it gets me out the door quicker.
    At my age I'm no longer in any hurry to to anything. Besides I like chatting up the checkers. It's nice when someone recognizes you & automatically knows paper not plastic, or leave the small chocolate milk out for the drive home.

A personal touch beats place in the bagging area.

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    Let's go down that list...

"Cashiers" - replaced by "self checkout", a decision universally despised by the customers but loved by the beancounters.

"Secretaries and Administrative Assistants" - duties that are now being foisted on office managers, sales reps and others in addition to the duties they already had.

"Office clerks" - see above.

"Customer Service Represenatives" - outsourced to some Indian guy who claims his name is "Bob" and has a Mumbai accent so thick you can't understand a damn thing he says. Outsourcing also conveniently removes the "let me talk to your superior" method of getting results. A decision universally despised by the customers but loved by the beancounters.

"Executive Secretaries and administrative assistants" - Is there an echo? See third item above.

"Miscellaneous assemblers and fabricators" - no done by slave labor in China. "Most Favored Nation" status for our most dangerous adversary while they rip off our intellectual property and flood our market with unreliable crap. A decision universally despised by the customers but loved by the beancounters.

"First Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers" - well, it's hard to supervise people who've been replaced by self checkouts.

"Bookkeeping, accounting and auditing clerks" - "Hello, I am Bob, a perfectly normal American with a thick accent who has no idea how figures of speech or common phrasings work. How can I help you?"

"Fast Food Cooks" - I guess they're not counting workers without green cards for this chart.
    Well said sir, absolutely I find no fault at all with your statement or logic.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield
    Most of the younger folks don't know the difference between a Ford and a Chevy. A few years ago, I had a 1970 Ranchero with a 351C-4bbl. Try explaining the difference between that engine and the 2bbl version or the 351W. One time I got a very funny look when I asked for a set of points. I was trying to keep it original which is why I didn't go for the pointless swap.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Most of the younger folks don't know the difference between a Ford and a Chevy. A few years ago, I had a 1970 Ranchero with a 351C-4bbl. Try explaining the difference between that engine and the 2bbl version or the 351W. One time I got a very funny look when I asked for a set of points. I was trying to keep it original which is why I didn't go for the pointless swap.

They sure don't. I about had a cardiac trying to get a piece of 3/8 fuel line. If it doesn't have a part number they don't know what to do. I had to explain to them to go back behind the counter and cut it to length from the box that I could clearly see myself. This was at AutoZone.

Haven't messed with points in eons, what was the gap on a 69 Chevy 350? Had to go and look it up, I remembered it being .020 it shows it as .019 so I wasn't far off. ;) You could set the gap on a set of points with a matchbook in an emergency. My first truck was a 69 Chevy C-10 step side that I bought for $500.00 with no engine around 1990. It had a Saginaw three speed column shift that I converted into a floor shift using a Hurst shifter. Threw a rebuilt 350 from Sun Engines in it along with a set of Black Jack headers. Drove it with open headers down to Ken's mufflers where he installed dual exhaust with Thrush turbo mufflers, man I wish I still had that truck. No power steering, no power brakes, no AC. I had huge arms from running that rig, those were the days!

Top Bottom