• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Electric grinders are more likely to eat knives and destroy the temper in the blade. I seen that first hand at work. The knife company let the store use the sharpener for free. They made it up in knife sales.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    No, no, no! Look at the speed - 7200 fps! I have a Grizzly G1015, which is very popular with beginning knife makers, and it runs way too fast at 3600 fps. Beaumont KMG knife grinders (expensive, but this is what pros use) will run as low as 900 fps.

That Kalamazoo will eat up knife blades, destroy the temper, and will go through belts like nobody's business.

Just say no. Seriously.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    No, no, no! Look at the speed - 7200 fps! I have a Grizzly G1015, which is very popular with beginning knife makers, and it runs way too fast at 3600 fps. Beaumont KMG knife grinders (expensive, but this is what pros use) will run as low as 900 fps.

That Kalamazoo will eat up knife blades, destroy the temper, and will go through belts like nobody's business.

Just say no. Seriously.
    I posted pics of the wrong model
    This is the one made for knife grinding and sharpening
    Screenshot_20220127-160054_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220127-160100_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220127-160108_Chrome.jpg

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Electric grinders are more likely to eat knives and destroy the temper in the blade. I seen that first hand at work. The knife company let the store use the sharpener for free. They made it up in knife sales.
    For some dumb sonofabitch, yes
    Not me.
    I've been using a smaller version to do this for years

This is how knife makers shape and sharpen blades

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My Grandfater was a butcher in a small custom meat market. Those knife grinders would make quick work of sharpening a knife, but were hell on blades. The belt grinder was used on cheap throw way boning knives but a tri hone with stones was used on the more expensive knives.

Fullretard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    DFW
    How would a person grind a knife on that?
    I know you can raise an edge

But how would you do any blade grinding like the machine I posted would do?

Or

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I've only used my ken onion work sharp sharpener, and it was easy to figure out and use but put some cosmetic scratches on the side of the blade. No big deal but wish it didn't. Made my inexpensive opinel steak knives feel like new again.

I do have some older shun knives with an 11 degree mirror grind that has chips out of the edge, not sure I want to tackle those yet.

A lot of people did say electric grinders will ruin blades and destroy tips. I think that's true even for whet stones if you don't know what you're doing.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I've only used my ken onion work sharp sharpener, and it was easy to figure out and use but put some cosmetic scratches on the side of the blade. No big deal but wish it didn't. Made my inexpensive opinel steak knives feel like new again.

I do have some older shun knives with an 11 degree mirror grind that has chips out of the edge, not sure I want to tackle those yet.

A lot of people did say electric grinders will ruin blades and destroy tips. I think that's true even for whet stones if you don't know what you're doing.
    The trick to keeping them from ruining the blade is to keep them cool. Reason they make wet operated grinders for sharpening.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Yeah it was my first time using it, I think it was grinding dust on the guides that scratched the side of the blade. But I did touch it often during inspecting. It's quite a simple setup and I should touch up my other pocket knives this afternoon.

Edit: I'll check the box too to see if it's US made when I get back home.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The last time I was at one of the fish markets down around Kemah, the workers were chopping heads off the fish with a large Cleaver and others were filleting or cutting the fish to order. There was one Asian worker behind the counter using a very large honing steel to sharpen multiple knives.

He was fast and pretty good at it. I made the mistake of going on a Saturday, so the line was long. As I waited, several workers took their knives over to where he was sharpening, laid them on the table, and picked up one that he'd already sharpened before returning to work.

Perhaps buying a "steel" and hiring that dude to sharpen knives is cheaper than a knife sharpening machine.

I have an older Chicago Cutlery steel and still prefer to sharpen my knives the old way. I start with a flat stone, and finish with the steel. That's the way my father taught me. Then again, I'm not manufacturing knives. What you need to do that is probably a whole different ball game.

jlevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2022
    I've been making knives as a hobby for maybe 5 years now. I've made over 20 knives, one katana and 2 hand axes, most from CPM-3V steel. Putting the initial edge on a finished knife is a pain and I don't use any power equipment to do it (except the work sharp, but it's not my preferred sharpener). Here are my thoughts on sharpeners:

1. I only use diamond stones. Too much pressure can wear them out fast, but they will cut any steel. This place has some good deals on diamond stones for Apex edge pro systems https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ck140grdiplf.html
    2. Gatco/Lansky system (an angle guide clamps on the back of the blade). Decent sharpener and pretty easy to use. An initial edge on a new knife has taken me 4 hrs before. Re-sharpening a knife at the same angle is pretty quick. Gatco has a much better stone/rod system than Lansky. I believe Lansky is made in the US, not sure about Gatco.
    3. Apex Edge Pro was mentioned above and works very well. I got a knock-off version for Christmas several years ago and still use it. I think it's better and faster than the Gatco/Lansky system.
    4. I have a ken onion work sharp and I am not impressed. I don't like the slack-belt sharpening it does, although for those who want to maintain a convex edge, it may be good. I will probably get rid of it.

-my 0.02

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    UPDATE
    I've had my Kalamazoo 1SM for over a month and I love it.
    Every knife, ulu, cleaver and machete I have is sharp...

I'll sill use my others occasionally..maybe..lol

You do have to practice first with an old knife..or you should..but its easy to pick up the skill set with some patience

Last edited:
    Top Bottom