• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Not too long ago, I picked up a Beretta 84B in 380. I took it to the range, in almost record time for me (I am THE Great Procrastinator), test fired it and no sooner was i doing that than the medallions on each grip fell off. Luckily I saw one either in the act of falling or after it hit the ground then saw the other had come off too and was able to find it also. I decided to use Gorilla Glue to put them back on, figuring that would hold them well. As they used to say in the Brylcreem commercials "A little dab'll do ya" and I do mean a little when it comes to Gorilla Glue holding those medallions in place.

Of course, I used a bit too much and it came out the sides onto the outside of the grips. Tried to get it right off but man that stuff dries quickly. It looked pretty lousy and I was at a loss how to get it off without ruining the finish of the grips. Then I remembered having used Goof Off cleaner on grips before. I headed to Homer's Dee-spot and was about to buy regular Goof Off when I saw Goof Off Pro Strength Super Glue Remover. I bought it. Must have been sitting in my apartment for a month or more now without me trying it (did I mention I am THE Great Procrastinator).

goof-off-paint-strippers-removers-fg678-64_1000.jpg

Well, today, I tried it. It worked like a charm a magic lucky charm and the Gorilla Glue came off after two or three applications with a cotton swab and a bit of rubbing. The finish on the grips looks like new - no ill effects there. I cannot say how it might work on other grips but it was okay for use on these and as I have said, I've used regular Goof Off before to try to clean other wood grips and wood stocks with no finish damage from the Goof Off. I do not know about synthetic stocks, this stuff warns on the label it "...damages many plastics...". Anyway, good stuff for my application and it got the job done nicely.

If you use it, follow the directions and precautions on the can, this stuff is extremely flammable.
    Guns International

Attachments

• goof-off-paint-strippers-removers-fg678-64_1000.jpg
      goof-off-paint-strippers-removers-fg678-64_1000.jpg
      92.6 KB · Views: 1,145

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Gorilla glue is made to expand, so it's a poor choice for the medallions. They do have a clear glue that doesn't expand, so maybe try that next time?

Goof off has some great stuff. I'm curious to hear if it weakened the glue any and the medallions need to be re-glued soon.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Gorilla glue is made to expand, so it's a poor choice for the medallions. They do have a clear glue that doesn't expand, so maybe try that next time?

Goof off has some great stuff. I'm curious to hear if it weakened the glue any and the medallions need to be re-glued soon.
    It's holding the medallions okay, just that I used too much of it I guess because like you said it expands.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Found another use for Goof Today and don't know why I had not thought of it before (or why I forgot thinking of it before)! Today, I used regular strength Goof Off to remove dried permanent magic marker ink from some ammo boxes. I usually depended on 91% sterilizing alcohol in the past and tried it today. Now as back then, not all of the dried ink came off. Then I thought of Goof Off. I put a little on a paper towel, rubbed it onto the ink and after a few to several swipes all of the ink came off easily and seemingly the Goof Off did not remove any of the paint from the ammo cans.

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019

They have not come off yet and seem glued tight. I just shot it recently too. I used very little Goof Off to get the excess glue off of the wood, avoiding the medallion edges as best I could do so.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Glad you revived the thread. I was not aware of the pro strength.

I‘ve had regular goop off for years and am frustrated with how many applications it takes to do the job.

rsrocket1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2020
    DFW
    I've always used Acetone to remove super glue.
    I've also used it successfully to remove super glue residue from the kitchen table and no one ever knew the difference :).

Top Bottom