• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    when you connect your phone to the GoPro wifi does this effect your data usage?

I can't see how it can but I wanted to ask

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Ditto on what matefrio said depending on what you do after connecting your GoPro to your phone. If it's just to view pictures and videos then no data is used from your carrier but if you use your smartphone to upload images or video to say, Youtube then I believe charges will apply. If you download the app RemoteGo to your smartphone to wirelessly control your GoPro data charges will incur also.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Ditto on what matefrio said depending on what you do after connecting your GoPro to your phone. If it's just to view pictures and videos then no data is used from your carrier but if you use your smartphone to upload images or video to say, Youtube then I believe charges will apply. If you download the app RemoteGo to your smartphone to wirelessly control your GoPro data charges will incur also.

ok, what you just said..to me, is not what matefrio said.

what I am talking about is having the GoPro App on my phone , then I connect my phone to the wifi that the camera itself puts out. when this connection is running between the camera and the phone there is data streaming from the camera to the phone.
    my question is.. does that data stream use up the phone data from ATT in some way?

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013

what I am talking about is having the GoPro App on my phone , then I connect my phone to the wifi that the camera itself puts out. when this connection is running between the camera and the phone there is data streaming from the camera to the phone.
    my question is.. does that data stream use up the phone data from ATT in some way?
    I just switched over to ATT from Sprint and the first question I asked the salesman at the ATT store was if the RemoteGo app used up data and his answer was "yes". I haven't actually used the app yet on my new smartphone to confirm but I assume he knew what he was talking about. If you're concerned about data usage you can go into "settings" on your phone and have it alert you when you approach your limit.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I just switched over to ATT from Sprint and the first question I asked the salesman at the ATT store was if the RemoteGo app used up data and his answer was "yes". I haven't actually used the app yet on my new smartphone to confirm but I assume he knew what he was talking about. If you're concerned about data usage you can go into "settings" on your phone and have it alert you when you approach your limit.

maybe its the data your phone sends back to the camera, like comands to turn on or off.

If the answer is, yes, then it's yes. I just figured since the data sent from the camera to the phone does not come through the network, it wouldn't count against you.

if you have your phone linked to your GoPro for a 30 minute video, thats a lot of data coming into your phone that ATT is charging me for.. it doesn't seem right, but if it is, I;ll just ditch the ap rather than go over and get raped by ATT

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Any time you use any wifi you are off the cellular data network.
    Hmmm/ It's possible the salesman didn't want to appear ignorant and simply gave me the safe answer. I'm going to download RemoteGo to my new phone and see for myself.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    To avoid Carrier charges:

Download the 88Mb app connected to a wifi connection
    Upload videos to youtube, facebook etc connected to a wifi connection
    The camera and cellphone or tablet, during normal use, won't use the carrier connection.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas

If it's just sending data back and forth across wifi, then no, it's not tapping into AT&T's cellular data network. And once you're on wifi, you're on wifi only and, as far as I've been able to figure with my iPhone, would have to disconnect from the GoPro to get cellular data access again.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    maybe its the data your phone sends back to the camera, like comands to turn on or off.

If the answer is, yes, then it's yes. I just figured since the data sent from the camera to the phone does not come through the network, it wouldn't count against you.

if you have your phone linked to your GoPro for a 30 minute video, thats a lot of data coming into your phone that ATT is charging me for.. it doesn't seem right, but if it is, I;ll just ditch the ap rather than go over and get raped by ATT

you could always just test it. Download an app that monitors data use....go record a 2 minute video in your backyard, and see what the changes are. Like Sapper, I haven't actually used the program, but I can't see how it would charge your data if the feed is directly from GoPro to Phone over GoPro's individual wifi signal. Perhaps Sapper's ATT salesman was saying that the downloading of the app itself would take up data, or he was referring to the uploading of pics/vids from the app.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here

The definitive answer to this question is NO. I have used many, many GoPros.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    ^^^^ correct

I recorded about 15 minutes today running the camera with my phone on the wifi.

i checked my data throughput and there was no data transfer recorded with the network.

Top Bottom