• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nonattrit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Fort Hood Area
    My dad gave me a Winchester model 94 in .307. before he passed in '08. Really nice rifle and kicks like hell.I'm thinking mag-na-porting for that, but I've got bigger issues. It has some light pitting from being around salt water (Hurricane Ivan). The damage is just enough to piss you off - and is definitely in need of repair. I would like to re-blue the entire weapon.

Is there a standard bluing process or is one better than the other? I live in the Fort Hood area if anyone has suggestions on a local gunsmith.
    DK Firearms

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    The later models (post 1964 IIRC, but my knowledge is poor on that date) of the Model 94 used a plated receiver. It doesn't take blue well at all. Before doing any kind of stripping of the old blue, I'd have someone who knows a bit more than me check the date and give you some more info.

Rottweiler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Hill Country
    If it is chambered in .307 it is definitely a post 64 rifle. Post 84 rifles were made with a sintered metal receiver that was plated and then the plating was blued

Mr X is right about those receivers not bluing well. When the bluing on them fails it looks like the plating just kinda flaked off. It can be reblued but it will never look like it did when it was new without a complete stripping of the underlying plating and then a new plating and re-blue. I don't know of any local smiths who re-plate.

You could put some cold blue on the pitted spots to help it blend in but if you're like me (and many others) you won't be satisfied with the results.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Yes. If the plating is flaking off, it can get REAL expensive to fix. I did manage to get SOME blue to work on my 94. It's not as rich and deep as the barrel, but it has to date kept the plating from rusting or pitting. If the plating is okay, perhaps the best path would be to have it ceracoated.

Guntoter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    BFE S. Texas
    The .307 is a rimmed .308 and was one of several high pressure carts. Winchester came out with to try to boost flagging sales. I think those guns had forged rather than sintered receivers. I know they were beefed up to handle the higher C.U.P. of the .375, .307, .356, line of cartridges. Give Fords Refinishing a call and ask them. If anything can be done, they'll know.
    Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing - Ford's Desert Eagle Sights

Top Bottom