• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • borntexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    Ok gurus I have a friend that had a class c misdemeanour 30yrs or so, will that keep him from getting his CHL? Thanks for any help!
    ARJ Defense ad

jiannichan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Little Elm/Frisco
    More than likely no. But that depends on the charge. If you were charged with some type of family violence, then that will disqualify you. If it got dismissed, then maybe. You would need to submit the paperwork...I'm not a lawyer so I can't really say for sure. That is my understanding of one of the disqualifiers.

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Unless it is for domestic violence which can be under class C misdemeanor and is an automatic disqualifier.

I don't see a Class C Assault offense in the Texas Penal Code that accepts a Domestic Violence enhancement. Which Class C offense does?

It doesn't matter if the class C was against a domestic partner - it matters if the charge was filed (and convicted) with a DV enhancement/modifier. Most Class C offenses never "report" on a criminal history, anyway, as they're considered "local" charges. YMMV, IANAL.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I don't see a Class C Assault offense in the Texas Penal Code that accepts a Domestic Violence enhancement. Which Class C offense does?

It doesn't matter if the class C was against a domestic partner - it matters if the charge was filed (and convicted) with a DV enhancement/modifier. Most Class C offenses never "report" on a criminal history, anyway, as they're considered "local" charges. YMMV, IANAL.

That is my understanding, as well.

And I'll write it again. Under Texas law, a Class C is not a disqualifier. Texas law says a person is not eligible for a CHL if he is ineligible under federal law to posses a firearm.

Federal law prohibits a person from possessing a firearm who has been convicted of domestic violence.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom