Guns International

Got a new toy, man I feel 10x more 'merican now! ;-)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I just traded my FN FAIL for something I've desired for a very long time, an M1 GARAND!

tn_100_1440.png

tn_100_1433.png

tn_100_1439.png

I must confess, I really don't know a whole lot on the history of Garands as far as production models, manufacturers, and all that stuff goes. What little I do know about this particular rifle is that it was produced by Winchester (not sure when), re-barreled by Springfield in '49, and must have not been shot after that or something because the gun is spotless mechanically as if it was brand new! The stock is in great shape, and overall the gun is almost as new as far as I can tell. Oh, and it has no CMP markings either. Man I love this thing!
    Guns International

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Looks like it's in great shape.

What's wrong with the FAL? It's my favorite battle rifle.

Actually, I love the FAL. Though the one I bought, although it was all Imbel parts, was assembled by CAI, so needless to say it had problems. I returned it back to the store I got it and instead took this excellent Garand. I still want an FAL, though I think I'll have to buy a DSA next time around so I know what I'm getting. One thing I love about the FAL is the easily adjustable gas system and how overall simplistic and robust the design of the gun is.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Congratulations and welcome to the club.

Winchester and International Harvester Garands tend to be the more highly sought-after Garands.

I strongly encourage you to consider participating in a service rifle match with your new rifle. Firing that sucker offhand at 200 yds under time will give you a whole new appreciation for the American military circa WWII.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Congratulations and welcome to the club.

Winchester and International Harvester Garands tend to be the more highly sought-after Garands.

I strongly encourage you to consider participating in a service rifle match with your new rifle. Firing that sucker offhand at 200 yds under time will give you a whole new appreciation for the American military circa WWII.

Oh absolutely sir! Heck, I still have problems at 50yds. I'm completely in awe of what proficient shooters are capable of doing at long range (like 200-600+yds) with 60+ year old rifles and irons. ;) I definitely want to start participating in various types of matches with it. I need to get another stock set, preferably a beat up one or basically something I don't have to worry about so I can store this stock and keep from wearing it out or damaging it. Actually, one thing I really want to do is use it for some multi gun matches, 3 gun matches, etc. I just think it would be such a blast to become proficient enough with the gun so that I could rock and roll with it at a 3 gun match, while everyone else is using AR variants and other more "tacti-cool" stuff. ;) I'm "weird" like that. hehe

Here's a great vid of a guy with a Garand at a multi gun match (the best part is the charge at the end): YouTube - June 08 Pima ACTS

Here's a couple vids I found of a pretty talented guy with a Garand at some IDPA matches: YouTube - IDPA Carbine good with a Garand
    YouTube - IDPA Carbine weak side Garand

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I just got back from the range not too long ago, and shot the gun for the first time. WOW! I shot better than I've ever shot before with a rifle. The first two shots at 25yds were not quite one ragged hole though they were touching and very close together. Unfortunately when bringing the hangar back in it stopped working so I got stuck running the last few clips off at ~10-15yds. ;) The sights still need to be zeroed but, it's not too far off. I would have taken a picture of the target but, I forgot and threw it away. ;) I have to say, I'm impressed. It will probably be awhile before I can actually become proficient enough to really put the gun through it's paces. Man, I am just itching for more!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Oh, yeah. Century... I know someone who built FALs (and AKs, including mine :D) in his garage and turned out much better stuff than CAI.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, I've heard that some of the CAI "assembled" guns, built with Imbel parts have worked okay. Anything actually built by CAI with CAI parts would obviously have problems. Actually, the gun was pretty decent quality, being Imbel parts and all. It functioned just fine. The only real problem was the flash hider was silver soldered on and not even threaded or actually welded. Because of that, what happened is I put several rounds through it and it heated up just enough that I guess the solder weakend, flash hider came loose, and the last round sent the flash hider shooting down range a little over 40 yds! ;) Haha, the first thought that went through my mind when I heard the "clang, clang, clang" of the flash hider hitting the ground was "Hey, who has a Garand out here?" ;) Hehe. The gun functioned fine mechanically otherwise, but that kind of poisoned it for me, plus it was just meant to be for me to get this Garand.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Your M1 looks great. I'd love to find one in that condition for a great price. I've never owned one before and have never fired one, I just for some reason like the look and feel of them.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Actually, I have a question for those of you that are experienced with the M1 Garand. What method for loading the clip into the gun would you all recommend as the safest and quickest way to get the gun back up and running? I've heard so much about Garand thumb, and playing around with the gun (empty of course) and using empty clips, manipulating the bolt and follower, etc etc I can see just how horrible it has to feel to experience Garand thumb. I hope I never have to experience it. ;) Since I'm planning on eventually using the gun in some IDPA/Multi-gun type matches eventually, I'm kind of curious about what loading method is quicker and easier to use while not subjecting myself to the risk of the infamous Garand thumb. Right now, on the square range and loading slowly is no big deal, but I can already see it's going to take a lot of practice and effort to try doing so quickly and on the move without royally punishing my thumb. Maybe I'm overthinking this too much but, I thought I would ask. ;)

Oh I guess I should mention this, since it will change things. I'm left eye dominant and so I shoot rifles left handed. I've tried shooting right handed many times but, it just doesn't feel right to me so I prefer to just stick with shooting left handed. I know that's going to complicate the reload for me. ;)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Just hold the bolt open with your hand, and push the clip down with the thumb.

BTW, it's about time you bought a quality rifle for once. Although your M44 was a nice one.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    As I push the clip in with my thumb, I slide the blade of my hand down the side of the rifle so that it will block the op-rod from moving forward. It usually won't move forward that far, and I have to tap the op rod forward after inserting the clip.

Lay the loaded clip in your hand so that it's flat on the ball of your hand with the bullets pointing toward your thumb. Wrap your thumb over so that it's just barely over the top of the clip. Your fingers go outside and along the right side of the receiver to block the op rod handle, and you just push the clip home with your thumb. You'll probably need to tap the op rod forward before you fire. A little practice, and it becomes second nature to grab a clip, push it in and tap the op rod. IMO, it's a wonderful design, and is nearly as fast to reload as a detachable magazine.

You're at far more risk of Garand thumb while the rifle is empty. They usually won't close all the way on the first round in the clip without some help.

Top Bottom