• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AWO369

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    DFW
    been reading and asking friends about what is the best firearm to shoot nato rounds due to the cheaper price...everyone has an opinion but can't really tell me why....price is important but I want something that will not fall apart and will hit a target at 50yrds more than it misses....thanks to who ever answers
    Capitol Armory ad

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    The first thing you are going to be ask: "What will you be using this for?" Targets, hogs, home defense?

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    I just got a zastava pap ak for $700.it dosent have a chrome line bbl and it may need the singlestack bolt replaced with a doublestack unit but its built like a tank on an rpk reciever.
    cant post pics on this forum with my tablet or I would

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    Nearly any AK is going to be acceptably accurate inside of 50 yds. There are a lot of options.

Personally, one of my AK's would not be the first gun I would reach for in a home defense situation. It would definitely do the job but I have to imagine that firing an AK chambered in 7.62x39 in a small enclosed space would be disorienting. That being said, I have never tried it so I could be wrong.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Nearly any AK is going to be acceptably accurate inside of 50 yds. There are a lot of options.

Personally, one of my AK's would not be the first gun I would reach for in a home defense situation. It would definitely do the job but I have to imagine that firing an AK chambered in 7.62x39 in a small enclosed space would be disorienting. That being said, I have never tried it so I could be wrong.
    not to mention overpenetrate and possibly kill bystandards. if you could be certain of your backstop theres not much more effective

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    12 gage with turkey loads.

I have some Federal Classic magnum copper plated steel bb size pellets 62 per round at 1265 fps.
    If the first 3 rounds wont deter then the rest are 00 buck.

AWO369

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    DFW
    great point about being inside
    we do a lot of camping on our property...really thinking of that more...where i live you have to drive aways
    dogs would let us know...so it would be outside and i want practice with a cheaper round

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I saw a Century WASR at Cabela's last weekend for $450. I have one and it shoots great. No problems at all. It takes the plastic AK mags too.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    AWO369 You do realize that the 7.62mm that the AK shoots is very different from the 7.62mm NATO round, right?

best firearm to shoot nato rounds due to the cheaper price

In you first post you state that you like the cheap NATO rounds then seem to lean toward an AK. While there are AK variants that do shoot the 7.62x51 round, they are hybrids of guns designed to shoot other things, and not as popular, or known to be as reliable as other guns. The Communist Block round that is most commonly associated with AK's is the 7.62x39mm. (Now the Soviets/Russians ditched that round over 35 years ago for one similar to the round we use in the AR-15/M-16)

For a quick reference: These calibers are closely associated with these rifles.
    The numbers listed inside the ( )'s are the close civilian equivalents (those small differences are a whole different, long discussion).

7.62x39 = AK-47

5.56x45 NATO (.223) = AR-15, M-16, M-4, etc.

7.62x51 NATO (.308) = M-14, FN/FAL, M-60, M-240, sniper rifles, etc.

7.62x54R = Mosin-Nagant, Russian Machine Guns, etc.

5.45x39 = Current Russian military assault rifle round adopted in 1974.

Hope this helps.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    triggermike11
    Top Bottom