Military Camp

Got an email from the Ford Ranger forum I frequent...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Even if you don't visit the Ford Ranger forum please help out cause if this works out for Ford then what's next, the National Parks Rangers or the Texas Rangers....who knows?

Dear Member,

I appologize for this email. I don't normally email the members but this is an emergency.

Today, (December 9, 2008) I received a letter from the law offices of Howard, Phillips & Andersen that represent the Ford Motor Company. Ford is forcing us to surrender the name 'therangerstation.com' to them and stop using it. Ford states that using the name 'Ranger' when used in reference to the Ford Ranger is a trademark violation. In addition they are wanting me to pay them $5,000.

As you may know, The Ranger Station has been around for the past 10 years and has been a valuable resource to Ranger enthusiasts.

If Ford does this to us, where will they stop?

I have 10-days to surrender the name and pay them $5,000. I'm asking that you contact Ford online and ask them to reconsider making us change our name and prohibiting us from using the word 'Ranger'.

You can contact them at:

https://secure.ford.com/footer/contact-ford/contact-us-email?contactMainTopic=PublicAffairs

a sample of what one of the members wrote is:

"To whom it may concern:

I am writing concerning your recent legal attacks on various "fan" websites for vehicles such as the Mustang and Ranger. I am insulted by this careless misuse of our legal system and am reconsidering any further vehicle purchases from your company until you cease and desist from any further legal action concerning this subject. I have been a Ford owner for many years and I had hoped to stay that way. These attacks are morally wrong since they are geared towards your customers, and do not instill the least bit of confidence in your brand. For the sake of your business, I ask you to please reconsider immediately.

Thank you."

Thank you for your support and I applogize for this email.

Jim Oaks
    TheRangerStation.com

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    There's nothing like a phone call - or better yet a physical letter sent via the US Postal Service - to get the notice of another entity, be it government or corporate.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    This isn't anything new and the Manufactures have won in most cases.

It's a strong arm from the attorney's to get their attention. He needs to call and talk to them. He may want to ask for time to get a new domain registered and even time to redirect members.

If you use a trade name, expect and be prepared to have to stop, not matter how long it's been. The way he worded it, it makes sense. I can't see how he thinks the Texas Ranger or Park Rangers has anything to do with using the name "Ranger" in relation to a Ford Ranger site. A name Ford owns.

Also, he needs to make sure it's Ford Motor Co. and not the guy that's buying up all the enthusiasts sites using creating wording. I doubt it, but you never know.

If it is FoMoCo, they have a reason to want to stop the name from being used. It's theirs so they have that right.

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    Its the same thing they did to the Black Mustang Club when they tried to sell calendars. But its made it over to corral.net too, so the stang folks are with ya too :)

Bily Lovec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    from elsewhere on the web:

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Apparently some sites were selling counterfeit Ford Products.

A rep of Ford has been responding and has explained in detail. This is from the link provided by DW

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]quote:[/FONT] SAME-DAY UPDATE #2:

Scott has more info on The Ranger Station: They were selling counterfeit merchandise branded as Ford. Pulled from the comments:

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. Without question, Ford enthusiasts are extremely important to us. Their enthusiasm and loyalty are part of our heritage and part of what's going to keep us moving forward.

Recently, there was an item posted stating that Ford was requesting TheRangerStation.com to turn over its URL to Ford and pay $5,000. We'd like the opportunity to share some additional facts that might make a difference in how you think about this situation.

In its communications, TheRangerStation.com stated that Ford was making them change the name of their site and pay $5,000. What was not mentioned was that TheRangerStation.com was selling counterfeit Ford-brand merchandise on the site. As a company, Ford has a responsibility to protect our brand and a responsibility to our licensees. We cannot let something like that pass. (The counterfeit goods have been removed from the website since TheRangerStation.com got the letter from Ford's attorney.)

Please know that Ford takes no joy in pursuing enthusiast sites. Since there are a number of sites out there with Ford vehicles as part of their names or URLs, some people have asked if they should be concerned. Ford has been and continues to be willing to license its trademarks for use by enthusiast groups and enthusiast websites. Requesting a license is done easily by contacting tmgroup@ford.com. To request a license to produce or sell branded merchandise bearing Ford's trademarks, contact branduse@ford.com.

In short, we are not asking for $5,000 and we would like TheRangerStation.com to keep the domain name. We simply encourage TheRangerStation.com to contact Ford to request a license to continue using the domain name.

We hope you will share this information with anyone who is concerned. We deeply appreciate our fans’ dedication and enthusiasm and want to be able to work together with all of our supporters to tell the Ford story.

Scott Monty
    Global Digital Communications
    Ford Motor Company

[/FONT]

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Oh, well, I no longer own Ford vehicles. Used to have a Ford Ranger, the local Ford Garage screwed up the engine rebuild so bad I had to get rid of it. Never ran right since the garage touched it. And they're supposed to be certified Ford Factory Mechanics. BS.

Saxet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Pasadena, TX
    now what?

Even if you don't visit the Ford Ranger forum please help out cause if this works out for Ford then what's next, the National Parks Rangers or the Texas Rangers....who knows?

now that we know they were selling basically STOLEN AKA COUNTERFEIT merchandise it kinda changes your persepctive.

Top Bottom