• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stigo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys I'm new around these forums. I went last week to purchase a handgun. I am taking my CHL class in a couple weeks and I filled all the paper work out and got delayed. I have a couple of questions about the delay. How long does it usually take to hear something back? Is there anyway to speed the process up?
    Gun Zone Deals

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You should receive a response withing 3 business days; Proceed or denied.

If the dealer does not hear back within 3 business days he can transfer the firearm to you on the 4th.

Good luck.

Stigo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    thats what i thought so i called academy back today which would be the 6th day since i tried to purchase and they said they hadnt heard anything they would call me when they heard back from NICS

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    thats what i thought so i called academy back today which would be the 6th day since i tried to purchase and they said they hadnt heard anything they would call me when they heard back from NICS

BUSINESS DAYS, Saturday and Sunday are not counted. It sounds like Friday was your 4th day, so tomorrow I would go pick up my gun. Don't CALL, go.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I can tell you as a matter of policy the FFL I used to work for wouldn't release the gun until getting an "Approved". The FBI/BATF have a nasty habit of issuing a "Denied" several weeks after the initial "Delayed" then trying to burden the FFL with retrieving the gun!

Eli

Stigo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    yea i called academy today and asked them about it and they said until they have approval they will not release it. Is it going to look bad on me to go try and purchase else where??

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Can't you call ATF and get a UPIN # for a purchase if there is an issue that is not clearing? thought I remembered hearing something about that...

Get your CHL and bypass the NICS check, fill out the form and take your gun home

pheet17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    Walmart also joined the "mayors against (Il)legal guns" and passed a similar policy.

Wal-Mart has been associated with MAIG since early '08. Seems to me (opinion here) that alot of the large retailers are adopting this policy. Just a little CYA I guess, as they have more to lose. These days people sue right up the chain and these retailers have deep pockets.

Stigo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    well i went to McBride's today. Got delayed again, but I'm paid in full and they said if they haven't heard anything back in three days to come pick up the pistol.

On another note.......I got a better deal there too.

treyw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Central TX
    Joe McBride is one of the best people I've ever done business with. I'd go to McBride's for the service even if it meant paying extra on the gun. Another route to consider is if you know you can legally own a firearm you can purchase from an individual or gun show bypassing the whole NICS fiasco.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    The delay is interesting....

since I purchased a .357 Rossi 2 in from Academy. I filled out the paperwork, provided I.D., they picked up the phone, and within 10 minutes I was walking out with the weapon.

Hey guys I'm new around these forums. I went last week to purchase a handgun. I am taking my CHL class in a couple weeks and I filled all the paper work out and got delayed. I have a couple of questions about the delay. How long does it usually take to hear something back? Is there anyway to speed the process up?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Joe McBride is one of the best people I've ever done business with. I'd go to McBride's for the service even if it meant paying extra on the gun. Another route to consider is if you know you can legally own a firearm you can purchase from an individual or gun show bypassing the whole NICS fiasco.

If you buy from a dealer at a gun show, you are going to go through the NICS database.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    True, but there is nothing special about a gun show. That is just another private sale. I think most FFL's would be careful about conducting private sales, but I don't have any experience with it.

I'm just tired of the whole "gun show loophole" BS.

Stigo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    as far as i know i am perfectly legal to own a firearm....unless the court system has something screwed up. which we all know is very possible.

Top Bottom