Got Delayed....have some questions

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Stigo, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Stigo

Stigo New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys I'm new around these forums. I went last week to purchase a handgun. I am taking my CHL class in a couple weeks and I filled all the paper work out and got delayed. I have a couple of questions about the delay. How long does it usually take to hear something back? Is there anyway to speed the process up?

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You should receive a response withing 3 business days; Proceed or denied.

If the dealer does not hear back within 3 business days he can transfer the firearm to you on the 4th.

Good luck.

3. Stigo

Stigo New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    thats what i thought so i called academy back today which would be the 6th day since i tried to purchase and they said they hadnt heard anything they would call me when they heard back from NICS

4. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

BUSINESS DAYS, Saturday and Sunday are not counted. It sounds like Friday was your 4th day, so tomorrow I would go pick up my gun. Don't CALL, go.

5. pheet17

pheet17 Active Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    Academy has been known in the past not to release the gun until they have approval.

6. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    never bought from there, good to know!

7. Eli

Eli Well-Known

I can tell you as a matter of policy the FFL I used to work for wouldn't release the gun until getting an "Approved". The FBI/BATF have a nasty habit of issuing a "Denied" several weeks after the initial "Delayed" then trying to burden the FFL with retrieving the gun!

Eli

8. Stigo

Stigo New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    yea i called academy today and asked them about it and they said until they have approval they will not release it. Is it going to look bad on me to go try and purchase else where??

9. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    Walmart also joined the "mayors against (Il)legal guns" and passed a similar policy.

10. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Can't you call ATF and get a UPIN # for a purchase if there is an issue that is not clearing? thought I remembered hearing something about that...

Get your CHL and bypass the NICS check, fill out the form and take your gun home