• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragnar Danneskjold

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    Well I over at DFW Gun Range today (fantastic range btw) shooting some bulk 9mm out of my M&P full size and I had a round sizzle and pop. I almost just tap rack banged but something told me to stop and assess my firearm. So I set it down, let myself calm down a bit and took it apart. Low and behold, there's a bullet staring back at me. I'm still shook up over it. I can't even imagine what would have happened if I hadn't been thinking or aware of squibs and how they feel. Never had it happen before today, but I've read enough about it on forums like this. I'm glad I did.

y9avytu3.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    First, I didn't know they had re-opened since the fire. Good to hear they're back up and running.

Second, and more importantly, if you've got the time and access, I'd be interested to hear how much force it takes the bullet to come out of the barrel. Something simple like placing a weight on top of the dowel or some kind of spring pressure guage, etc. Or worst case, just let us know how hard you had to whack it to get the bullet to move. Then if there's a way to measure the diameter of the round to determine if it's an off size round or a poor powder load.

I've been lucky enough to not have had a squib, but with the rate they're trying to make ammo these days to keep up with demand, the odds are probably increasing.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've had a couple when I first started reloading.

I just put a cleaning rod down the barrel and slapped the whole assembly down on a table (barrel only, removed from slide). Came out fairly easy.

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    Scale for "Force applied to dislodge bullet":

Like pushing a needle through wet cardboard.
    A little bit.
    A decent whack.
    Damn. This is harder than I thought.
    GTFO outta there bullet, you scumsucking, apple raping, I've seen better pieces of lead on a fishing line, POS!

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    Good job on catching that! It's a mental game to stay focused and be ready to react appropriately to each scenario. This thread, and others like it are always a good reminder

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'd call it "a descent wack". Not really just gonna push down and slide it out, but won't need a sledgehammer either.

Just hold the cleaning rod (or whatever you use) in the barrel and hit the rod against the table so it taps the bullet out of the barrel.

Looks like it didn't travel far so probably will come out on the first or second tap/hit.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Good catch!

We had an M1 Garand shoot at a private club and I volunteered to help. The kid next to me fired the M1 and it went "pop". I stopped him before he pulled the trigger again. Turns out the members that reloaded the ammo for the event were careless and we had to stop and "shake test" every round before we continued. It could have been ugly!

That stuff makes me wince so I actually weigh every reload. It's easy and fast. I set my digital scale on a properly charged round. I set tare to zero. Each round relates back to the initial round. If one shows -43gr, ............I have a problem. It only takes a few seconds per round and it will definitely detect a squib.

Flash

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    A good lesson for everybody!

People worry about overloaded reloads, but squibs are usually more dangerous. If if doesn't sound right: STOP and Check it Out!

Good catch by the OP!!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'd call it "a descent wack". Not really just gonna push down and slide it out, but won't need a sledgehammer either.

Just hold the cleaning rod (or whatever you use) in the barrel and hit the rod against the table so it taps the bullet out of the barrel.

Looks like it didn't travel far so probably will come out on the first or second tap/hit.

I agree. Usually it doesn't take too much force to get them loose. I had a few on reloading super light loads when I first started reloading also. I expected them though.

Good catch.

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    Good catch!

We had an M1 Garand shoot at a private club and I volunteered to help. The kid next to me fired the M1 and it went "pop". I stopped him before he pulled the trigger again. Turns out the members that reloaded the ammo for the event were careless and we had to stop and "shake test" every round before we continued. It could have been ugly!

That stuff makes me wince so I actually weigh every reload. It's easy and fast. I set my digital scale on a properly charged round. I set tare to zero. Each round relates back to the initial round. If one shows -43gr, ............I have a problem. It only takes a few seconds per round and it will definitely detect a squib.

Flash

Great call on weighing your reloads. Have you found any that are missing a powder charge? To make the process faster, consider weighing in batches of 10 or 20. If you know what 1 round weighs, you should know what 10 or 20 weigh. Unless you double charge one in the batch, and leave powder out of another, this method will still help identify problems.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Then if there's a way to measure the diameter of the round to determine if it's an off size round or a poor powder load.

An oversized bullet with a proper charge would have had drastically different results...if it would have even chambered.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    An over sized bullet with a proper charge would have had drastically different results...if it would have even chambered.

Good point! It's been my experience that seating an oversize OD bullet will collapse a case at the shoulder in a rifle round. There are some sneaky ones, though. I load 9x18 Makarov and 9x19 Luger. While the rounds appear to be very similar, the 9x18 bullet is .010" oversize when compared with the 9x19 Luger. Most likely, the bullet would shave when installed or perhaps bulge the case.

In cartridges like 7.62x54R, the dies come with two expander plugs. One is for .308 diameter bullets like is used in the Finn conversions AND a plug for .310-.312" bullets needed for the Russian over sized bores.

The one to be careful of is a cartridge that is too LONG. If it jams into the rifling when chambered, pressure will spike. Overall lengths published are maximums. Too short may affect accuracy some but won't do harm. Over length is dangerous.

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Have you found any that are missing a powder charge?

The firing line is not the place to do final inspection on your reloads. I am a fanatic about safety in my reloading and if there is any chance that I made a mistake, I'll pull the whole batch down. Each round gets a visual check even on the Dillon progressives by positioning a light and a mirror so each charge is visible. It slows things up but it's a good investment in my peace of mind! A spring clamp holds the mirror and it's foolproof. Every round is visually checked, then a weight check follows.

On the Dillons, you deprime by pulling the handle back towards you. You re-prime by pushing the handle forward. That is my biggest error point......forgetting to seat the primer. Each round is visually inspected for missing primers but the quickest way to catch it is to spot powder granules on the rotating shell plate. If you see powder, there's a primer missing.

Hey, just another trick.....
    I keep a small piece of glass from a picture frame in my reloading toolbox. When the batch is complete, I place the rounds primer side down on the glass and jiggle it a little. Any round with a high primer will dance. It's quick and effective!

Flash

Last edited:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    That was also my first question - "bulk ammo" is not very informative. While squibs can happen with any load, you may be doing the community a great service by sharing with us what exact type of ammo you were shooting when this happened. I've never had a squib but they are one of my greatest phobias when shooting.

Top Bottom