• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noelnkeith

May 3, 2008
    Blanco, TX
    Got my new S&W 642, now to +P or not

view_photo.php
    Does anyone have any experience using +p ammo in these 642 airweight revolvers, I've heard everything from I've shot thousands of +p rounds through it & the gun is fine, to they wear the gun out faster so stay away and I'm not sure what I should do, the gun is rated +P, thanks
    picture.php

view_photo.php
    DK Firearms

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 4, 2008
    gunney.jpg

use regular ammo for plinking and +Ps for defense rounds.Should not be a problem shooting +Ps if the gun is rated to shoot them.

htxred

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    the 642 is not something you'll be shooting regular enough for it to matter.. so shoot what you're able to get. the gun is so light you wont be wanting to shoot much +p loads out of it anyway.

noelnkeith

May 3, 2008
    Blanco, TX
    That's what I had heard, I know if I use +p for self defense I'm going to definitely want to shoot quite a few through it just to get the feel of the difference and make sure I'm as accurate with them and I don't want to put to much undo stress on the gun if it's really not good for it, thanks

htxred

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    the whole design of the gun screams BUG, but if its going to be your primary carry then please practice with it often.

642 + ankle holster = total win.

Feb 29, 2008
    Near Rio Vista, Texas
    the whole design of the gun screams BUG, but if its going to be your primary carry then please practice with it often.

642 + ankle holster = total win.
    Clint Smith has often stated (and I happen to agree with him) that the snub-nose revolvers and shorter barreled autos are more difficult to shoot accurately than the longer barreled versions. In addition, the smaller size makes controlling the piece more difficult.

As htxred says, practice with your 642 often. Use standard .38 Specials for these exercises, and use the +P ammo for self-defense and familiarization firing.

Enron Exec

Apr 23, 2008
    Behind 16 rnds of 9x19mm
    Ive put 300 rnds of +P and 250 rnds of normal loads through my 642, see no signs of unusual wear.

The short sight radius does make it a tuff gun to shoot fast and accurately. When i carry it, i know i will only have something good for sub 7 yards and only 5 rnds. I have a CTG laser and I much prefer it over the sights on this type of application. ;)

Shooting alot of +P 38 special out of the 642 isnt all that bad. Id rather do that then shoot 357mag rnds out of my 2.25" Ruger SP101. That thing gave me carpel tunnel in my right hand one day! :eek:

oldguy

Well-Known
    Mar 6, 2008
    Please remember any firearm using high heat/pressure loads can have its life reduced using those loads consistently, its simple, practice with standard loads and fire a cyl. of +p before leaving range and carry +p, treat any tool with care and it will last.

htxred

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    obviously wayne is slow.. someone explain to him that since he had carpel tunnel in his RIGHT hand that he had to resort to rubbing one out with his LEFT hand, but it didnt feel the same so he decided to sit on it and pull the stranger.

geez i thought you chinese people were suppose to be smart!

noelnkeith

May 3, 2008
    Blanco, TX
    Gives a whole new meaning to the +P question that I started with, now should I L+P or R+P :eek:

I did finally put some rounds through it since UPS finally got their A$$ in gear, this thing does have some serious recoil but I couldn't tell that much difference between +P rounds and the regular load, I was using Winchester 130 grain brass & 125 HP +P.

TxPhantom

Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I have a 642 and a 442, both with Crimson Trace Laser grips. Usually I just shoot some +p's in them just to keep in practice but mostly I shoot 38 special for plinking at the range. The snubbies are not fun range guns anyway and will kinda give you a little jolt with + P's. I only shoot them enough to keep somewhat proficient.
    I used to think the 38 snubbies had a pretty bad kick until I shot a friends 357 magnum snubbie. Not a lot of fun IMHO! :(
    It only stands to reason that the extra pressure from the +P's will cause extra wear but probably not enough to worry about.

Top Bottom