gov't recommendation to put GPS trackers in all cars & trucks

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kingofwylietx, Jun 2, 2009.

1. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    The below link takes you to a story about the National Hwy fund falling short on revenue.

The real story is the last paragraph about a panels recommendation for the government to put GPS tracking devices in all cars & trucks. It would allow them to bill you for actual miles driven..........and, of course, keep track of you.

I guess, if they do that, they could monitor your speed & just send you a speeding ticket too.

Where did I put my tinfoil hat? :headscratch:

Administration: Highway fund to go broke in August - Yahoo! News

2. Rocket_Cowboy

Rocket_Cowboy Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    Wrap the car with tinfoil! :)

3. biglucky

biglucky Well-Known TGT Supporter

Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Well they own 2 of the "big 3" now, so...

4. cog41

cog41 Member

May 21, 2009
    Texas
    Should come as no shock to anyone.
    Especially with the Great O wanting to tax you for the miles you drive.

:crazy-1:

5. Rocket_Cowboy

Rocket_Cowboy Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    Washington State was one of the areas that piloted this project, IIRC.

The interesting thing here is that they claim the gas tax isn't bringing in enough revenue to pay for road work, because cars are more fuel efficient. The new tax would level the playing field, so that the Prius driver pays the same per mile as the 1-ton pickup truck and the motorcycle.

Supposedly, by being GPS based, your local state would charge you just for the miles you drove in that state ... thus why a simple odometer reading isn't used. How they access that GPS data, and more importantly who has access to that data, I haven't seen articulated.

6. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    GPS Trackers

There has never been a device that good ole country boys can't figure out how to wire around it or defeat it. Sort of like radar detectors and radar jammers.

Politicians always dreaming up how to bilk more money from the population, some in the Metroplex wanted to add gasoline tax to build roads in their areas.:lolz::texas:

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I haven't read the article but. Who cares why they want to do it it is wrong and they can F off I wont put that shit on my vehicle. I would like to nominate my self for president of Texas one more time.:happy0001:

8. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hmm. On the one hand, it's an idiotic idea that I think should die (just like when California suggested it).

On the other hand, it's a great idea that could earn me tons of money disabling GPS transmitters in folks' cars (just like when California suggested it).

I'm kind of torn... :lolz:

BTW, CA's idea evolved, so watch for this one to do the same. CA wanted to put a "Fastrak" toll transceiver in every car to keep track of miles driven. They actually built a large part of the network and tested it on unsuspecting Fastrak customers! http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200208/msg00045.html

9. Rocket_Cowboy

Rocket_Cowboy Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    Hmmm ... that could be Texas with all the tollroads going in across the state.

10. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yes it could. Gotta keep an eye on 'em.