• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Nowheresville, Tx
    As most of you know I am a new gun enthusiat. I have a question regarding grain. I see on all the boxes and have even been ask what grain amount I am looking for. This is chinese to me. All I know so far is that it is the amount of powder. I know nothing more.

I hope some of you wont mind explaining this to me. I did search but didnt find anything that was specific to my question.
    Guns International

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    "Grain" means two things in ammo. It is a measure of weight, and when referenced to a complete cartridge (bullet, case, powder and primer) in indicates the weight of the bullet. The bullet is the part of the cartridge that exits thru the barrel of the weapon when fired and is intended to strike the target. Sometimes the term bullet is used generically to describe a cartridge.

When speaking of reloading, it refers to the weight of the powder used to place in the case.

So if you are looking at boxes of cartridges on the store shelf then the grains is a measure of the weight of the bullet in that cartridge.

Generally a heavier bullet will have a lower velocity.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Just to elaborate.

7000 grains = 1 lbs.

When you see a grain measurement on a box of cartridges, it is refering to the weight of the actual bullet (the projectile leaving the barrel of the gun). The diameter is always standard for a particular cartridge.

For example, a 9mm luger has standard weights of 115, 124, and 147 grain bullets. There are others, but these are the most common. They all have a 9mm (.355 inch) diameter, but the heavier weights have a longer bullet, which takes up case volume. They will all fire out of a good working gun chambered in 9mm luger. The 147 grain bullets will have velocities in the 900-1000 fps, while the 115 grain will be in the area of 1200-1300 fps depending on the pistol and the load. (this ballistic data is off of memory and could be a little off. . forgive me)

As kind of a side note, some people put a lot of effort into which particular weight is the "best." I'd be more worried about how they function in your particular gun. Heavier bullets will tend to penetrate more, but that is just a broad generality.

I haven't seen any box of ammo for handguns or rifles that gave the amount and kind of powder (I think it is proprietory), but the weight in grains for 9mm is closer to 4.5-5 grains of powder for 9mm luger (much smaller).

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    To give you a reference, there are 7000 grains to the pound.
    There are "standard" weights of projectiles you can benchmark from

9mm - 115 gr. 90 gr would be considered a light weight bullet. 124 gr is considered a mid weight bullet and 147 gr is a heavy weight.
    .40 S&W - 180 gr is the "standard". 135, 155, 165 gr are considered light weights.
    .45 ACP - 230 gr "standard". 185 and 200 are "light"

"Light weight" does not necessarily mean low recoil. It may include higher velocity, but not necessarily.

drjavelina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Central Texas
    Also, a grain is an ancient measurement...based upon the mass of a single seed of wheat. A 180 grain bullet is equal in weight to 180 grains of wheat.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom