• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Of course it's liberal. Show me one from Hollywood that isn't! I thought it was a pretty good movie. I found it odd that Walt was still so bitter and clinging to 'Korea', but I suppose those guys are out there. My Dad was in WWII and Korea, killed lots of men and was shot a few times; he's not bitter.

Overall, not a bad movie. The end wasn't predictable (to me, anyway).
    ARJ Defense ad

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Overall, not a bad movie. The end wasn't predictable (to me, anyway).

Actually very predictable, remember liberals love the victim in order for the Eastwood character to redeem himself he must die at the hands of immigrant gangs. Typical Hollywood garbage, I certainly would not watch it again as I have his other movies.
    If we pay for it they will continue to make and feed this stuff to our children.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Actually very predictable, remember liberals love the victim in order for the Eastwood character to redeem himself he must die at the hands of immigrant gangs. Typical Hollywood garbage, I certainly would not watch it again as I have his other movies.
    If we pay for it they will continue to make and feed this stuff to our children.

By 'predictable', I mean I didn't expect exactly what he did (not to give away the ending). I did expect some selfless act, just not necessarily that. And I agree, this was sub-par compared to Eastwood's classic work, but he's a Hollywood-ite; what should we expect?

I didn't see the ending as redemption as much as I did sacrificing his life to ensure that Zippy would have a better life. I thought his bitterness and hatred toward non-whites was over the top. Interestingly, we (southerners) are supposed to be hard-core racist, but in my 45 years, I've never met anyone like Eastwood's character.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Just saw it tonight, I loved it.

Major spoiler alert!! (but since there are already many above...)

I don't see the ending quite the way some here do. It was pretty obvious that Walt was coughing up blood because he had inoperable and terminal lung cancer in an advanced stage. The guy was going to die pretty soon, and in a pretty ugly way. He chose to go out with his boots on, and in a way that - let's face it - screwed those gang bangers over totally and completely. He also woke the neighborhood up and got them to fight back by cooperating with the police.

It was an excellent movie, and I saw nothing of a liberal agenda in it.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Just saw it tonight, I loved it.

Major spoiler alert!! (but since there are already many above...)

I don't see the ending quite the way some here do. It was pretty obvious that Walt was coughing up blood because he had inoperable and terminal lung cancer in an advanced stage. The guy was going to die pretty soon, and in a pretty ugly way. He chose to go out with his boots on, and in a way that - let's face it - screwed those gang bangers over totally and completely. He also woke the neighborhood up and got them to fight back by cooperating with the police.

It was an excellent movie, and I saw nothing of a liberal agenda in it.

Good assessment, but I disagree about the liberal agenda. It was subtle, but basically Walt was a stereotypical old, white, "greatest generation," racist. Zippy was your stereotypical misunderstood good kid in a bad situation. Walt's racism and bitterness was over the top, and his transition to diverse and tolerant was way too easy.

I'm not saying it was a bad movie; quite the contrary. But that just smacked of typical liberal Hollywood showing us how even the worst racist can be transformed and enlightened. They fully believe that there are millions of "Walts" out there, I think.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    M. Sage, I had to bite my tongue, or hold my finger, because that element hadn't been discussed. But as you said, it's already been all my spoiled.

As for the liberal thing, if you've lived or been to places where"Walt" lives, you'd see they are out there. And while it seems far fetched, it's not unrealistic to change like that. I know a family member that grew up in NE Louisiana in a farming community that had very open ideas about "blacks". She was very verbal about her feelings about a black woman could be allowed to be on TV.....Oprah. In less than a year, she did a 180 and realized just how wrong she was. She was vocal about that and shared with us on her death bed. A very "Walt" like story.

While sure, they are messages, there are messages every where. Whatever. Take from it what works positively for you.

I control what I take away from things like this and don't resent someone for trying to sway me. I'll sway if I want to, or not. It's looking at things differently that open you to think differently; not, they win or I win, it's just differently which allows us to grow.

My new book release will be announced on the Dr. Phil Show next week....... Just kidding. :p

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    As for the liberal thing, if you've lived or been to places where"Walt" lives, you'd see they are out there.

Exactly. I grew up in Michigan, I've known guys like Wally.

FWIW, he wasn't actually all that much of a racist: he talked to all of his friends that way, and they did the same to him.

lunchbox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I was really hoping he would go postal with that M1 and kill all those zipper heads

much to my dismay that never came to pass

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I was really hoping he would go postal with that M1 and kill all those zipper heads

much to my dismay that never came to pass

It was quite the sobering event wasn't it?

I did notice that he used Hoppes for cleaning though. Wonder how much they paid to have the bottle turned around to the camera?

Blue Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    You gotta remember they made this movie for the young people not for old farts like me! It's all about who buys tickets.

Top Bottom