• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    So after years of waiting for Gran Turismo 5 to come out ... I went and bought a copy last night. After playing it for the past two days I have this to offer up:

I've played Gran Turismo since the original release of GT for the Play Station. I played it before I got into cars, and had no idea what I was doing. I remember playing it for hours and hours, tuning up my FC3S and dominating. Fast forward to today, and I have had alot of experience tuning cars, running them hard, and being exposed to the intricate sounds of many higher end cars.

With high hopes I tossed the CD into the drive and let the game fire up. The intro is cool, but certainly not the same level as GT4's, but an intro is just that ... worthless glitter. I started out the game with a Honda Civic Type-R (EK9), a really trick econobox car on roids, and off I went.

Driving Feel - The game has excellent feel. In GT3 I could drift a 600 BHP Skyline GTR with laughable ease, the breakaway was smooth and predictable. Then comes GT4 ... the cars just felt like you had a rubber band for a steering input. I can honestly say that GT5 returns the awesome finesse that GT3 had. I can feel the car understeer, and contrary to GT4 they actually TURN IN. Getting onto the power will break away the tires relatively smoothly, but like in real life it's easy to get the car to snap back on you if you don't stay in it. They did their homework here, and it's a bit of a learning curve to translate how much correction you need.

Sound - This is something that the entire GT series has epically failed at for over a decade. GT5 has MUCH better sounds ... in fact, many of the individual cars sound exactly the same. I bought a Nissan Silvia which has an SR20DET engine in it, and the start-up noise it makes actually cued memories of my SR20 starting up. The engine sounds like a small turbo 4-Cyl. ... the rotaries sound like weedeaters, the 4 cyls. have lag, the V8s ... well ... they are much better, but have this annoying rasp to them. For as much detail as GT beats on about, they should have included VTEC, and really worked with the community to identify sounds better. The game reaks of sound engineers ... too hell with what you interpret them to sound like, all car guys know what they should sound like, and some of them are wrong. This reminds me of a sound engineer that argued with me about how gun fire sounds when they themselves had never heard it in person.

Cars - 950 cars, pretty good selection that tries to please everyone. You may not find your exact car, but so far I've gotten some pretty cool ones! (SilEighty, 62 Buick, 69 Camaro Z28, Mugen CRX, etc.).

There are a few things I could improve on in the game, like the return of more wheel choice. I like being able to paint cars in the game, make my own track, etc. The fact that you can't modify the looks of the non-"premium" cars is lame.

To sum this game up, it's a polished version of all the other GTs as a palette. I like it, but as always, it could have been better in the basics.
    ARJ Defense ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What wheel are you using? I've still got my Logitech wheel for the PS2. Is there a better one out there now or is it even compatible to the PS3? I've specifically held off on buying a PS3 until GT5 came out, lol...

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    No wheel, just me.

I drove an MR layout car and it was stupidly loose. I know MR layouts are really touchy, but I think they went a bit overboard on it.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I've tried so hard over the years to enjoy the Gran Turismo games but the licensing system always irks me. I don't particularly care whether or not I can stop a fake car between two lines in a specific amount of time. So long as I can tune a car that'll blow the competition away, why should it matter? I miss the old GTO Twin Turbo from GT1 :)

pyrat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Allen, Texas
    Good to know. I've had GT5 on pre-order for years (or maybe it just seems that way). For me this is the only driving sim I've ever tired that makes me feel like I'm actually driving, even including Fords off road simulator which I tried out at last years State Fair in Dallas.

Thanks for the review.

Guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    agree ..lucky for me , one of my friends is better at this then i am ..so we often help each other through games by playing too each of our strengths .sadly ,even though he gets the license for me i often loose the more technical tracks ...
    funny story ....i was playing an earlier version of this and using one of my faster cars on the high speed ring in one of the endurance races .it was late ,i fell asleep ,woke up and even with worn tires and rubbing the wall i was a few laps short of a win ..

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I know this thread is old and someone bumped it, but I hate how they have 500 versions of the miata, civic, eco, skyline and GTR, and every fucking Nissan, but only have an anemic selection of mustangs.

Guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    agree ...i also wonder how many people were suckered by the prologue version , that wasnt even a complete game

Top Bottom