• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    For me, I would not have even cared if she refused to sign. If she ignores it she gets a warrant.

However, the law does allow for an arrest of she refuses. Once she was out of the car and told him give her the fu(*&ing ticket, she'd sign..I might have had her sign then too. However, she was combative and uncooperative. I agree the officer may have let his ego get to him, but those situations are dynamic and fluid.

It was clear she did not care what the officer told her. Once he made his decision to arrest, it was too late for her to backpedal. Don't bluff unless you are willing to call it.
    I agree completely!
    Gun Zone Deals

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    :banghead::banghead::banghead:
    Granny got hers"? The TASER was not used to teach granny a lesson, punish her or in any way be punitive. It was used as a control device to effect an arrest. That is all.
    I'm aware of the law regarding the use of force to effect an arrest. No need to explain.
    That is a suspension on my planet
    You're reading to deep into my comments.

Who gives a rats ass about making granny happy?
    The department that will be paying the lawsuit! That's who.

A settlement is not a "win". And perhaps TC will and perhaps they won't.
    A settle is a win if you are the one getting 1.5 million dollars for you own stupidity.
    Completely disagree
    Go ahead and disagree. Ain't hurting my feelings.

Bottom line is "granny" did in fact get tassed. She did in fact start the situation off by refusing to sign the ticket. And she did cause herself to get the shock treatment. I do not feel sorry for at all. The officer was letting his ego get the better of him. If the deputy gets a A few days off to reflect on how his emotions interfere with his work I'm okay with that. Just look at the video again his voice was not calm and stable. He was screaming at her, he should not have done that. You are attacking my views because they are not YOUR views. The law can be interpreted different ways, that is why the police put them away and the judges let them out.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. Do you talking in court. Sign the ticket and end your involvement as quickly as possible.

Either way, I don't think she deserved to be treated like that.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. Do you talking in court. Sign the ticket and end your involvement as quickly as possible.

Either way, I don't think she deserved to be treated like that.

I agree.

Was there probably a better, non-violent way to deal with her? Probably. Watching the video, I'd bet money that this officer came to the window with an attitude. That's all it takes for a lot of people to dig in their heels. In that situation, it's best to take the high road, get the officer's name and badge number and call his supervisor later.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    A settle is a win if you are the one getting 1.5 million dollars for you own stupidity.
    You assume they would settle for that absurd amount. And the officer did nothing stupid.

Bottom line is "granny" did in fact get tassed. She did in fact start the situation off by refusing to sign the ticket. And she did cause herself to get the shock treatment. I do not feel sorry for at all. The officer was letting his ego get the better of him. If the deputy gets a A few days off to reflect on how his emotions interfere with his work
    His work was not interfered with. He did his job. And he did it lawfully and apparently with the support of his agency, rather than a Monday Morning Quarterback.
    I'm okay with that.
    Easy for you sitting in your living room and never having to deal with these situations.
    Just look at the video again his voice was not calm and stable. He was screaming at her, he should not have done that.
    Again, an easy POV while sitting in your home.
    You are attacking my views because they are not YOUR views.
    No, I am not attacking your views at all. I disagree with them. Your views are uneducated and ill formed.
    The law can be interpreted different ways, that is why the police put them away and the judges let them out.

There was no law here to be interpreted.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I agree.

Was there probably a better, non-violent way to deal with her? Probably.
    Really? And you base that on experience?
    Watching the video, I'd bet money that this officer came to the window with an attitude. That's all it takes for a lot of people to dig in their heels. In that situation, it's best to take the high road, get the officer's name and badge number and call his supervisor later.

Wow, you assume something you have no evidence of to justify your position.

Did you see that this woman LIED about the entire incident before the dash cam video was released? Did you see the entire video and her demeanor?

Good grief. The anti-cop attitudes are clear in this thread.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    That is almost funny.

Maybe you think Mike Tyson bullying your mom is funny too.

I call Douchebaggery!

Not everyone attends your church or follows your cult.

EDIT:

Maybe deserved is the wrong word. She, or anyone that is dumb enough to fight a cop on their turf instead of court, is going to have an unpleasant encounter if they give a cop any guff. Especially if he's a knuckledragger. Yes, there are lots of knuckledraggers everywhere, so keep your shirt on and hear me out .

I lived in South Florida for 2 years. I met a lot of senior citizens. Some deserved, and even earned, my respect. Some did not. There is always a smart way and a dumb way to handle people.

IMHO, both of the people involved in this incident are raving idiots and both are a menace to society.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    He did his job. And he did it lawfully

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you should. There different ways of handling situations. If that was a 21 year old, 250 lb, mean looking guy, you handle it one way. If it's a 72 year old women you handle it a different way. That officer was never in any danger and from what I saw.. there was no threat to his safety. Good grief. It's an old women, albeit a cranky one, but still an old women. We're just going to have to differ on this. I still think the officer was way out of line and needs to learn some people skills.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Really? And you base that on experience?

Just because I'm a cop doesn't mean I haven't had to deal with people like her. Just let them run themselves down. It can take a while, but that usually works.

Wow, you assume something you have no evidence of to justify your position.

Did you see that this woman LIED about the entire incident before the dash cam video was released? Did you see the entire video and her demeanor?

I'm assuming based on prior experience. I've been pulled over by two kinds of cop: professional and courteous (who may or may not give me a ticket; that doesn't change my opinion) and unprofessional types who are just the kind to shove someone out of the blue like this guy did. Going by the way he acts, he reminds me very much of the second kind.

I remember the SFPD motor officer who pulled me over in a customer's car because it was smoking out the tailpipe. Admittedly, that's a traffic violation there, but it's not exactly the end of the freaking world, now is it? He came up and called me seven kinds of son of a bitch - literally! I remained courteous and professional, even though he didn't know what those words meant. Little Napoleon just wanted to cuss and yell at me, since he never made good on his threat to tow the car ("I'll fucking tow this piece of shit right now!" - direct quote, my response was "I've got no problem with that"). This Travis Co. cop carries himself the same way as that prick from SFPD.

I was honestly so shocked to run into a cop like that (this was before I found out that this kind of cop is actually common in CA) that I didn't even think to get his badge number and complain. Not that that would have probably done any good. As I said, this attitude was so prevalent in CA that he quite possibly would have got a pat on the back and an "attaboy" from his command structure. Why was I shocked? I grew up around cops as a kid. Hell, my own mother was one for a while.

I'm not anti-police, not by a long-shot. Hell, I considered it (and still do from time to time) but don't want to work for politicians, or wind up having to work with the sadists who like to push people around for kicks. What I'm against is unprofessional police who enjoy hiding behind the badge and abuse their power. What I'm against is seeing the police in Texas turn into what I saw going on in CA.

I actually have a lot of respect for most Texas police. The (very limited so far) interactions I've had tell me that they're not like the cops in CA. The first time I see a cop wearing BDU-style pants bloused over boots (add in a "high and tight" military-looking haircut and you have a lot of CA cops) in Texas is the day that Texas LE loses a lot of my respect, though.

BTW: The reason my mother quit was because she had a "funny feeling" about one of the other cops that nobody would listen to. Turns out she was right; he was hiding behind the badge to get his kicks... he's now on Michigan's sex offender registry. I can give you his name if you want to look it up. Point being: most cops don't want to believe bad things about other cops.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If she is dumb enough to file suit, she won't win.

You are SOOOOOOOO wrong on that count. You have heard of all of the million dollar plus settlements the City of Austin is paying out to the family members of gangbanger who get justifiably shot and killed by the police havent you? Travis County will settle, especially when Sheriff Hamilton expressed "shock and dismay" at the way the constable handled himself.{ and yes, I know that the Constable's office is a different elected position than the Sheriff's Dept.}

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    You are SOOOOOOOO wrong on that count. You have heard of all of the million dollar plus settlements the City of Austin is paying out to the family members of gangbanger who get justifiably shot and killed by the police havent you? Travis County will settle, especially when Sheriff Hamilton expressed "shock and dismay" at the way the constable handled himself.{ and yes, I know that the Constable's office is a different elected position than the Sheriff's Dept.}

Well McDonald's has been sued for people spillin hot coffee they purchased on themselves, for fat people gettin fat by eatin their food... and since the world of disclaimers... Maybe they need to put on the side of patrol cars "CAUTION this may be an electrifying experience" in really really small letters

Phoebe Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Houston ish
    Oh my goodness, I just saw this thread, and viewed the video. IMHO it boils down to the law, not public sentiment. But to Granny, she was all about beginning this ordeal stating that she's a poor lil' ole lady of 72 years. Sorry...Granny lied. Granny did not comply. Granny was bad. I bet if you look into that family tree you'll see some whacked out dynamics.

The officer did not break the law, Granny did. She was combative with an officer whose back was against crazy incoming traffic. One shove by lil' ole Granny and the officer would have been dead meat. He's got a thousand things running through his head on what could happen and 'Ann Richards' wanna-be is not backing off. Take it to trial Granny! This is not your first run in with authority.

I bet they find out Granny didn't go to Sunday School as a little girl...

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I very rarely agree with anything txinvestigator has to say but I'm in 100% agreement with him on this case.

I'd disagree that the police are above suspicion, criticism, or correction. They are regular people with a badge, a gun, and a high school diploma, not Gods.

Calling law abiding citizens anti-LE, because they disagree with your point of view on how a policeman handled a situation, is a trick right out of the Obama/Alinsky playbook.

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    The whole point of less then lethal devices such as tasers, batons, and pepper spray are there for the officer to use to gain compliance so he does not need to use physical force to possibly injure himself while trying to arrest a subject. The lady is 72 years old, but I am sure she could still hurt a grown man trying to put cuffs on her. Let's say the officer just tried to use his muscle to put cuffs on her and ended up spraining his hand or something. He would be out of work for like a week on workman's comp and it would be one less officer on the street from preventing/stopping crime. Its so easy to be a Monday morning quarterback, but the officer was the one there during the incident and he chose/decided what action to take. IMO I may have done things differently, but in the end granny resisted so she's going to pay the price for resisting. Its that simple!!!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Just because you CAN doesn't mean you should. There different ways of handling situations. If that was a 21 year old, 250 lb, mean looking guy, you handle it one way. If it's a 72 year old women you handle it a different way.
    Exactly what "way" would you handle it? I refer to arresting the women. How many people have YOU had to restrain that were not cooperative, in fact, were hostile and actively resisting?
    That officer was never in any danger and from what I saw.. there was no threat to his safety.
    So what? My using a control device, he put neither himself or her in danger.
    Good grief. It's an old women, albeit a cranky one, but still an old women. We're just going to have to differ on this. I still think the officer was way out of line and needs to learn some people skills.

Remember, I said the officer let his ego get the best of him by getting upset with her and not just sending her on her way even though she refused to sign.

However, once he made the decision to arrest, his actions were appropriate. I would not have arrested, but that does not make him wrong for doing so.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'd disagree that the police are above suspicion, criticism, or correction. They are regular people with a badge, a gun, and a high school diploma, not Gods.
    Absolutely. It just so happens in this case the officer was justified in arresting and TASEing her.

Calling law abiding citizens anti-LE, because they disagree with your point of view on how a policeman handled a situation, is a trick right out of the Obama/Alinsky playbook.
    It is not the disagreement, but specific comments.

And I don't care if people who have no clue what they are talking about disagree with me or not. It would be like a surgeon being bothered because I disagree with his sugical opinion.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Absolutely. It just so happens in this case the officer was justified in arresting and TASEing her.

It is not the disagreement, but specific comments.

And I don't care if people who have no clue what they are talking about disagree with me or not.

I agree that he was justified. We are disagreeing on what constitutes a decent human being and what is good judgement.

Top Bottom