Grasping at straws

Skip

TGT Addict
Aug 26, 2008
NW San Antonio
I know this is a real stretch, but back in 1982 my favorite uncle was killed in a motorcycle wreck. He was a great guy, served in the Air Force and the Army, He was a top notch gunsmith, and a life member of the NRA, who had one point approached him to be a part of the national level. Anyway, I told a little about his background because I am wondering about an AR-15 he owned, unfortunately when he died, my aunt gave it to a friend, giving me his handguns. There are SO many rifles of this type now, and I am thinking of using my return to buy my first AR-15. In the 70's and early 80's, were there a bunch of differant versions? Considering his deep involvement in guns, what would you guess to be the version he had back then? I know this is a stretch, I am just looking for ideas for my first AR-15 to be similar to his. Sorry for the long post...

Skip

Skip

TGT Addict
Aug 26, 2008
NW San Antonio
Thanks for the help guy's, I guarantee he would have had the best available. I honestly don't remember the handle, I was pretty young. I really appreciate you guy's taking the time to help me with a starting point with this. Now to start hunting...Thanks guy's

TomCat0197

May 28, 2008
Converse
There's a couple of sources for retro parts and information if you decide to build your own rather than try to source an original. Buying an original could get pretty expensive if his was an actual select-fire model.

At the very least it might help you track down what model he may have had. Considering the M16A2 was introduced in 1982, if your uncle had possessed this rifle for any period of time, it most likely had triangular handguards like the Colt SP1.

Retro Black Rifle lists Civilian and Military models with periods of service / manufacture. There's photos as well, which might give you a reference point for comparison.

Ar15.com has an entire subforum dedicated to retro models and clones. There's quite a few people there to ask for information. Something to consider, if you can get his service dates, he may have tried to source a model as close to what he had during his service time as well. I can attest to this because I ended up building an AR15A4. Granted the A2 was in service during my time in, but I wanted a bit more flexibility for optics.

Links help so here's some starting points:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=123[/URL]

[url]http://www.retroblackrifle.com/index.html[/URL]

Hope this helps!

Skip

TGT Addict
Aug 26, 2008
NW San Antonio
VERY helpful, thanks alot. I really appreciate the replies, I know this is a corny one. My uncle was a VERY cool guy, and I wish I would have inherited his, but I will be happy having something close. THANKS!!

1rightguy

Mar 25, 2009
Could not have been an A2.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Staff online