• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I know this is a real stretch, but back in 1982 my favorite uncle was killed in a motorcycle wreck. He was a great guy, served in the Air Force and the Army, He was a top notch gunsmith, and a life member of the NRA, who had one point approached him to be a part of the national level. Anyway, I told a little about his background because I am wondering about an AR-15 he owned, unfortunately when he died, my aunt gave it to a friend, giving me his handguns. There are SO many rifles of this type now, and I am thinking of using my return to buy my first AR-15. In the 70's and early 80's, were there a bunch of differant versions? Considering his deep involvement in guns, what would you guess to be the version he had back then? I know this is a stretch, I am just looking for ideas for my first AR-15 to be similar to his. Sorry for the long post...

Skip
    Target Sports

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Thanks for the help guy's, I guarantee he would have had the best available. I honestly don't remember the handle, I was pretty young. I really appreciate you guy's taking the time to help me with a starting point with this. Now to start hunting...Thanks guy's

TomCat0197

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Converse
    There's a couple of sources for retro parts and information if you decide to build your own rather than try to source an original. Buying an original could get pretty expensive if his was an actual select-fire model.

At the very least it might help you track down what model he may have had. Considering the M16A2 was introduced in 1982, if your uncle had possessed this rifle for any period of time, it most likely had triangular handguards like the Colt SP1.

Retro Black Rifle lists Civilian and Military models with periods of service / manufacture. There's photos as well, which might give you a reference point for comparison.

Ar15.com has an entire subforum dedicated to retro models and clones. There's quite a few people there to ask for information. Something to consider, if you can get his service dates, he may have tried to source a model as close to what he had during his service time as well. I can attest to this because I ended up building an AR15A4. Granted the A2 was in service during my time in, but I wanted a bit more flexibility for optics.

Links help so here's some starting points:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=123[/URL]

[url]http://www.retroblackrifle.com/index.html[/URL]

Hope this helps!

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    VERY helpful, thanks alot. I really appreciate the replies, I know this is a corny one. My uncle was a VERY cool guy, and I wish I would have inherited his, but I will be happy having something close. THANKS!!

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    In that time frame if you wanted and AR15 there was only the Colt SP1. If you wanted any other configuration you bought the Colt and took it to a smith that knew the AR and had him build it on the basic Colt. Even then parts were not that plentiful and were very expensive.

Top Bottom