Target Sports

Great Day at the Battleship Texas yesterday.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Had a young nephew visiting yesterday and decided to take him and a friend's son (ages 11 & 12) the the Battleship Texas for a few hours of climbing around and exploring. Little did we know how special the trip would turn out to be.

Yesterday the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the folks at the ship hosted a crew member reunion. They had a temp.section of the deck cordoned off for the VIPs reception before they toured the ship. TPWD and battleship staff were all over the place answering questions, telling everyone what was happening and granting special access to the vets and their families.

We got real lucky and was able to meet some of the guys, and listened to a lot of stories about the ship.

We ran across a number of the old fellas sitting below decks with their family and friends telling about the space they were in and how that is where they lived, worked, slept, etc. Some of those guys even got all the way down to just above the engine room, and up to the pilot house.

The daughter of the XO that served on the ship during the Normandy invasion was there with her family, she had not visited the ship since the 40's. The TPWD folks opened up the pilot house for her and her group to enter. We got to tag along, meet her and her son who had brought family pictures from the time his grandfather served. The three of us got to look at actual charts, pictures, and hear him retell a few of his grandfathers stories of the ship when it engaged German shore batteries during WWII. They had pictures of the damage caused when they got hit by a shell right below where we were standing, causing the only combat death the ship ever suffered to the helmsman standing right where we were. Pictures of shell splashes that missed and pictures of the beach they fired on, charts that they used to navigate during the battle. He also had pictures of the Kamikaze plane attacking the ship after she moved to the Pacific to support the invasions of Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Lot of the maintenance staff was also on duty yesterday and we got the story on the recent flooding, how they fixed it, the money problems that plague the ship, etc.

This was the next to last reunion scheduled. The next, and final one, will be in two years for the 100th anniversary of the ships commissioning. The staff are not real confident that there ever be as many crew members on the ship ever again, (one member who was planning to attend the event passed last week).

D1.jpg

The young men will remember this trip for a long time.

Just hope we can make the ceremonies in two years.
    ARJ Defense ad

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    My Grandfather past away in May 1989, he used to take my brother, cousins, and I to see the USS Texas at least once a year in from 1978 to 1986 I will always remember it and hold those warm memories close. My dad also gave up his milk money for a time in the late 1940's to help bring her to TX. Students collected money to help finance it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That's awesome, I've been to see the Lexington but never to the Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Mont Belvieu, TX
    I grew up just across Burnett Bay from there. We used to ride our bicycles over there, sneak past security and play hide and seek on the lower levels. Sounds like you took them on a special day...they got a treat they will never forget.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That's awesome, I've been to see the Lexington but never to the Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't been to the Lexington, but I've toured one of the ships in her class. They had a bunch of former crew on the Hornet when I visited, it was pretty cool. Even a guy who'd flown later in her career, with jets. Crazy to think of a WWII built carrier launching and recovering jets...

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Awesome story, I went to tour the Lexington a few times when I was younger and meaning to get out there again since I've served and have done a ship deployment, think it will make me appreciate the condition of the ship I was on more lol.

MGTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    By the Bay
    I grew up just across Burnett Bay from there. We used to ride our bicycles over there, sneak past security and play hide and seek on the lower levels. Sounds like you took them on a special day...they got a treat they will never forget.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

No kidding!! I grew up in Deer Park and did the same thing in the late 70's. You could find all kinds of old junk down there. They finally caught on to us and would not let us bring our flashlights aboard anymore.

Cool Stories.

Top Bottom