Guns International

Great day for the range (unless you have a glock)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    The only 1911 that has given me issues is a GSG 1911 in .22lr.

Every other that I have owned in .45acp or 9mm has been reliable. I only sold them to fund other guns.

I like 1911s and Glocks but I respect other people's opinions about what they like or don't like. I tried XD and M&P pistols but ended up staying with Glock. They just work great for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Have you tried not doing that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ha!

I bought 3 before I finally realized what was happening.

I constantly have to be conscious of how I'm holding it. Somehow, during recoil, I inevitably end up hitting it enough for it to work it out to where it jams.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    No doubt 1911's are beautiful, but often, not always, but more often than not, don't go bang when they should...unless tweaked by a very skilled GS and then they still often remain persnickety......

Glocks, not beautiful, but more often dependable than any 1911.

Believe it or don't.

Uppa to u.

Seriously have no dog in the fight. Own a Glock and like it and would buy another and own lots of other pistols including SA/DA and like them too. But really, don't go bang more often than not means over half the time they don't fire. That's obviously a HUGE exaggeration. I mean...c'mon.

This fanboy shit is out of control.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    No doubt 1911's are beautiful, but often, not always, but more often than not, don't go bang when they should...unless tweaked by a very skilled GS and then they still often remain persnickety......

Glocks, not beautiful, but more often dependable than any 1911.

Believe it or don't.

Uppa to u.

I have a Remington 1911R1 that works beautifully if you don't shove a junk mag into it (If a 1911 jams, there's a 99% chance it's the mag causing your issue, not the gun).

The fact that it's a REMINGTON and it works just fine pretty much disproves that skilled GS BS. If they can do it, it can't be THAT hard.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I see 1911's malfunction all the time, i also see glocks malf a lot too.

Most malfunctioning glocks can be fixed by doing 2 things, lubricating the gun, and making sure the shooter knows how to hold the gun.

1911's aren't quite so easy to figure out. Though like with glocks, a bit of TW25B gets them running with a good degree of regularity

It should be remembered that hundreds of companies make 1911's, and hundreds of companies make parts for glock. You may be dealing with some dudes WECSOG special for all you know

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Only time I've seen issues with a 1911 is when a not so skilled gunsmith did a shit trigger job and it was making light primer strikes every trigger pull. Also some issues when I got some cheap mags.

Never owned a Glock, for several reasons. They're good dependable guns, just not my thing. I've seen some issues of stove piping, but the dude had been changing out internals with aftermarket parts. I don't blame that on the Glock so much.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rdcott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2018
    Katy
    Couldn't have better weather for a morning at the range. Cool, sunny, not as much wind as usual. Fantastic.

Sweet shooting, hard hitting Ruger SR762 was enjoyable as always.

Put plenty of .45ACP down range with the 1911's. Smooth as silk.

Watched a guy with a glock spend a half hour trying to figure out why it kept jamming before he finally gave up in disgust and left.

May have to hit the range again tomorrow afternoon.

LOLOLOLOL!!! excellent sh-t starter, right there!! You should have told that guy to quit shooting cheap reloads.
    FYI- the ONLY way a Glock "jams" is if it's not locked/loaded or cheap ammo is used.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Just saying Vickers disagrees with you.

So? Jeff Cooper doesn't.

My RIA runs fine. My SA needed tweaking but that was 2 decades ago. A GS works on 1911s to get the most out of them. Hell Wilson made a career out of it.

So after declaring that "more often than not" 1911's have to have a skilled gunsmith tweak them for them to work right, you recount how one you have didn't, and one did. And then you present a mythical gunsmith as your proof, along with a guy whose living was making highly customized 1911s.

I got no issue with 1911s

Then what's with the "more often than not" claim?

and carried 2 SA 45s for awhile. My phone issue is the 1911 die hards trying the argue how they are better than a Glock.

I never claimed they were, I'm just taking exception to your sweeping generalities that by your own admission haven't been a "more often than not" issue with you.

They just are not when you consider several priorities.

"From a certain point of view", eh?

Carry your heavy low capacity often needs tweaking 45 if you want. I don't care.

1) Never said I carried mine. But it has had a better than 99.9% reliability with no tweaking, and no failures that were more than a momentary distraction. Two failures, neither from mechanical issues with the pistol itself.
    2) Don't need your permission.
    3) Mine has needed zero tweaking. Again with the unfounded assertions.
    4) Condescension gets you nowhere.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Zod,

"But you go on telling yourself that if it makes you feel better."

Feeling a bit defensive?

Nah, I just get annoyed with the snobbery and sweeping generalities about a classic firearm.

Here's the 411: 1911's are beautiful, old undependable hunks of gun.

Not each and every one, just most.......

You could give me one, but I'd never, ever buy one except for a decorative piece of nostalgia.

Hey, good example of said snobbery and sweeping generalities. A 1911 was the second firearm I purchased, and I wasn't disappointed in its function in the least. It's a joy to shoot on the range, it's accurate, and it eats any ammo I feed it. And no gunsmith has ever touched it.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    So? Jeff Cooper doesn't.

So after declaring that "more often than not" 1911's have to have a skilled gunsmith tweak them for them to work right, you recount how one you have didn't, and one did. And then you present a mythical gunsmith as your proof, along with a guy whose living was making highly customized 1911s.

Then what's with the "more often than not" claim?

I never claimed they were, I'm just taking exception to your sweeping generalities that by your own admission haven't been a "more often than not" issue with you.

"From a certain point of view", eh?

1) Never said I carried mine. But it has had a better than 99.9% reliability with no tweaking, and no failures that were more than a momentary distraction. Two failures, neither from mechanical issues with the pistol itself.
    2) Don't need your permission.
    3) Mine has needed zero tweaking. Again with the unfounded assertions.
    4) Condescension gets you nowhere.
    I could argue all your points but why? Carry your 1911 (oh that is right you do not). Shoot your 1911 at the range, more power to you. I just gave you my viewpoint and perspective from real world experience. Not my problem if you do not like it.

Yep Cooper was a fan of the 1911 but would ue be today? Tactics, technology, equipment all moves forward.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

SlimJim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    US
    Whenever I go to the range with one of my Glocks, I always have a grand time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Can't believe I read that entire thread, only myself to blame.

Y'all sure seem to have a lot of trouble with guns, been lucky I guess.

Did have (still have) a P22 that wouldn't cycle with low velocity ammo. Sorry, just trying to fit in...

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Can't believe I read that entire thread, only myself to blame.

Y'all sure seem to have a lot of trouble with guns, been lucky I guess.

Did have (still have) a P22 that wouldn't cycle with low velocity ammo. Sorry, just trying to fit in...
    My p22 only liked Remington golden bullets for whatever reason. The plating also did quite a lot for not fouling up the barrel with lead.

Top Bottom