• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Tom Hanks stars. Cool 1870’s gun content. Set in Texas. Superb acting and plot line. Best film I’ve seen in years and I highly recommend. I downloaded it from HBO Max onto a tablet and saw it this week while traveling on business.
    Military Camp

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I have it set to tivo.

Interesting, because it got zero out of four stars in the guide.

Sometimes, those turn out to be the best, lol.
    ^ That is quite true. AND more often than not, movies with lots of awards and good critic feedback are total flops.

I find it hard to believe any movie with Tom Hanks to be no good.

Thanks for the recommendation Bill

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I find this to be mostly true. I was not crazy about Castaway, though.
    I found an old one a while back I had never heard of. I think it was called "Larry Crowne"? It had Julia Roberts and was kind of weird in a fun way. It was on one of the free watch channels (Pluto?).
    Ah, not as old as I thought: 2011.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Really, a pretty simple plot line, but it is a very good movie, well acted and believable for that time in Texas. The shooting scenes were interesting, including packing those brass case 12ga shells with dimes, lol! I never knew or imagined that there were traveling news readers anywhere!

My mother's german family were around Hondo, Quihi, and New Fountain at that time..., and many still are.

My father's family didn't come to Uvalde and Bandera counties from Madison and Coryell until 1885, when the indian threat was over, but scalpings and kidnappings happened in the years before.

My AT&T account includes HBO Max, so it was no skin to watch and well worth the time.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    The best film I’ve seen in years. I want to do some homework to fill in the year in which the film is set -1870- and the revolvers and rifles featured. I do know that Tom Hanks is a history buff and doubt he’d allow huge misses. ie- Guns featured that weren’t in use in 1870. I see a Remington and a Colt six gun. I want to verify they were in use in 1870. They are cartridge guns. I know little about firearms of that era and want to learn more.

Reactions: gll

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Thanks for the info. My wife has been out of the country for the last week and I've been catching up on movies. I'll add this one to the list.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Thanks for the info. My wife has been out of the country for the last week and I've been catching up on movies. I'll add this one to the list.
    Clint Eastwood's new film, "Cry Macho" was just released on HBO Max...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Joe vs The Volcano came out over 30 years ago. Almost everybody hates it but certain things about it resonated deeply with me; it's still one of my favorites.

However, if you want to find a Tom Hanks movie that lots of people consider no good, I'd start there.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    They’re all leftists- including Willie Nelson. I hold my nose and enjoy myself if I consider it fun. Unless it’s Bruce Springsteen. I’ll turn the station if that scumbag comes on.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I personally didn't care for the Hanks movie but that's me. I give them all 5 minutes and if they haven't got me by then I turn them off. Not interested in the new Eastwood movies. The old Eastwood westerns are classic. The new artsy stuff is not for me. But that's me.

Top Bottom