• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    DON'T drop him in the country, I already have 3 people dropped off, one of which is yodeling at the moment because I'm on here instead of paying attention to her.
    I feel your pain. That’s how we end up with dogs we don’t need too.

“Drop him off in the country, those people love stray dogs.”

All these people offering their profound advice need to just swing by and pick him up. But chances are they’ll just leave another dog and I’ll be stuck with one more.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I feel your pain. That’s how we end up with dogs we don’t need too.

“Drop him off in the country, those people love stray dogs.”

All these people offering their profound advice need to just swing by and pick him up. But chances are they’ll just leave another dog and I’ll be stuck with one more.

Maybe the aren’t because they are responsible enough not to take dogs they will not have time to raise/train properly instead of taking a dog because it sounds like a good idea and then deciding maybe it should just die because they were irresponsible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Maybe the aren’t because they are responsible enough not to take dogs they will not have time to raise/train properly instead of taking a dog because it sounds like a good idea and then deciding maybe it should just die because they were irresponsible.

Might high horse you ride...

free to a good home and I know you’re nearby.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

Said it much nicer than I would have.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

Out of control dog? Fix it or put it down, it's your property and responsibility. You start passing them off they end up worse off usually. That's all everyone is saying.

The advice you got was sound.

Good luck.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

The dog is your responsibility, no one else's. If you cannot handle the dog, or cannot commit to the time, energy, and resources required to properly train the dog, that is fine. I don't think anyone will judge you for admitting that. Killing the dog because you cannot handle it is not the right solution, nor is dropping it off in the country (the people who do that deserve to be strung up in a tree). That is simply avoiding your responsibility. Either get professional help to train this dog, or find someone to give it to who will.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    The dog is your responsibility, no one else's. If you cannot handle the dog, or cannot commit to the time, energy, and resources required to properly train the dog, that is fine. I don't think anyone will judge you for admitting that. Killing the dog because you cannot handle it is not the right solution, nor is dropping it off in the country (the people who do that deserve to be strung up in a tree). That is simply avoiding your responsibility. Either get professional help to train this dog, or find someone to give it to who will.
    Free to a good home.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    DON'T drop him in the country, I already have 3 people dropped off, one of which is yodeling at the moment because I'm on here instead of paying attention to her.

Whistler,

Somebody is dropping PEOPLE off in your area??
    (CHUCKLE.)

I agree that NOBODY should abandon unwanted dogs/cats/donkeys/other pets ANYPLACE.

yours, satx

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I already have 2 rescue dogs. I know my limits and won’t take on another that I wouldn’t have time to properly train.

Getting professional help in training the dog is the best solution unless you can find someone who has the time and resources to take in that responsibility. It’s a lot of work but that can come with the territory when making a dog part of the family.

I don’t judge you for trying to find the dog a better home. I judge you for considering the dogs death as a solution to your mistake.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

ImVho, a LOT of "well meaning folks" get a pup of one of the GUARDIAN BREEDS & afterward discover that these canines FREQUENTLY make POOR house pets, regardless of training.
    (My particular "pet peeve", as I've owned/trained/worked several of them over the last 4+ decades, are UNKNOWING people who buy a DOBERNAN PINSCHER, because they LOOK "tough" OR they saw a Dobie "in the movies" OR they think the breed is handsome & then discover that they cannot handle the dog competently/safely.= SOME of the "lines", in my OPINION as a ex-LEO/handler, should NOT be owned by NON-professionals at all.)

just my OPINION, satx

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    To All,

ImVho, a LOT of "well meaning folks" get a pup of one of the GUARDIAN BREEDS & afterward discover that these canines FREQUENTLY make POOR house pets, regardless of training.
    (My particular "pet peeve", as I've owned/trained/worked several of them over the last 4+ decades, are UNKNOWING people who buy a DOBERNAN PINSCHER, because they LOOK "tough" OR they saw a Dobie "in the movies" OR they think the breed is handsome & then discover that they cannot handle the dog competently/safely.= SOME of the "lines", in my OPINION as a ex-LEO/handler, should NOT be owned by NON-professionals at all.)

just my OPINION, satx
    When would you like to pick him up? I can meet anytime.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    To All,

just my OPINION, satx
    Everydog I ever rescued need a human. Not all human need dogs

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    When would you like to pick him up? I can meet anytime.

hellish horses,

While I would LOVE to have him (IF I was still living on the family farm) but SADLY I am NOT even allowed to have any animal except "tropical fish or birds" in my current living quarters.

Fyi, I've already made some phone calls to stockmen that I know & who are NOT "stuck in the city" in a "dog-free residence" & who may well want your GP.
    (IF I get a callback from one of them, we'll be in touch.)

NOTE: IF I could have a dog(s), I would already have a Dobie or a pair of them, as the breed is my favorite & I know how to train/handle them competently.
    (WHEN/IF we retire OCONUS to a large rural property, we WILL have Dobermans.)

yours, satx

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    If it weren't for the chicken thing, I'd love to take him off your hands. But we lose enough chickens to critters and the neighbors' dogs... I assume he'd provide permanent dispensation with both of those immediately before doing the same for the chickens.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Everydog I ever rescued need a human. Not all human need dogs

baboon,

100% CORRECT.

IF a person wants a beautiful/graceful/friendly/"Velcro" dog that will UNRESERVEDLY love you, your wife & kids, adopt a "former racing" GRAYHOUND, as they are perfectly happy to be a "couch potato" & quickly "become a 2-dimensional object" in an apartment, with just a couple of walks each day & "an occasional run" each week in a well-fenced "dog park".

yours, satx

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon,

100% CORRECT.

IF a person wants a beautiful/graceful/friendly/"Velcro" dog that will UNRESERVEDLY love you, your wife & kids, adopt a "former racing" GRAYHOUND, as they are perfectly happy to be a "couch potato" & quickly "become a 2-dimensional object" in an apartment, with just a couple of walks each day & "an occasional run" each week in a well-fenced "dog park".

yours, satx
    Most dogs look to the alpha male of the pack to know their place. I have seen energetic dogs by nature perfectly happy parked in a chair or on a couch as long as they are physically touching their master. A dog without a master or a weak master might try to become the master or alpha of the pack.

Top Bottom