• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Most dogs look to the alpha male of the pack to know their place. I have seen energetic dogs by nature perfectly happy parked in a chair or on a couch as long as they are physically touching their master. A dog without a master or a weak master might try to become the master or alpha of the pack.

baboon,

Actually, if you "fully buy into" the prevailing "pack theory" (I at least HALF-way do.), the "CENTER" of each pack is the Alpha Female, i.e., the mate of the Alpha Male, as ALL of the other members of the pack will KOW-TOW to & feed/groom/protect her & her "young" with their very lives.

Presuming that the Alpha Female "knows animals" & their behavior, she CAN control/handle the family dog(s) IF there is an Alpha Male in the home (at least some of the time).

When I was married to my late wife, I had a PAIR of spayed "Protection-Trained Dobermans", that even went to work with me at the PMO.
    When I was out of town/on TDY, I was sometime asked, "Aren't you afraid that 'the girls' might hurt your wife? - I've seen them with you at a crime scene."
    I always said, "NO. But I wouldn't suggest that you try to put your hands on her or on my 5YO niece.", as "my girls" see Vickie as their Alpha Female & "the little princess" as Vickie's child. - IF they persisted in questioning me, I also would say, "The real problem is that Vickie or 'the princess' couldn't pull the girls off of a person IF they decided that either one were in danger."

yours, satx

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Most dogs look to the alpha male of the pack to know their place. I have seen energetic dogs by nature perfectly happy parked in a chair or on a couch as long as they are physically touching their master. A dog without a master or a weak master might try to become the master or alpha of the pack.
    Free to a good home and I’m available to meet anytime, Alphaguy

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Dogs are no different than people. Sometimes the only answer is lead to the head.

Edit: He's your responsibility. It's f#$%ing tough, but sometimes you gotta see them to the other side.
    I’m gonna try locking him in a kennel at night - defeats his purpose but won’t destroy my car.
    I may try parking outside the invisible fence, even though it’s my damn parking spot. It seems like there’s something in the car that has the interest of all the dogs, but the GP is the only one climbing on the hood. I haven’t found any animals, snakes, mice, etc. under the hood - who knows?

As much as I want him gone or shot, I’ll probably just beat him for another year or two and he’ll be okay - like Labs.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m gonna try locking him in a kennel at night - defeats his purpose but won’t destroy my car.
    I may try parking outside the invisible fence, even though it’s my damn parking spot. It seems like there’s something in the car that has the interest of all the dogs, but the GP is the only one climbing on the hood. I haven’t found any animals, snakes, mice, etc. under the hood - who knows?

As much as I want him gone or shot, I’ll probably just beat him for another year or two and he’ll be okay - like Labs.
    Odd... your not the only case I've heard of the GP breed doing these kinda of shenanigans. Odd they wanna get on automobiles. I just saw one last week on a sweet 280z. I thought as I drove by "what a sweet 280z, what the hell is that dog doing standing on it." Goat like.....

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Has killed every chicken we own and two of the neighbors' dogs that got into our yard...

Came out to this this morning:
    View attachment 200832
    View attachment 200833
    View attachment 200834

Something must have gotten onto my car during the night. It took everything I had this morning to keep a bullet out of his head.

$85 surrender fee at City of Waco, $.60 for a 125gr 300AAC, or a couple bucks for gas to drop him off in the country.

He's running out of time and I'm running out of patience, chickens and cars.

Completely house trained, crate trained, neutered, great with children and larger dogs.

Terrible with small dogs, chickens and clear coat.
    View attachment 200835

View attachment 200836

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tabb6Kx1naXhMb4g8

I hate those dogs.

Don't forget to mention they sleep all day long and BARK constantly from dark to dawn.

Last edited:

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    I hate those dogs, my neighbor has two and it sounds like the one across to the south has one to.

Don't forget to mention they sleep all day long and BARK constantly from dark to dawn.
    That’s their MO, up all night, sleep all day. That’s what makes training difficult, they’re only assholes in the the middle of the night. They’re perfect little angels during normal hours.

They are very goat-like.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Raised, trained, rescued and showed Rottweilers for quite a few years. Its a lot of work and commitment.

Dogs don't think like humans. That may sound like an obvious statement but watch people with their dogs and notice how they ascribe human motivations to their behavior.

I highly recommend reading some of the works of the Monks of New Skete, particularly 'How to be your dog's best friend' for a little more insight into pack behavior.

When you understand why they do what they do its easier to put yourself in a frame of mind to address the behavior instead of react to your feelings.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015

Your posts about dumping them, shooting them or beating them don't do much for your public opinion here. Take it to the pound or rescue or breed rescue. You do need to be free of this dog, but do it in a way that benefits you and the dog instead of the cruel ideas you have espoused so far.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    That’s their MO, up all night, sleep all day. That’s what makes training difficult, they’re only assholes in the the middle of the night. They’re perfect little angels during normal hours.

They are very goat-like.

hellish horse,

Pardon me for CHUCKLING. - Offhand, I can think of NO animal, human or otherwise, that's much of a problem when they are sound asleep.
    (Unless they snore loudly enough to keep others awake, as my late Uncle Wayne sometimes did.)

yours, satx

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Raised, trained, rescued and showed Rottweilers for quite a few years. Its a lot of work and commitment.

Dogs don't think like humans. That may sound like an obvious statement but watch people with their dogs and notice how they ascribe human motivations to their behavior.

I highly recommend reading some of the works of the Monks of New Skete, particularly 'How to be your dog's best friend' for a little more insight into pack behavior.

When you understand why they do what they do its easier to put yourself in a frame of mind to address the behavior instead of react to your feelings.
    All of our dogs have been raised/trained on the Monks of New Skete principals.
    I also recommend their book, The Art of Raising a Puppy.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Odd... your not the only case I've heard of the GP breed doing these kinda of shenanigans. Odd they wanna get on automobiles. I just saw one last week on a sweet 280z. I thought as I drove by "what a sweet 280z, what the hell is that dog doing standing on it." Goat like.....
    Probably trying to get on high ground to better keep an eye out for threats to the flock.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin

Male dogs can be a real pain in the ass to raise too. How old is he?

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Male dogs can be a real pain in the ass to raise too. How old is he?
    Little over 2 years old
    bzC2__-MQkUBq_xnm2yeAyftGanyns5QopYr0NJ0uG7vtg4uqs9UV5-HGoSPVTDu1hhb3MD5GqUNaqzJpc=w1256-h849-no.jpg

Attachments

• bzC2__-MQkUBq_xnm2yeAyftGanyns5QopYr0NJ0uG7vtg4uqs9UV5-HGoSPVTDu1hhb3MD5GqUNaqzJpc=w1256-h849-no.jpg
      bzC2__-MQkUBq_xnm2yeAyftGanyns5QopYr0NJ0uG7vtg4uqs9UV5-HGoSPVTDu1hhb3MD5GqUNaqzJpc=w1256-h849-no.jpg
      304.9 KB · Views: 270

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    I think the dog is just questioning your choice in automobiles.
    Fortunately for him, this is my daily beater car with 160k on it. Had this been my truck, I probably wouldn't have controlled my anger so well. Something got under the car but the other two dogs didn't react quite so hastily.

Top Bottom