• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i was just flipping through some catalogs and was looking at all of those super cool 'tactical' stocks and mods for the 10/22, and was on the verge of kicking myself for settling on a remington 597, when i thought, why not custom make a nifty little stock for it instead of buying a prepackaged cookie cutter type thing. i threw the idea at one of my buddies, and he suggested modifiyng a pre-existing stock to fit the 597 receiver. also a good idea. anyone else have a 597 that has had thoughts along these lines? or perhaps any tips on stock fabrication?
    in "homemade guns and homemade ammo" i believe the author mentions the only stocks worth having are made from hardwood. but in this case, i was thinking more along the lines of polymer.... could possibly use a bunch of epoxy and an injection mold type setup... with a wood or fiberglass mold... but then again the old m1a1s had very successful tactical folding stocks made from wood and metal...

have never made a stock from scratch but am looking forward to the challenge.

any ideas?
    Target Sports

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hand-laid fiberglass? You'll need some stuff, but you can use a wood form if you want. It's hard, but not as hard as it would sound, though a rifle stock sounds to me like it would be hard to make. It's also going to be a lot heavier than the hollow polymer stocks that are usually found on the market...

If done right, though, it'd probably be a better than a wood stock.

Injection molding isn't something you'll do in your garage, and it's not something you can do with resin. Injection molding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Injection molding equipment isn't cheap, by any means. I made masters for a fellow who did work in his garage. A medium size machine ran into $50,000+ real quickly. A machine large enough to handle rifle stocks is gonna be a bunch more.
    I think epoxy is your best bet.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    back to wood

Couple of guys on rimfirecentral are doing some nice wokr on 10/22s starting with the wood stock, adding wood and shaping it into something entirely new.
    Take a look for some inspiration.

Top Bottom