Greater Houston Gun Ranges

Discussion in 'Houston' started by Acera, Oct 25, 2014.

1. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The first post in this thread will help you come up with a list of candidate ranges. Personally, if you can figure out which ones are accessible to you and tell us which they are, you'll get plenty of recommendations, pro and con, on each one named.

If you're actually at Westheimer and Montrose, you're just SW (as in just a few blocks) from the middle of downtown. Since there are no shooting ranges inside Loop 610, you can just pick a direction and drive. Pretty much every range in town a given distance from you will be equally (in)convenient.

Top Gun is almost certainly the easiest trip to make but I chafe at a max range of 50 feet. Other than that (don't take my word for it; verify via the website at https://www.topgunrange.com/range.html ) it would seem to meet your requirements.

2. Longhorn1986

Longhorn1986 Active Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    Interesting about Hot Wells. I haven't shot there in several years, but I never noticed any slow fire rules.

It's been about 17 years since I've been to Top Gun. They used to be a pretty decent place back in the day. Of course, back then, ASC was a cool place to shoot. I've heard they can, at times have an attitude now, but I am not certain.

3. Longhorn1986

Longhorn1986 Active Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    That's not technically true...some of the wards could pass for shooting ranges!!!!

Actually Liberty Armory, http://thelibertyarmory.com/ on Bellaire is inside the Loop and has a range.

4. zincwarrior

zincwarrior TGT Addict

Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    From their site: They do appear to along slug shotguns on the pistol line now, which is uncommon:

5. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Holy crap, you're right! I didn't know about that one. So now there are some more things that need to come to the notice of specific folks.

satx78247 - Check the Liberty Armory web site. It's a "Private" range for which you must purchase a membership but it would be an easy trip for you. You might want to call them up and ask some questions.

Acera - This is a range that needs to be added to the master list in Post #1.

Everyone - Does anybody else know of any other new ranges (Liberty Armory came into existence well after this thread started.) that need to be added to the list?

Keeping up that list and map, after all, is the true purpose of this thread.

6. smittyb

smittyb Active Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Gun Emporium is now Blackwood Gun Club, and nicer.
    Trinity Armory in Cleveland.

7. smittyb

smittyb Active Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    High Noon is now Spring Guns and Ammo- Crosby.
    Thunder still sucks.

8. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

There is a new indoor range in Richwood.
    Just opened a few weeks ago.

Big Country Indoor Range

Might add them to the list?

9. acorneau

acorneau Well-Known

Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I believe I've made all the updates to the Google map. If someone finds a mistake or omission just let me know and I'll fix it at my next opportunity.

10. RACER X

RACER X TGT Addict

Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Athena allows 556 , it is a boutique range, 1/2 off tue and thurs, one for CHL and the other is Facebook word of the day.

It is one of the nicer indoor ranges in town

It's at bw8 and i10w

Prob should look into Boyert as well, very similar facility

Both top notch, but typically pricey $20 normally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk