• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Corpus Christi
    Has anyone used a green dot? is it worth a dang? I am wanting to buy an NCstar 3-9x42 scope with a green dot mounted on top of it. I can get a really good deal on it. I know it is not the BEST product out there but for the deal I almost cant pass it up. So is the green dot as visible and usable as a red dot?
    Guns International

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Green is as easy to see, though that has more to do with the brightness settings than anything else. I don't know how easy it is to see your target in low light conditions using a green dot vs. red dot. Maybe someone that has used both in low light will chime in to help.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Either would work just fine. You probably need to check them both out to determine your preference (even if it's only in a gun store with artificial light). NCstar...........well, I've never owned one but have also never read anything remotely positive about them. Check out the reviews before you spend your money. Just my two bits. :)

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Either will be fine, green seems to be a little easier to see during the day but if it has a decent brightness setting you'll be good either way you go. NCStar is meh IMO, good if you want something cheap to mess around with but don't expect it to hold up especially if the rifle is gonna get a good amount of use, once it goes out or gets broken don't expect to call customer service. You get what you pay for with those Chinese made knock offs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I have a Trijicon with a green triangle. I have a Pro, have had a compm4. Messed around and shot both green and red. Crosshairs and dots.

Both work as well as each other. I'd use red for fast mindless target acquisition. Green for pin point targets, with a long wait. Study of the area. Red is exciting, tense, active color. Green is a calmer cooler. You can see the eefects of color at the local McDonalds. Most colors are bright yellow and red. They want you to eat and get out. Stay excited, eat, leave. A slower food place, will have browns, blues, greens. Some red, some yellow.

There is a reason traffic lights are Red, yellow, Green.

here's where's I get MHO:

Red is thought in the psyc world to:

Studies have also shown that certain colors can have an impact on performance. Exposing students to the color red prior to an exam has been shown to have a negative impact on test performance. More recently, researchers discovered that the color red causes people to react with greater speed and force, something that might prove useful during athletic activities.

Green:

• Researchers have also found that green canimprove reading ability. Some students may find that laying a transparent sheet of green paper over reading material increases reading speed and comprehension.
    • Green is thought to relieve stress and help heal. Those who have a green work environment experience fewer stomachaches

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I have a Trijicon with a green triangle. I have a Pro, have had a compm4. Messed around and shot both green and red. Crosshairs and dots.

Both work as well as each other. I'd use red for fast mindless target acquisition. Green for pin point targets, with a long wait. Study of the area. Red is exciting, tense, active color. Green is a calmer cooler. You can see the eefects of color at the local McDonalds. Most colors are bright yellow and red. They want you to eat and get out. Stay excited, eat, leave. A slower food place, will have browns, blues, greens. Some red, some yellow.

Studies have also shown that certain colors can have an impact on performance. Exposing students to the color red prior to an exam has been shown to have a negative impact on test performance. More recently, researchers discovered that the color red causes people to react with greater speed and force, something that might prove useful during athletic activities.

Green:

• Researchers have also found that green canimprove reading ability. Some students may find that laying a transparent sheet of green paper over reading material increases reading speed and comprehension.
    • Green is thought to relieve stress and help heal. Those who have a green work environment experience fewer stomachaches

Shit! Wish I'd known all that info while I was workin' everyday before I retired. I'd have been healthy, happy, never pissed off, etc. :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Ive seen isolation jail cells painted pink. Pink is said to calm.....

before anyone chimes in that green dots can't be seen as well as red....has never looked through a scope, dot, glass. mother nature makes nada in acid neon green.

100_4198_zpsbdd30d0c.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Corpus Christi
    Either would work just fine. You probably need to check them both out to determine your preference (even if it's only in a gun store with artificial light). NCstar...........well, I've never owned one but have also never read anything remotely positive about them. Check out the reviews before you spend your money. Just my two bits.

Ive read reviews, I have owned a few NCStar products before with no problems. What I am buying is a 3-9x42 scope with a green dot mounted on top. will be mainly used with the scope for hog hunting just want the holographic sight for up close situations.

Green:

Good info thanks!

Ive seen isolation jail cells painted pink. Pink is said to calm.....

before anyone chimes in that green dots can't be seen as well as red....has never looked through a scope, dot, glass. mother nature makes nada in acid neon green.

100_4198_zpsbdd30d0c.jpg

HMMM....I like that alot.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cheap optics are generally cheap quality. I hate to sound like a jerk, but it's the truth. I have never seen an NCStar product that worked worth a damn, maintained a zero, adjusted consistently, etc.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Corpus Christi
    Cheap optics are generally cheap quality. I hate to sound like a jerk, but it's the truth. I have never seen an NCStar product that worked worth a damn, maintained a zero, adjusted consistently, etc.

I know that, hence the "I know it is not the BEST product out there" in my original post, not trying to sound like a jerk, but the thread is not titled, "Hows the quality of NCStar", I strictly asked for info on green dot vs. red dot. I have owned NCStar items in the past and I understand the quality is subpar, but it will suit the needs for what I will be doing with it.

CplHudson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Texas
    I sell NCStar green/red dot sights, your more than welcome to drop by, fiddle with it and possibly even borrow it for a short time.

We are at the Saxet, Live Oak and Freeman Premier gun shows

LeslieAnn Tactical
    (Its the wife's business, I'm just the underpaid chump who sits at the table all weekend)

Top Bottom