ARJ Defense ad

Greeting from a Hoosier that is TX bound.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minuteman32

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm about to come to the Austin area for work, from Indiana. Kind of looking forward to it, but being an almost lifelong Hoosier, I'm a little nervous about a new states laws. In IN, we pretty much only have to make sure that where we are carrying isn't school/daycare property. No guns signs mean nothing here & we can carry into bars (we could actually get falling down drunk while packin' if we wanted, not illegal & has never been a problem here). Will need to find some good gun shops at some point, with good selection & prices. I've been really spoiled here! My LGS usually has new Glocks for $460 & used for $400 frequently (as an example).
    Going to try to keep my IN residency, at least for a while, as I still have a home there, but will see about a TX ID incase I find a good deal on a pistol. Looking forward to warmer weather & less snow!
    Venture Surplus ad

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I'm about to come to the Austin area for work, from Indiana. Kind of looking forward to it, but being an almost lifelong Hoosier, I'm a little nervous about a new states laws. In IN, we pretty much only have to make sure that where we are carrying isn't school/daycare property. No guns signs mean nothing here & we can carry into bars (we could actually get falling down drunk while packin' if we wanted, not illegal & has never been a problem here). Will need to find some good gun shops at some point, with good selection & prices. I've been really spoiled here! My LGS usually has new Glocks for $460 & used for $400 frequently (as an example).
    Going to try to keep my IN residency, at least for a while, as I still have a home there, but will see about a TX ID incase I find a good deal on a pistol. Looking forward to warmer weather & less snow!

Welcome to Texas from Frisco. Where at in Indiana? I sent some time in Bloomington.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Welcome! As for the various laws and differences, I suggest consulting the CHL-16, which is sort of the "Bible" of our laws and rules. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/forms/chl-16.pdf Hope it helps.

Excellent post/link but I believe their are some changes that have taken place that are not covered in the 2011-2012 CHL-16 link that has been provided. Some listings include the classification of "switchblade" knives and a few others.

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    Excellent post/link but I believe their are some changes that have taken place that are not covered in the 2011-2012 CHL-16 link that has been provided. Some listings include the classification of "switchblade" knives and a few others.

Ugh. You're right. The main points are pretty much unchanged, but you are correct- the updated version is not out yet.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Welcome. The Indiana regs seem more forgiving than Texas, but at least it's not CA, or your favorite eastern broader state, Illinois. Just a few things to remember with the Texas carry laws, and I'm sure you'll adapt.

minuteman32

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Welcome! As for the various laws and differences, I suggest consulting the CHL-16, which is sort of the "Bible" of our laws and rules. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/forms/chl-16.pdf Hope it helps.

Thanks. Ugh! The regs seem rather convoluted, but that could be because I'm used to IN law (and a few other states). I'm pretty sure that I'm going to miss going to my local bar, sitting at the bar having a drink & meal all while packing. While I never got "falling down drunk" while armed (which in and of itself is not illegal in IN), I always figured my gun was much more secure in its holster, on my hip, than in my car or on my motorcycle, even if I did get a little bit of a buzz. (I usually drink so slow anyway that it might as well be water or tea.)

minuteman32

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Welcome. The Indiana regs seem more forgiving than Texas, but at least it's not CA, or your favorite eastern broader state, Illinois. Just a few things to remember with the Texas carry laws, and I'm sure you'll adapt.

No kidding! As good as we have it here, I still would pester my legislators to make it better for us. About the only place that we can't carry in IN is on school/daycare grounds (felony)...... AT ALL, with very limited exceptions. Most other 'restrictions' are a misdemeanor at worst. No legally binding 'no gun' signs, in the last few years got state park carry, pistol carry while deer hunting (with something other than a handgun), ability to have gun in locked car @ work (most places), legalizing auto knives, etc. The only thing we cannot own is a SBS (but we can have an AOW like the Serbu Super Shorty. We were one of the 1st states (if not THE 1st) to be shall issue (in 1930's), as well as one of the 1st to recognize all other licenses to carry .... from anywhere in the world.
    I am amazed at how many folks that I talk to that are not from TX that think everyone carries like in the old west, pistol openly on the hip, rifle/shotgun in the gun rack.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Howdy Hoosier and welcome to Tx. I'm a descendant of a member of the Civil War 25th Indiana Infantry Regiment and I would have in all likelihood have been born in Indiana except that my grandfather moved to Manitoba to become a wheat farmer.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks. Ugh! The regs seem rather convoluted, but that could be because I'm used to IN law (and a few other states). I'm pretty sure that I'm going to miss going to my local bar, sitting at the bar having a drink & meal all while packing. While I never got "falling down drunk" while armed (which in and of itself is not illegal in IN), I always figured my gun was much more secure in its holster, on my hip, than in my car or on my motorcycle, even if I did get a little bit of a buzz. (I usually drink so slow anyway that it might as well be water or tea.)
    Be sure to read PC 42.01 DISORDERLY CONDUCT. on p.33 of the regs.

Top Bottom