Grip & Stance--Core Pistol Skills

Discussion in 'Video How-To's and Tutorials' started by Paul Gomez, Jan 22, 2012.

1. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I get this. I really tried to study up on grip and stance and found myself trying up different stuff each time I was at the range. I was overthinking it too much.

I'm not denying there is a "best" grip or stance, but I think once a person starts shooting a lot, if you are training and not just burning ammo, you'll change towards what works for you.

I started off shooting pistols like WW2 GI's and have mostly broke that and moved towards some sort of a modern stance with a thumbs forward grip. Same thing with sight picture, I was geeking out over a millimeter here and there. Last time I shot, I don't really remember my sight picture. I just fired once the gun settled down and it was "good enough" and I did better than when I was over analyzing it.

Unfortunately I can attest to skills degrading pretty rapidly once you aren't shooting regularly also.

I will add, you all may be better shooters than me and I am sure I would benefit from professional handgun training classes where they may indeed tell me my stance and grip are all ate up.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I agree. I have the tendency to over-analyze the heck out of stuff, although I think there is definitely some significant value in doing that to a degree. I usually find that, once I've learned the skills, I usually shoot best when I stop trying to think too much about it and just SHOOT the gun. ;)

3. iamsamcrawdad

iamsamcrawdad Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Aransas Pass
    Wow. thanks for the video. lots of good info.

4. 35Remington

35Remington TGT Addict

Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I just want to point out that the author of this thread is no longer living. It is worthwhile to take the time to be thankful for every day that we have.

RIP, Paul.

5. Byrd666

Byrd666 Well-Known

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Tagged for later viewing

6. robertc1024

robertc1024 Not That Guy TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    wow - I did not know that

7. TundraWookiee

TundraWookiee Scruffy Nerf Herder TGT Supporter

Jan 9, 2012
    Lake Jackson
    Yeah, Paul went far too soon. Learned so much from that guy and his posts and youtube videos are still some of the best on the internet.

8. Governors20

Governors20 Active Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I am going to try that thumbs forward grip and see if it works better for me when I shoot 3gun.

9. WCDUB

WCDUB Active Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I've not seen anyone mention this idea,so I will. In order to prevent or lessen muzzle rise,
    why not put the index finger of your supporting hand over the front of the trigger guard? I'm
    especially talking about Glocks,
    or any pistol that has a some-what flat front to the trigger guard. I realize that this
    position will not work on a trigger guard with a rounded front.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  10. Acera

Acera TGT Addict

Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas

I think that the finger on the front trigger guard was once thought to be a good idea that has proved to be inefficient and results in overall poor grip due to it forcing the hand out of position in many shooters. Don't know of anybody teaching that method these days. However gun companies think the public wants it, so they keep producing guns with that out there.

Would be interested in hearing what SIG_Fiend has to say on this.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014