• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Looking to buy a ground blind for deer and hog hunting (with rifle, not bow). Needs to be durable, very sturdy, and relatively easy to set up/take down. Can anyone here give me a good starting point for my shopping?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Wish I could help. I just take a machete and cut juniper, oak, or whatever is available, build a hide, and sit on my backpack and shoot off of sticks. I would recommend a Martindale machete. ;)

Last edited:

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I have used the doghouse blinds in the past and finally spent a little more money this year and bought an Ameristep Bone Collector Brotherhood blind. I used it this weekend and fell in love. Plenty of room for bow and lots of window options as well.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Theres one at tractor supply ive beem thinking of buying. Its basically a fold out chair with a blind that folds over you. I have several set up that are permanent structures and this is one that would be perfect for mobility and easily to carry.

One_Man_Hunting_chair_blind.jpg

It was between $60-80 a tad expensive for what it is but well worth it i think.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    the one I got, and I don't know the name off hand is the type you just toss it out and it pops up almost by itself.
    plenty of head room and visibility, easy to get in and out of, the problem came when I tried to pack #$%@$@$^^&$^ back up.
    I had to find a guy on youtube and watch it about 10 times. For that reason alone, I don't like that quick deploy style

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    A lot of people swear by the Double Bull/Primos brand because of the Leupold like warranty, but they are expensive $400+.

Some less expensive popups that I have experience with is (1) for tall people the Barronett Big Mike, a hunting buddy is 6' 6" and loves it. (2) The Redhead Blackout at Bass Pro Shop easy to put up and take down and my favorite (3) Hunter's Specialties Hide-N-Hunt that I got at Walmart. Easy to put up and take down, hasn't faded much in three years, and doesn't leak. It might not be great for tall bow hunters but for rifle it's great.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Wish I could help. I just take a machete and cut juniper, oak, or whatever is available, build a hide, and sit on my backpack and shoot off of sticks. I would recommend a Martindale machete. ;)

Yeah, done plenty of that. Just looking for a litte more comfort this time around. LOL

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    A lot of people swear by the Double Bull/Primos brand because of the Leupold like warranty, but they are expensive $400+.

Some less expensive popups that I have experience with is (1) for tall people the Barronett Big Mike, a hunting buddy is 6' 6" and loves it. (2) The Redhead Blackout at Bass Pro Shop easy to put up and take down and my favorite (3) Hunter's Specialties Hide-N-Hunt that I got at Walmart. Easy to put up and take down, hasn't faded much in three years, and doesn't leak. It might not be great for tall bow hunters but for rifle it's great.

Thanks Hondo, that's helpful. I Don't mind paying for quality so the Primos will be the first i one i check out, followed by the others you listed.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Generally speaking, 'durable' and 'easy to set up/take down' are at odd with one another. I bought a pop-up from the Sportsman's Guide mail order company that is really easy to set up and it has lasted me about 5 years...BUT I don't leave it out in the field. I carry it in and out every time. They also sell a little tripod swivel chair that fits perfectly inside. My only complaint: it is basically a glorified tent, so all of the wind-related limitations you can imagine will apply.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    the one I got, and I don't know the name off hand is the type you just toss it out and it pops up almost by itself.
    plenty of head room and visibility, easy to get in and out of, the problem came when I tried to pack #$%@$@$^^&$^ back up.
    I had to find a guy on youtube and watch it about 10 times. For that reason alone, I don't like that quick deploy style
    I've got one of those too and I dig it. It's pretty lightweight and can be carried as a backpack. It's not hard to fold back up if you're familiar with those fold up windshield shades. You just sorta twist and fold at the same time and it collapses in on itself. That said, my girlfriend can never close those things so I guess some people are just challenged like that :rolleyes:

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I really don't like most blinds, it makes me uncomfortable when I can't either move fast or see behind me.

I'll use dead limbs and a blanket most of the time if I'm going to be fairly close, or if I'm going to be out all night and may need protection from weather I've got a cheap black mesh camping tent (similar to the black window covers down here). The tent seems to work out well, it's hard to see in and easy to see out of. I've had many an animal wander up next to it and not notice me. With the mesh tent, it's no big deal if I shoot through it, and I've got 360 degree view, and rain cover if I need to toss it on. Plus, I can lay prone in it for hours comfortably pr sit in a chair.

On paper it doesn't sound like the best solution, but it's worked far more than other blinds I've used.

Top Bottom