• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Wade you've got a handle on the pictures now. :)

Thank you for sharing. I've told the story a few times here but one of my fondest memories is loading wax .38 cartridges with my grandfather using hand tools before shooting them in his garage.
    Target Sports

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Well my point was that I personally have no desire to pull levers and yank-crank tons of ammo from a machine.
    I enjoy the leisurely close contact and feel of loading each round with just the strength of my hands. I call it Accuracy Therapy that keeps me limber. Loads great rounds. And doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy.

Just showing an alternative to the zippidy-zing monster presses and a look back in time. The tong style loading tools date back to the 1880' s.
    Not for everyone....
    While I certainly can respect the manual methods, for me it's a lesson in the economy of scale. Any time I can get the opportunity to load some ammo, the length of time available is limited. I need to be able to reliably and accurately crank out the most work in the shortest duration, so a good auto-indexing progressive press is the way to go. Maybe when I add some more years and the available time grows, I'll add true hand loading to my skillset.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    While I certainly can respect the manual methods, for me it's a lesson in the economy of scale. Any time I can get the opportunity to load some ammo, the length of time available is limited. I need to be able to reliably and accurately crank out the most work in the shortest duration, so a good auto-indexing progressive press is the way to go. Maybe when I add some more years and the available time grows, I'll add true hand loading to my skillset.

Agreed.
    Loading with the 310 is very time consuming.
    I only use it to reload black powder .45-70 rounds as the volume fired is very low.
    High volume usage ammo such as 9mm or .38 pistol no way.

TheProphet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    Wade, your way of reloading certainly does seem pretty relaxing. Reloading is something I've had an interest in but just haven't bit the bullet, so to speak, and gotten into.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Gentlemen, I get it. Speed rules. Old school drools.... Ok....
    I only posted this to point out a total hands on method of loading.

I fully understand about shooters that burn through ammo like its going outta style. I watch a neighbor load and shoot as fast as his weapons will fire. He's got a progressive now to feed his addiction. He doesn't hit much. Stepson is of the "spray-n-pray" school of police. Burns through ammo like crazy. He thinks it cool to empty a mag über fast.

This was NOT intended as a progressive vs 310 tool shootout. Only a discussion of alternative loading style from a bygone era that appeals to me. I get it...

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Didn't mean it as a progressive vs hand reloading but when you diss progressive loaders I had to put in my 2 cents worth. No foul on my end. I think it's more of a different strokes for different folks deal.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Ever dealt with Rick at The 310 Shop? Good guy, has almost everything you might need as far as 310 stuff goes. Not my ideal loading tool (not a pun, BTW), but I've bought replacement parts from him to get dies or handles up and running. I do sell on evilbay, including the occasional 310 tool. Not my ideal tool, no pun intended, I a use a single stage, a turret, and a progressive, depending on my needs. Yeah, some of the sellers there have no clue what they are selling, but want 3x the current market price. As a 35 year handloader, I've worked with a lot of tools and equipment, and work hard to get it right. Only 310 dies I have now are a 220 Swift set with a bent seating stem, need to get a replacement from Rick but been busy.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Yup, I'll be hitting him up for a .452" bullet sizing chamber soon. Though I have a marked .452" it sizes at .454". Bit big for a 45ACP bullet. But yeah he's got the stuff huh?!

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    The bullet sizing chambers are harder to find, but perseverance pays off. Sizing is after pan lube or dipping with melted lube then sized when cooled.

The vultures, um, eBay sellers that don't know anything, often misidentify the bullet sizing chambers and loose the fitted punches. Its taken a few years to accumulate my tools.

One neighbor uses a 310 to load 30'06 and 30-30. Loads jacketed and one powder for both. And yes, I taught him to use the 310. His motivation was saving space.

The 310 would be dynamite for a prepper with one rifle or pistol. Loading gear can fit in a single pocket of a backpack.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    What can I say? I'm a little on the cheap side. I can usually find them for about six to eight dollars on fleabay. And besides I've got a very good 80s model Lyman 450 resizer that I use regularly. I'm old-fashioned true, but I'm not stupid yuck yuck yuck!:laughing:

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Negative on lucky. I'm patient.
    I wait, watch, and the right one appears.
    Meanwhile I use my 450 a bunch. The sizing chambers for the 310 are mostly nostalgic really. The loading dies and tongs are another deal all together. I use them regularly.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    I know y'all will be pleased to hear that for the past two days I've been using my old Lyman Spar-T bench mounted press. Loaded 150 .38Spl with ACME 158 SWC no-lube-groove poly coated rounds. [I tried coating myself but found it a genuine pain in the ass. Thus I let someone else play with paint & ovens]

Used the SparT just for a break. :)

Top Bottom