• ...and so much more!
  • Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    Hello,

Are there any books about guns that you all would recomend? I am new to shooting, so specifically I am looking for something geared to people just learning and something that will define the terminology. Thanks everyone!
    Hurley's Gold

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    I'm reading Cooper's The Art of the Rifle.

I have to say I learned a few things already. It's not really a step by step guide to becoming an instant rifleman, but a broad overview on what the rifleman can expect to encounter and some advice on how to prepare for it.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    Someone recommended Boston's Gun Bible to me, and I just got it from Amazon a couple days ago. Haven't started in on it yet, but in thumbing through it, it looks really good and has a bit of everything.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Someone recommended Boston's Gun Bible to me, and I just got it from Amazon a couple days ago. Haven't started in on it yet, but in thumbing through it, it looks really good and has a bit of everything.
    Most of those 800 something pages is rhetoric. I feel that it's likely to turn someone off if all they are looking for is shooting tips and gun info. Still, there is a lot of good info in there and the guy has obviously done his research. You just have to wade through quite a bit of, uh... opinion... to get to the meat of it. Much like an internet forum

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Finn Aagaard -Selected Works- Very interesting. Deals with shooting of all types, in the U.S. and Africa as well as calibers, actions, etc. Not deep into technology but written in a down-to-earth manner.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Most of those 800 something pages is rhetoric. I feel that it's likely to turn someone off if all they are looking for is shooting tips and gun info. Still, there is a lot of good info in there and the guy has obviously done his research. You just have to wade through quite a bit of, uh... opinion... to get to the meat of it. Much like an internet forum

My lady friend got the book, and really liked it. Then there was a mad race to find a SMLE and a 50 BMG to squirrel away for later. As TheDan said, it's opinionated.

I think it would be a good book for a novice to check out.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    As TheDan said, it's opinionated.
    BTW, I don't want to leave the impression that I necessarily disagree (I'm also one of those original intent 2A "nuts"), but the author has a way of laying it on thick. I think the author would have done the readers a better service breaking it into two or three separate books. Maybe I was just expecting more of technical book and less preaching to the choir

What troubles me is that I don't really have a better book to recommend. I'm watching this thread for new items to add to my library, too.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx

It's been put in the bathroom for ....well, you know.....short reads. Haven't bought any new magazines lately. I knew going into it that is was that sort of book.

redneckinmontrose

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    A few items on my shelf:
    Blue Book of Gun Values
    Homicidal Humor
    More Homicidal Humor
    Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting
    Elmer Keith, The Other Side of a Western Legend
    No Second Place Winner
    The Art of the Rifle
    From Luby's to the Legislature
    Standard Catalog of Firearms
    In the Gravest Extreme
    Combat Rifle Marksmanship Exercises
    Principles of Personal Defense
    Boston's Gun Bible
    Armed and Female

They vary from mindset to technical information. The Homicide books are some of the funniest words written. Should be a third one out soon.

Top Bottom