• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The body cams? Agreed. Gun cams? I think that's overkill.

I can make a pretty long list of incidences where body cams did not show everything that happened, which sparked a lot of arguments over what actually happened. They're good, but they're not perfect. They can get knocked off or they might not be pointed right where they need to be to show what's happening during an incident.

The gun cam is a back up. If an officer has to shoot somebody, it's going to show what happened in that moment, at least as far as where the gun was pointed.

They will work together to create a fuller picture of an incident.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Which is why the officer I was with told me to always place the camera face down when using the bathroom. And also to make sure if you’re camera goes home with you, when you take your vest off you out it in a closet or facing a wall and not in view of your bedroom/bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How do the cameras communicate with each other?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Because it will turn on when another officer on duty draws his sidearm. Then whatever it picks up in your bedroom, closet, on the shitter, etc is recorded too.
    Well, I sure missed that little detail.
    I'll go back to post #21 and leave it at that.

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    Is anyone thinking of cost/benefit? All these gadgets and gizmo's are neat - but unless they physically better protect our officers, I think the taxpayer needs a break.

I agree, especially with smaller departments. I work at an agency where we still have to provide our own equipment, including duty weapon.

We’re still behind the curve on getting some equipment most people would think all departments have by default. We have a wish list of what we need or want as our budget allows. This wouldn’t be in our top 10, if it made the list at all.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I agree, especially with smaller departments. I work at an agency where we still have to provide our own equipment, including duty weapon.

We’re still behind the curve on getting some equipment most people would think all departments have by default. We have a wish list of what we need or want as our budget allows. This wouldn’t be in our top 10, if it made the list at all.
    Sounds like number one hire should be an experienced grant writer. There is no reason for any agency to be without equipment.

ETA, when you see grants and equipment going to large agencies it's because small ones dont ask. The money is there you just have to get it. Sometimes it's a multi year process which is why the experienced grant writer is so important. Its money well spent.

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    Sounds like number one hire should be an experienced grant writer. There is no reason for any agency to be without equipment.

ETA, when you see grants and equipment going to large agencies it's because small ones dont ask. The money is there you just have to get it. Sometimes it's a multi year process which is why the experienced grant writer is so important. Its money well spent.

Your not wrong, I’m just pointing out a difference between textbook and reality. If the goal is to protect officers, some of us have more pressing requirements than firearm cams.

Talk2Me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2020
    It is rail mounted and a 500 lumen light is part of the set-up. One is also available with a laser sight.

They say it comes on automatically when the gun is drawn from the holster, I would hope that means only the camera and not necessarily the light or the laser.
    Viridian is offering this gizmo up to LEOs with a try for free button.
    https://gun-camera.com/
    I assume it uses the ECR tech that I got with my gun light. I really like the gun light. I'm not a shill for Viridian and the holster that came with the light is a POS that can NOT secure a gun, but the tech is good. I would like to get a gun camera but I don't think it's being offered to the public yet.

Top Bottom