• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    What's the first rule when cleaning a firearm? Check, double check then triple check that it's unloaded! Hell, even the newspaper knows it!

It's stories like that that fuel the anti-gun coalition!

Gun-cleaning misfire catches bystander in the back

SAN ANTONIO -- You would think If you were going to clean a gun, the first thing you would do is un-load it.

Apparently not everyone thinks that way.

There was an accidental shooting overnight that left two people bleeding, but extremely lucky.

It happened around around 11 p.m. Saturday at a home on Village Cliff.

Police say a man was cleaning his gun and taking it apart when it went off.

The bullet went through the man's hand and hit a his son's friend in the back.

Both were taken to University Hospital in stable condition.

Police say it appears to have been an accident. No charges will be filed.
    Target Sports

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I never really understood how you can clean a loaded and ready to fire gun. It would seem hard to get a cleaning brush down the barrel with a round in the chamber. Maybe I am missing some little trick in the gun cleaning process?

Either way, when you are dumb you gotta be tough.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    11PM on a Saturday night? Guessing the "cleaning story" is just that. Late night and ignoring the 4 Rules. Lucky that no one was injured worse.

If they had said they were drunk/stoned/careless/homicidal with shitty aim, there would have been charges.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I never really understood how you can clean a loaded and ready to fire gun. It would seem hard to get a cleaning brush down the barrel with a round in the chamber. Maybe I am missing some little trick in the gun cleaning process?

I agree. I don't even understand why these guys had it loaded in the first place, other than a home defense gun, but then you should always know it's loaded...

Depends on the model of the firearm. For the XD take down procedure you have to pull the trigger, guys mess that one up all the time, its my biggest pet peeve with the gun. They changed that on the XDm Models thank goodness. So it is actually pretty easy to do in some cases...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Depends on the model of the firearm. For the XD take down procedure you have to pull the trigger, guys mess that one up all the time, its my biggest pet peeve with the gun. They changed that on the XDm Models thank goodness. So it is actually pretty easy to do in some cases...
    Glocks are the same way, but it doesn't explain why he had his hand in front of the muzzle.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Every gun in this house is loaded, with the exception of a few of the antiques. Guess what? We don't have AD's, because everyone KNOWS they're loaded. Period. If you can't keep your hands off my guns, keep the hell away.

And yeah - the "cleaning it" line is just that - a line.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've read two stories of folks shooting themselves in the hand while disassembling glocks. I watched a dealer at a gun show disassemble one by putting the muzzle in his palm, pulling the trigger and using his palm to move the slide far enough to release it. I pointed out how, while I'm sure he knew it was unloaded, shouldn't he have pointed it in a safe direction and pulled the trigger instead? (pointing out how I'd seen pictures of someone's hand who had done something similar) I quickly got told off about how I must be pretty bad at firearm safety while all the nearby fudds and mall ninjas were laughing and agreeing...

People will defend their stupidity to the death.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX

You gotta wonder. "I need to clean this thing more often - damn thing's all clogged with bullets..."

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Usually during disassembly. Just look at how you take a Glock down. Skip a step, you're putting a hole in something you don't want to.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    11PM on a Saturday night? Guessing the "cleaning story" is just that. Late night and ignoring the 4 Rules. Lucky that no one was injured worse.

If they had said they were drunk/stoned/careless/homicidal with shitty aim, there would have been charges.

I am with you. Sounds fishy to me.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Chamber checking is the easiest damn thing in the world. Maybe more people will understand why I am practically OCD about it. That split second manipulation of the slide could save a lot of money and lives, and it could save YOUR life too if it's you loading up your carry gun or defensive gun and ensuring it is chambered. As adults, we should ALWAYS be responsible enough to know the condition of our gun anytime we are handling it. If you're not sure, friggin check! Don't just roll the dice.

Schue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    FT Hood

I have 2 XDs and you have to cock the slide to the rear in order to manipulate the take-down lever. If you have a round in the chamber, then you can clearly see that it is there before you manipulate the take-down lever and release the slide.

If you miss the round (staring you in the face) when you release the slide forward and pull the trigger, you are more than just an idiot.

I bet that they were messed up on something and playing around.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have 4-5 guns that I use for personal defense and concealed carry. I NEVER unload those tools! My concern was that I would make a mistake. Did I load that? Did I chamber a round? It's real simple, here.......yes, they are loaded. Yes, a round is chambered.

I live alone (except for my little dog, Jake) but If I have company that I'm concerned about, I put the pieces in a small safe used for the purpose......still loaded.

When a tool needs maintenance, it is unloaded, serviced and immediately reloaded.

Flash

Top Bottom