gun cleaning

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by chad10, May 19, 2009.

1. chad10

chad10 New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Need to clean my guns were do I start what do I need for in a kit does wd40 work anybody use rim bore cleaner will this work on the hole gun

2. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    WE40 will clean off some oils and fouling and replace water if the gun got wet. If that is all you have on hand, it will work in a pinch. But it's not a very good long term lub or protector. If you want one product, go with a CLP. Most easy to find is Breakfree. That stands for Clean - Lubricate - Protect. The idea and fromulation was developed for the military to make it easy to take care of guns in the feild. CLP works pretty well, except for metal fouling in your barrels. It will remove some, but there are other products to do that.

I'd say a good starter kit for cleaning is some Breakfree, some Hoppes #9 solvent, some Hoppes gun oil, and depeding on the gun, some grease like Slide Glide, Rig +P or TW25B. Of course a cleaning rod, brushes, jags and patches will be needed to take care of the inside of the bore. Bore snakes work will too if there is not too much fouling in the barrel. I use those on my .22's for a quick clean up after shooting a couple hundred rounds.

3. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I use Shooter's Choice MC#7 to clean my firearms. Then I'll lubricate them with Hoppe's 9 oil or Rem oil. You'll find that there are a lot of different solvents & lubricants, along with different type patches & brushes. You'll have to try them your self to know which one's work best for you.

I also like to use Berchwood Casey GUN SCRUBBER Synthetic Safe Cleaner on really dirting firearms. Make sure you wear eye protection, though.:2cents:

4. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    You boys got this one covered well, soooooooooo - I'm just passin through!

5. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The least you could have done was give the OP a couple commas and a question mark or two.

6. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    And maybe a w.....:rofl:

7. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    :rofl:Apology to OP - ,,Www???:rofl:

8. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    "hole" gun

Sorry, I could not help it, but Pete started it!!!

9. Army 1911

Army 1911 Well-Known

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    It might help if we knew what guns you are cleaning Things like model caliber pistol rifle shotgun tank howitzer etc

Hey Pete here are the commas and other punctuation for this. ,,,,,,,,..

Mo made me do it. :devil:

10. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I did? Oh, uh, yep I did!

Army 1911 does make a good point.
    There are a few guns out there that have some special cleaning needs.