gun cleaning

chad10

Apr 30, 2009
Need to clean my guns were do I start what do I need for in a kit does wd40 work anybody use rim bore cleaner will this work on the hole gun

navyguy

TGT Addict
Oct 22, 2008
DFW Keller
WE40 will clean off some oils and fouling and replace water if the gun got wet. If that is all you have on hand, it will work in a pinch. But it's not a very good long term lub or protector. If you want one product, go with a CLP. Most easy to find is Breakfree. That stands for Clean - Lubricate - Protect. The idea and fromulation was developed for the military to make it easy to take care of guns in the feild. CLP works pretty well, except for metal fouling in your barrels. It will remove some, but there are other products to do that.

I'd say a good starter kit for cleaning is some Breakfree, some Hoppes #9 solvent, some Hoppes gun oil, and depeding on the gun, some grease like Slide Glide, Rig +P or TW25B. Of course a cleaning rod, brushes, jags and patches will be needed to take care of the inside of the bore. Bore snakes work will too if there is not too much fouling in the barrel. I use those on my .22's for a quick clean up after shooting a couple hundred rounds.

dbgun

TGT Addict
Mar 17, 2008
Houston, TX.
I use Shooter's Choice MC#7 to clean my firearms. Then I'll lubricate them with Hoppe's 9 oil or Rem oil. You'll find that there are a lot of different solvents & lubricants, along with different type patches & brushes. You'll have to try them your self to know which one's work best for you.

I also like to use Berchwood Casey GUN SCRUBBER Synthetic Safe Cleaner on really dirting firearms. Make sure you wear eye protection, though.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
Mar 17, 2008
Dallas Texas or so
It might help if we knew what guns you are cleaning Things like model caliber pistol rifle shotgun tank howitzer etc

Hey Pete here are the commas and other punctuation for this. ,,,,,,,,..

Mo made me do it.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
Jan 23, 2009
Ft.Worth
It might help if we knew what guns you are cleaning Things like model caliber pistol rifle shotgun tank howitzer etc

Hey Pete here are the commas and other punctuation for this. ,,,,,,,,..

Mo made me do it.
I did? Oh, uh, yep I did!

Army 1911 does make a good point.
There are a few guns out there that have some special cleaning needs.

Top Bottom