• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lil'Joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Houston
    I have noticed since the recent election, that there is has been a run on guns and ammo. I understand the concepts of free market and supply and demand, but I also perceive what appears to be a very dangerous precedent being set.

At a recent gun show in Conroe, the price for an AR-15 increased from around $1,000 to near $2,000 in a little over 24-hours. This seems to me, blatant greed, price gouging on a scale that would have landed the perpetrators in deep kemchee had this been done during say Hurricane Ike. This goes outside the bounds of supply and demand.

I just today read of a new owner in Michigan going to pick up a pistol he had recently purchased and paid 50% down on, being told that the firearms had increased in price $100+ dollars because of the new Obama law.

I understand everyone's concern over this new CIC and his overt disregard for the 2nd Amendment, but aren’t we playing into his hands by pricing firearms and ammunition out of the range of the common citizen.

I have to ask, once the dust settles, how many of these "New" gun owners are going to be loyal to the pro 2nd amendment crowd and how many will turn-away at the obvious greed that seems to be permeating the culture.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    In all, I don't think it will have much effect on anyone in the long run.

I think there a few types buying guns right now:

1. Those that were already considering a purchase and now feel a sense of urgency to go ahead and do it.
    2. Those that want to buy items now to later sell at a profit.
    3. Those that are fearful of the incoming administration.

I have seen the price of firearm products rise at some places, others are still selling at their normal prices. Assault rifles seem to have risen in price, but only a couple hundred dollars at the places I frequent. I have not seen a doubling in price.

I'd sell my new/unfired AR right now if somebody offered me twice what I paid........heck, I'd sell it for just 1.5 times what I paid.

As for the Obama law, of course there is not one.....so that is just sad that somebody tried to do that.

Lil'Joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Houston
    Not quite sure that I completely agree with your assessment. The price increase did happen at the Gun Show last weekend at Conroe.

So is there a difference between you selling your AR-15 for what you can get for it and dealers inflating the price. Not judging, just wondering your take.

Let's see what happens at the George R. Brown this weekend.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    if someone is willing to pay you twice what you paid for your rifle...that is their problem not yours.

the only way the market could support the doubling of prices would be if people paid that price....so it is supply and demand. if people were not willing to pay...the price would drop to a point that they would.

This is not the same as after a hurricane. there is a difference in screwing people trying to buy food and water to survive. you will survive without a new AR-15.

Plenty of AR's available for reasonable prices from private owners too.

not wanting to start an arguement, but the hurricane is a bad analogy

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    2. Those that want to buy items now to later sell at a profit.

This is the part that upsets me. Yet again, greed drives the prices higher.

The government is not driving the prices up, people panic-buying or wanting to make an easy buck are driving them up. All at the expense of their fellow gun owners.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    So is there a difference between you selling your AR-15 for what you can get for it and dealers inflating the price. Not judging, just wondering your take.

Let's see what happens at the George R. Brown this weekend.

I really do think there is a difference between me (a private individual) and dealers (a private company).

When an individual sells something they own, they always try to get the most out of it (be it a car, motorcycle, or just having a garage sale).

Dealers and wholesalers should be using price sheets and discounts based on quantity or customer size.

Supply and demand will dictate the market direction for firearms. I am amazed at the sheer number of people that have decided they suddenly need an AR. My wife and I are two of them, but we were already considering the purchase.

We got ours on Nov.6 [post election], so maybe I don't see as much of a price increase because we paid an inflated price? I guess my perception may be skewed, I may have a different view if I had purchased it 6 months ago for a few hundred less..

Let us know what you see going on at the George R Brown.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    This is the part that upsets me. Yet again, greed drives the prices higher.

The government is not driving the prices up, people panic-buying or wanting to make an easy buck are driving them up. All at the expense of their fellow gun owners.

I know a guy that bought 10 nice AR's........we'll see how that works out for him.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I was a "panic buyer" back in '93 just before the Clinton AWB was enacted. I paid almost 2x the normal retail price for a Colt H-Bar from a private seller...and based on what I was seeing at the time, that was the going rate. I haven't priced that particular rifle lately, but here it is 15 years later, and I am sure that I am still "upside down" on that purchase.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I was a "panic buyer" back in '93 just before the Clinton AWB was enacted. I paid almost 2x the normal retail price for a Colt H-Bar from a private seller...and based on what I was seeing at the time, that was the going rate. I haven't priced that particular rifle lately, but here it is 15 years later, and I am sure that I am still "upside down" on that purchase.

LOL...we bought 2 flat-tops.
    I bought a DPMS A3 Lite 16 for $899.
    and the DPMS LR-308 sportical for $1099.

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I know a guy that bought 10 nice AR's........we'll see how that works out for him.

That makes my point. Sad, considering if he kept 2 (one for a spare), he could help out 8 other gun owners. But no, he grabbed up 10, helped to dry up the supply, and became part of the cause to raise prices.

Too many gun owners are about the "I gotta get mine" attitude. That is why I do not think we will succeed in the long run.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    That makes my point. Sad, considering if he kept 2 (one for a spare), he could help out 8 other gun owners. But no, he grabbed up 10, helped to dry up the supply, and became part of the cause to raise prices.

Too many gun owners are about the "I gotta get mine" attitude. That is why I do not think we will succeed in the long run.

I agree. If you took those people out of the equation, the prices may have stayed stable. It is analogous to the stock market.......

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    To his credit, he does spend a lot on firearms. He's got 2 Barrett .50's, a bunch of silencers, full-auto rifles, and all the things that are fun to play with......him buying 10 AR's is like me going out to dinner. He has a disproportionately high amount of discretionary income.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I bought a WASR 10 at the beginning of the year but I really want a Yugo underfolder. I saw one for $550 at the gun show in Austin a couple of months back. I didn't have enough money to buy it at the time!!:banghead: I am gonna wait and see if the buying craze slows down so I can find another one easier.:1zhelp:

Can someone tell me if the price increase is just for so-called 'assault weapons' or every type of gun?

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Its the nature of the beast. Happens to everything, not just guns. Announce a new sin tax on cigarettes and sales go through the roof with people stocking up. Its how the free market works, prices are dependent on what the market will bear. If people are stupid enough to pay $2K for an AR then they deserve to be fleeced. You can bet that if there werent silly people buying AR's at those prices those prices would be changed in a couple of days if not hours at a gun show. The gullible buyers are as much to blame for the price increases as anybody. Just look at the housing market and auto market. You are paying the most that the market will bear for that particular good. Always have and always will.

For the most part, I have seen prices go up very little around Austin. Just picked up a G21 and G34 for the same price as they were weeks ago, so I didnt get jacked up. I have had a tough time finding AR parts to finish my project gun though, so we'll see what the gun show this weekend brings price and availability wise. Online retailers like Bravo Company, G&R Tactical... have had consistent prices although stock is hard to find.

bozack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    Pflugerville, TX
    Yeah, ammo mags etc have gone crazy.

I was looking at a Moss 500 and figured I could wait for the holidays since it was a 12 gauge and people shouldn't be too worried about shotguns. Went into Academy today and they said every store is already out of them and they may not see any restock still Jan....

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Instability, either real or imagined, will drive up prices and promote somewhat idiotic behavior even among people that seem pretty well adjusted. Hell, I've stocked up on ammo... (just in case) but I've only bought what I want as stock for personal use.

People are a little nervous about the incoming administration, but I hardly think it is time to panic.

Top Bottom